Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1

removable braking systems

A word to the wise about RoadMaster break pro system. Be careful to pump your breaks multiple times and hit the test button multiple times each time you start out including each time you run through the gears to lubricate the transmission. It is not stated in the manual. I made the mistake of not knowing about this and it cost me over $1700 for new brakes rotors and tires on a recent trip. I did contact RoadMaster and although appoligies we're made they were sure to point out that it is not a warranty issue. I hope RoadMaster steps up and changes their manual so others will be spared my misfortune.
davdamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the damage you incurred.

The same is true for Brake Buddy but I think it is in their manual. I always hit the test button at least six times before pulling out.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure what your issue is, you installed a 'breaking system' (SIC) and it broke your braking system.

I just looked in the 9300 manual, it doesn't state explicitly to activate multiple times, but it does say a few times that system should not be used with engine running, not designed for non-power brakes, etc.
The 9700 manual does have a big box at the top of page 10 with a CAUTION to always deplete the vacuum before towing if you have to start the engine of the towed vehicle.
I have an older unit like yours, I guess I figured this out without the cautions, plus I always test multiple times to make sure everything is in position and it is working properly. All the manuals discuss the unit is designed to work with power brakes discharged, so I knew to depress pedal a few times, enough to bleed off vacuum before driving off.

I would imagine the brakes must have been near breaking before use of the braking system, a few hard applications of the brakes should not have done $1700 damage to your auto.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

I must have an older manual mine was originally purchased in 05. I think they must have had problems because they stopped making them. Switched to another name
Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
I made the mistake of not knowing about this and it cost me over $1700 for new brakes rotors and tires on a recent trip.
How do you ruin rotors? I forgot to pump the brakes with our Brake Buddy last year and the first stop was a screeching locked brakes one, but the brakes released as soon as we were stopped. I knew right away what I had done - I knew better. Strictly a brain fart on my part like the time I drove out of the campground with the awning open. I did flat spot the tires, but they were scheduled for replacement that week anyway so they were a little thin. No brake damage, and I would not expect any unless I had kept driving that way through several stops. Did the brakes not release?
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

The air piston in the brake master jammed and I felt it pulling but by the time I stopped the pads were on fire and rotors scorched
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
That's a whole different issue! Doesn't sound like bleeding vacuum from the auto's brake system would have anything to do with the Brake Pro's piston locking up.

Now testing it through a few cycles to be sure the pedal clamp and position on the floor, testing that the compressor comes on and shuts off properly might have caught the problem before moving down the road, we can't tell. Do you have the dashboard monitor in the RV that lights when brakes are applied in the towed? Mine would show brakes applied when they shouldn't be. Roadmaster might repair the unit's piston, but I don't see them libel for your towed's brake system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #8

Not really expecting them to be liable. Just would like them to recall the instructions to help others not experience what I have