Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Remco driveline disconnect experiences please

Still trying to figure out my best TOAD option for my motorhome. recap from a prior thread... I have lots of cars, none easily "TOAD"able, and have a car hauler that is 2' too long for combined length laws in CA.

One of my cars I wouldn't mind hauling behind me, and I know I will have it for a while, is my 7.3 PSD Ford Excursion. Now, it is 4WD which means I would need to drop the driveline to flat tow it. I am not at all interested in investing $2K in a towing/brake setup to then have to play with the driveline all the time.

Sooo, I am considering the Remco driveline disconnect setup. Looks like it is about $700 PLUS existing driveline modifications.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup??

Any Issue?

Any concerns for a vehicle as large as an Excursion? The driveline would need to support a lot of torque the Excursion would create when it itself is towing.

Thanks All

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

According to their web site, Remco , sold out of the disconnect business in 2008. and is referring questions to ; Drive Shaft King in Dallas TX, 1-800-442-6329.
Could be why your not getting any help with your question.
If someone is offering you a Remco unit , they must have had it gathering dust for a long time.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris, I just had a "REMCO" drive shaft installed in 2007 Ford F-150. It was ordered by a local hitch dealer in Memphis, TN. They installed it as well as brake assist. I have no issue towing, but when driving F-150, I am having vibration issues from 35 mph to about 55 mph. Worse at slower speeds. Local shop says its not balanced correctly and will make it right if they have to send it back. As for cost it depends on type of vehicle and type of original equipment. F-150s aparently have three types of original shafts that ranged from $1,100.00 to $1,700.00 installed here.

The shaft was NOT ordered from Remco. As Skip says they refer you to Drive Shaft King but that was not who they got mine from.
Mike & Donna with two rescues Rebel and Dixie, near Memphis, TN
2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD, 400 hp Cummins
2003 HD Electra Glide, 2007 Ford F-150 toad
Shade Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Thanks so far guys, I would have my OE shaft shortened and balanced myself.

Any others to chime in?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I had Drive Shaft King in Dallas, TX install a disconnect May, 2012. About $1200 I think. This was on my 2006 Dodge Dakota.

I've towed a little over 8000 miles now with no problems. Great crew doing the work.

No vibrations, easy connect/disconnect.

They don't just shorten the driveshaft. They cut it about 6" from the rear U-joint and install the parts needed on the shaft, while trimming the long end to maintain the correct overall length.

This is a little over-simplified but close.

No real hassle to use.
2002 38' Diplomat
Keith & Shirley
Durant, OK
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To the OP's last question... does Remco stand behind their product if it is installed on a vehicle (e.g. Excursion) that can/will tow significant weight?
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
I have a 2000 expedition that I put on myself the complete new drive shaft with the drive shaft disconnect it now has 117k miles on the odometer and about 30k being pulled.i still have the original drive shaft in the box just in case.They told me it does not change the tow rating and I've pulled some heavy trailers 13years and not 1 problem.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Sounds like this is the solution for me, thanks for all of the help folks.

I called manufacturer and they can supply everything I need with about a 4 day lead time.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Sounds like this is the solution for me, thanks for all of the help folks.

I called manufacturer and they can supply everything I need with about a 4 day lead time.

I did a lot of research on this when we were considering towing a Non-flat towable" toad. I talked with folks and read many feed backs on the "Drive line" disconnect. And, from what I found out, many folks will NEVER do it again. The primary reason is, that system is a "splined" system and, while perfectly clean, in clean environment, the sliding mechanism can work as it's supposed to. But, after many miles of towing and, in somewhat less than desirable conditions like rain, mud, road debris, accumulated dust/water moisture, small rocks etc. many have found it impossible for the sliding/spline mechanism to re-engage without them sliding under the toad and doing some extensive cleaning of the splines, in order for them to slide easily.

Now, some have had not too many problems but, some, have had re-engagement issues since day one. And, many reported "imbalanced" drive shafts after the unit was installed. So, this is just some info for you to ponder over before making your final decision. We decided that it was not worth it and changed toads. I not only will not get under there, after a long days drive and "clean some splines" or, disconnect or re-connect a drive shaft, EVER!

There's a zillion toads out there that can be flat towed without ever having to do things like that. And, one more thing, just wondering, after you pay the $1200 or so for the building of this sliding mechanism and, let's say you have problems with it, are they willing to put it back to a stock condition for you at their cost? Just wondering.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Now, it is 4WD which means I would need to drop the driveline to flat tow it.
OK, I'm confused by this statement. If your Excursion is 4WD, doesn't it have a Neutral position on the selector switch/lever for the transfer case? Some Fords with the electronic selector switch with no Neutral position could utilize a dealer-installed mod that gave a Neutral position for recreational towing; is yours a candidate for that mod?

If, on the other hand, your Excursion does NOT have 4WD and you're going the Remco-type driveshaft disconnect route, I'd strongly suggest having the vendor build you a complete new driveshaft with the disconnect device installed, balanced, etc. That way, you'd still have the original driveshaft just in case.....

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
I had drive shaft king do mine it was as others said about $1200 have over 80000 miles on it no problems yet good people
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
akeyzoo.....I did my own Remco install on a 2010 Nissan Frontier. To start, by the time your done, it will cost about $1000.00 if you do your own work. They ask for an exact measurement of your old driveshaft. I ordered one of theirs, rather than cut mine down. I wanted to save the OEM shaft.

I received their driveshaft and had to R&R my front shaft/yoke and place it on their shaft. I test drove and checked it for vibration, which they recommend before having it balanced. I wasn't surprised that it needed balancing. The splined shaft will lock in one of two positions when being used, consequently, the balancing company has to balance it in both positions. Once balanced, it was good.

They hadn't sold too many Nissan Frontier units and their shifter linkage really didn't fit well. They had two models, so they sent me both. I made one work well.

I had mine for over 2 years before I sold the truck. I'll have to disagree with "Fire Up's" assessment of them working properly. The linkage is exposed right under the rear end and is going to get dirty. I'm sure the people who complained never cleaned or maintained the unit. I did my own research and found the same complaints, but those that cleaned theirs had no issues.

Before I left home on each trip, I always washed my Frontier. From just bending over at the wheel well on both sides, I would give the unit a spray with 409. I washed my truck and when done, I sprayed off the 409. Once the truck was dried off, I leaned over and hit the linkage with some WD40 from both wheel wells. It always shifted well.

I would rather have a vehicle that could be placed in neutral and towed, but if I had to do it again, I would buy anther Remco unit.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote