Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #1

1. It appears as though there is no place under the hood of my '99 Caravan to install the Remco lube pump. Anyone have any suggestions?
2. Do I need to pull a fuse on the Caravan to prevent the odometer from running? If so which one.
3. Will the Caravan battery run down while being towed? If so, can I run 12V from the MH direct to the Caravan battery?

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #2

1. It appears as though there is no place under the hood of my '99 Caravan to install the Remco lube pump. Anyone have any suggestions?
2. Do I need to pull a fuse on the Caravan to prevent the odometer from running? If so which one.
3. Will the Caravan battery run down while being towed? If so, can I run 12V from the MH direct to the Caravan battery?

Savannah, GA
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #3

might be a blessing in disguise! When using a Remco pump, I have heard "it's not IF your transmisson burns up, but WHEN"!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When using a Remco pump, I have heard "it's not IF your transmisson burns up, but WHEN"!!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you hear that? Remco has been making transmission lube pumps for many a year and thousands of RVers tow cars equipped with Remco lube pumps. I've been frequenting RV web sites and groups for over 10 years now and don't think I've ever hear of a tranny problem resulting from use of a lube pump.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will the Caravan battery run down while being towed? If so, can I run 12V from the MH direct to the Caravan battery? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Get a Toad Charge unit if you want to keep the battery topped up while towing. It's easy to install and provides a regulated 5A charge.
Toad Charge at RVUpgrades.com
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

I can't speak for the '99 Caravans, but I just put the Remco pump in my 2006 Caravan (with the big' V6 engine) and I do know what you mean about space-availability. I mounted mine on the back side (ie, towards the engine) of the radiator-mount assembly and towards the top of the mount. Not much room left over, but it did fit.

I read somewhere that the only fuse you need to pull is the HAZARD one. Pulling that fuse cut off the digital display and also stopped the electronic odometer from racking-up the miles (both of those, again, are on mine. YMMV). I also replaced the fuse with a switch (and the fuse) so I can easily flip it without lifting the hood each time. Obviously, you do have to turn the key to the first detent and put the tranny in N before pulling. And, knock on wood, so far it's all worked just fine.

All that said, however, I usually remove the van-key each nite after running it a few minutes to ensure the lube is circulated, but the other nite it was raining and I didn't do it. That next day evening, the van wouldn't start after having been "on" for 2 days and a nite. Not sure yet why it did that, but I suspect there's more things running when the key is in the first position than just the dash-display. I'm considering either putting in that Toad-Charger too, or maybe a big knife switch on the battery to cut ALL power.

I've heard that comment before about the pumps failing, is there any valid idea of how many? Sure is alot of 'em out there, and a few failures (like with anything) are expected, but it would be interesting to know a realistic number.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, every little bit helps.
As a test I removed the hazard fuse and the dash lights did go out.

Savannah, GA
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

New Remco Pump kit

In May of this year I installed a new Remco pump kit on my 2006 Dodge Caravan. It has a pressure sensor that operates a red light and a beeper on the dash of the motor home. If the new punp fails the driver is going to know. This does assume the the drver can see or hear.
I to have had the problem of the dead battery after towing for several days. We may go to a big knife switch. I just sent a email to Remco asking for their take on fuses to pull on the 2006 caravan. No answer yet. I will post their answer if it comes.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave,

I have a Remco on my 2008 Town and Country and have problems with the dash sensor 'chirping' after pulling for several hours in hot weather (I have posted this problem and discussed with Remco with no good solution).

Had problem with dead battery because ignition is ON but not running and I left the radio and fan on. After that, started to carry a portable battery pack to jump start.

I think the chirping is the fluid overheating but Remco insisted it was a voltage problem.

Let me know if you ever experience the same problem with your Caravan.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #10

RV There,
I doubt that the chirping is related to oil temp as you are pumping the transmission oil throught the oil cooler on you car. Also I know of no car that has a transmission over temp. sensor. I have still not heard back from the email to Remco.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
well I know i'm quite late with this info, but on my 99 caravan I mounted the pump in the left front fender in front of the wheel well. it's protected from the weather & out of the way. It worked well for 6+ years.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you think it is crowded under a minivan you should try a PT. My pump is mounted to the rear of the air filter housiong. I have heard those stories of a Remco causing damage to a transmission and it is usually "my 3rd wife's BIL" or something like that. I get a little chirping at times when I start out and the car trans fluid is cold. Apparently the cold fluid doesn't flow a good as warm fluid. Low fluid can also cause an occasional chirp. We have completed 7 years on the PT with no problem with the Remco pump.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I presently don't need a pump with my Saturn. On 2 previous Buick LaSabres I towed with a Remco pump for years and had no transmission problems. I found that before I purchased a tow vehicle a telephone call to Remco would let me know if it was tow-able with their pump.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #14

REMCO DEAD BATTERY

I too have had the dead battery problem on my Caravan. I ran a 12 volt feed to the Caravan battery from the 12 volt pin on the TOW connecttor. I am talking about the factory installed connector not the Remco connector. The 12 volt on the tow connector is only hot when the ignition is turned on. This seems to help on the dead battery problem. The rest of the battery solution is to turn the ignition key off on the caravan when you stop for the night.
I have had no Remco related problems since installing the unit after towing the Caravan about 20,000 miles other than the dead battery.