Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Frustrated with the choice of small pickups available to tow four wheels down, I called Remco to see what modifications were needed to tow a new Toyota Tacoma. They said all I needed was one of their driveshaft couplers. The device runs a little over $700, and according to Remco, will not void the new truck warranty. Has anybody installed one of these devices? Are they reliable? Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Frustrated with the choice of small pickups available to tow four wheels down, I called Remco to see what modifications were needed to tow a new Toyota Tacoma. They said all I needed was one of their driveshaft couplers. The device runs a little over $700, and according to Remco, will not void the new truck warranty. Has anybody installed one of these devices? Are they reliable? Thanks.

Craig

Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:

Craig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your best information source on towing would be to first look in an owners manual for that particular vehicle. Absent the availability of that, contact the dealer and they should be willing to provide that info. If you do end up having to go with the Remco driveshaft uncoupler, the majority of people who use them seem to satisfied. The $700.00 price sounds about right but then installation costs will be above that unless you do the job yourself. Remco should be able to refer you to an dealer in your area that installs their product. Last but not least, consideration will need to be given on an auxilliary braking system/towbar for the toad as a lot of states require such(brakes) depending on the weight of the toad.
Don't forget the RV Upgrades link on this site for parts you may need as their prices are pretty competitive, quality is good and shipping is usually prompt.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks JC2. I have the RoadMaster Sterling 6000 lb. tow bar and the BrakeMaster brake system on my current toad and I'm happy with it, so I would just transfer everything over or buy their 2nd Vehicle Kit if/when I get a new truck.

Craig

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What are the trade offs of the coupler vs other choices for towing small cars that are not Ok to tow as is?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrmrsbb:
What are the trade offs of the coupler vs other choices for towing small cars that are not Ok to tow as is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I understand your question to be what are other tow options besides the Remco driveshaft disconnect, we also looked at a small 17-18ft flatbed trailer with electric brakes to haul our 05 Hyundai Tucson SUV and 01 Ford Ranger AT. The cost would have been around $1800 for the trailer + about $100 for a brake controller mounted inside the MH. We decided against this route because:
1: The towed vehicle/trailer combo would have put us close to or over the towed vehicle weight rating of 5000 lbs. Our Cavalier only weighs around 2700 lbs.
2: I wasn't real crazy about trying to find a place to park the trailer once we arriced at our destination.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There are thousands of Remco drive shaft couplers in use and few complaints are ever heard. Not zero, but few. I would not be afraid to install one if you want to tow the Tacoma. The alternative is to get a stick shift Tacoma.

Per the Magnuson Act, Toyota cannot void the warranty simply because you use the Remco disconnect, but you should expect them to look very carefully at the circumstances if you do have transmission damage while one is installed. Toyota does not approve dinghy towing of their automatics and the chances of a Toyota dealer OKing any aftermarket towing product are slim and none.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I was in the same boat back in 2004. I was not impressed with the towable pickups, so when I bought my Tundra I had the driveshaft disconnect installed by the dealer. It has worked fine for over 3 years, about 40,000 driven miles and about 4000 towed miles. Had I waited until 2005, I would have bought the Tacoma. I would not hesitate to do it again.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #9

After 40,000 plus or minus towed miles with a 2004 Infinity QX56 we would not go back to the car trailer. Throughout US and Mexico it is easy to disconnect and easy to reconnect.

Obispo
2003 Newmar Essex
2004 Infinity QX56
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Do they work with front wheel drives? I will likely be towing a PT Cruiser - or perhaps a smaller front wheel drive car.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Submustang:
I was not impressed with the towable pickups, so when I bought my Tundra I had the driveshaft disconnect installed by the dealer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Submustang, when you say installed by the dealer, are you referring to your Toyota dealer, or an authorized Remco dealer?

Craig

Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrmrsbb:
Do they work with front wheel drives? I will likely be towing a PT Cruiser - or perhaps a smaller front wheel drive car. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Give Remco a call at 1-800-228-2481. They are very helpful and can tell you what you would need for a specific vehicles.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
The Toyota dealer subbed it out to a local RV service center, but by going through the dealer I avoided any warranty questions.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Remco has an axle lock for front-wheel drive vehicles. I helped my son-in-law install one on his Ford Windstar van. It works fine, but quite a job to install. If you are not comfortable working on cv joints, you would probably want an authorized shop to do the work.