Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Remco Driveshaft Disconnects

We just bought a 2011 4Runner that we might want to pull at some time. Currently our Toad is RTOAD, a 2006 Honda CRV. Should we decided to pull the 4Runner at some point, would like to know from others who have used the Remco disconnects, how well they work, how long they have used them and if anyone has put one on a 4Runner. I read through a number of other threads saying that it can be done, but I'm looking for some input on how high the quality is and how well they have worked.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #2

I had one installed on a 89 4runner and had no problems at all. But I also had locking hubs on the front axle also. I don't think a 2011 Yota has these hubs. I'm assuming it is 4x4? I liked the driveshaft disconnect very much. I also have it for sale, PM me if interested.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might do a search here. Remco sold off that part of thier business last year, and no longer makes or sells them.
A reputable company who's name escapes me bought the product line and is producing and selling them.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
You might do a search here. Remco sold off that part of thier business last year, and no longer makes or sells them.
A reputable company who's name escapes me bought the product line and is producing and selling them.
Remco sold their drive line disconnect business to Superflow Technologies in Sept 2008. Apparently they kept the name, but the website is different: Remco DriveShaft Coupling

There is another company that resells the disconnects and has some interesting comments: Remco driveshaft disconnect | driveline coupler by Remco
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had one installed on our 2011 Tacoma Prerunner. Worked fine, but the truck didn't. Traded for a GMC terrain. We found a local drive shaft company that did the install and balanced the shaft for 1K. Took about 4 hours.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed one on my 96 and a friends 2000 and they are still going strong. 4Runners are heavy so I'd want to look into a braking system also. Back to the Remco no problems once in a great while I adjust it and lube it. And that's it...Send me a PM if you need any more info.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #7

I've had one on the road for 11 years not one problem.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone who commented.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

I have used the Remco drive shaft disconnect system since 2000. I purchased my unit from Remco while attending an FMCA RV rally in Oklahoma City. The unit I purchased was for a 2001 GMC Jimmy 2WD. I made the installation including mounting the shifter assembly and the PTO push pull cable into the floorboards.

I purchased a 2008 GMC Envoy in March 2011 and tried to transfer the original system to this vehicle. I was able to modify the driveshaft and reuse the bearing assembly, but unfortunately I had to purchase a different shifter that actually mountsrear the rear end differential assembly since the rear end differentials are different. I contacted Remco (remcotowing.com) at 1-800-228-2481 (Omaha, NE) to obtain the new shifter.

As to the performance, I love this set-up and it has worked flawlessly and would highly recommend this system for anyone desiring to use a driveshaft disconnect system.

Good Luck,

Yukon Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Remco sold their drive line disconnect business to Superflow Technologies in Sept 2008. Apparently they kept the name, but the website is different: Remco DriveShaft Coupling

There is another company that resells the disconnects and has some interesting comments: Remco driveshaft disconnect | driveline coupler by Remco
Just went to that 2nd website and found an extremely foul mouth notice on it. I think there's something bad going on there.

Now what is interesting is that I drove to Yuma ,AZ in 2005 and bought a car there specifically so that SouthWest Drivelines could install the towing and Braking system on the toad I bought . They did an excellent job and at no time did I ever see nor hear anybody there act like the posting on that website showed today.

Does anybody know any more about what is going on at SouthWest Drivelines?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We have one installed on a 2008 4 Runner. No problems to date. We liked our 4Runner and did not want to trade it in. so a Remco worked out to be the best solution.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I looked at the SouthWest Driveline's website and didn't find it 'extremely foulmouth' but did interpret it as expressing their frustration at idiot callers blaming them for things beyond their control.

I've seen this often; airline gate agents being blamed for weather delays, cashiers yelled at because an item is out of stock, people being accused of all sorts of things not in their control or responsibility because someone is disappointed or inconvenienced.

Perhaps if we listened to each other a little more we'd be happier and more relaxed.

Not ever having done business with SW, I don't think their website gives a good first impression or make me jump to be a customer, but I do empathize with the frustration.

I spent over 30 years as an educator and dealt with unreasonable expectations and accusations many times!
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I looked at the SouthWest Driveline's website and didn't find it 'extremely foulmouth' but did interpret it as expressing their frustration at idiot callers blaming them for things beyond their control.
Really? That is the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen on a website. I would never do business there.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I received an email earlier this month from the general mgr. and they are beyond frustration with the parts situation...hence the web page messages.
Some people don't get it. If you're on a list and they say nothing's going to happen til after March 1st, why keep bugging them?
I am patiently waiting for my kit so I can drive over there and have it installed.