Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

I am looking at setting up my 2004 Wrangler for towing with the following equipment:

-Remco class IV tow bar with 6,000 lb safety cables (claim is the tow bar is made by Blue Ox, identical to the Aventa LX except it is red and has a limited lifetime warranty)
-a Blue Ox base plate
-the BX88229 Aventa LX Accessory Kit which includes the BX8869 bulb and socket wiring kit, the BX8862 6-wire coiled electrical cable, the BX88101 3-lock kit and the BX8875 tow bar cover -SMI Stay In Play Duo braking system.

I have been reading a lot of information on different posts about the Aventa LX towbar and the rest of the equipment I'm looking at. I haven't seen a lot of information on Remco towbars.

Does anyone know any positives or negatives about the Remco product? I know the claim is that the Remco bar is identical to the Aventa LX (except it is red and less of a warranty? Not sure why.). It is also said that the bar is made by Blue Ox just sold under a different name?

Also, being new to towing, wanted to make sure I have my bases covered with the above equipment. Any other equipment needs or Jeep modifications?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!!

goldcountryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 AM   #2

Not sure what price you are looking at for the Remco Tow Bar(I found it online for $489) but th Aventa LX is listed right now by PPL for $499 (I got it a couple of weeks ago for $489). The place I found stated that they would upgrade the Remco to the 10,000# safety cables for more $$ so that might be the difference in price. Do you really want a RED tow bar??? It does "look" like my Aventa LX tho.

As far as the rest of the stuff goes I can't help much because I went with the Brake Buddy Vantage for the braking system and with the Cool Tech lighting harness specifically designed for the 07-09 Wranglers.
Jemc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I don't know about the Remco, but I'll speak out for the Blue Ox & the reason I bought an Aventa LX. My neighbor has an American Eagle & tows a Caddy Escalade with a Blue Ox Product. After about 6 years of use, he was at a Rally where he visited the Blue Ox Booth/Tent. He asked if there were any parts on his town system that should be checked as wear items. The Blue Ox folks asked what site # he was on & called techs on the radio & told them to visit his rig. When he got back that night, there was a work report from Blue Ox stating what was done. (Lubed, replaced boots, & some other parts) At the bottom, it said "No Charge"

That was reason enough for me to go with Blue Ox.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
i just attended the FMCA South East Area Rally in Brooksville, FL and "Yes" the Blue Ox technician named Ed was there and was effecting repairs on tow bars.

I did not happen to notice any other tow bar manufacturers out and about servicing their customers.

I like my Blue Ox equipment especially the removable tabs on the front of my car.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Called Blue Ox and they confirmed that the Remco bars come off their line right next to the Aventa, but just labeled under a different name.

I ended up going with the Aventa LX from pplmotorhomes.com (Thakns JemcO2). I have always liked their (Blue Ox) product, but was looking to save a little money. Ended up not being much different by finding it here. Looks like their prices went up this am by $30 on the towbar, but they gave it to me for $499. Unfortunately, the tabs on the '04 jeep baseplate are not removeable .

Still trying to figure out the details on the rest of the stuff, but it looks like I'm getting close on the best price.

Also, I see there is different cords available to go from toad to coach (6-wire, 7-wire, and 4-wire). I'm guessing the 6-wire is the one as the coach has a stock connection at the recevier? Any help there?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
The # of wires depends on what you're doing. 4 wire will give you running, brake, turn signal & ground. If you're gonna use a supplementary brake (We'll all STRONGLY urge you to), then you'll need more than 4 wires.

What kind if Jeep are ya towing?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #7

Its a '04 Wrangler, manual transmission. I will be installing a SMI Stay in Play braking system (wouldn't go with out a brake system). I guess I'll just have extra connectors with the 6 wire. That will allow me to run an LED in dash of the coach for monitoring the brake system activation rather than mount it on the tow bar as SMI says.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
yep....you're on the right track! Good Luck & Happy Trails to ya! Oh yeah...Keep on Jeepin'!!!!