Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Remove or keep rear sweep?

we are towing a Jeep Wrangler 2-door four down and have a 2016 Dutch star. I have read a couple of discussion threads about the rear sweep being detrimental to the tow vehicle as far as paint chips etc but some of those threads are older and I was wondering what the current consensus was. Do we keep the newmar sweep on the back? Do we remove it? Does it create a vortex that makes the debris on the toad worse? Do people just keep it but raise it up 6 to 8 inches?I don't know that we even have the space to raise it so that it is 6 - 8 inches up off the ground and can remove it if necessary.

Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We left ours on and got a "Protect-A-Tow" screen to go between coach and Jeep...

heard of the other solutions actually bouncing rocks off the toad protection and hitting the rear of the rv... not sure how that happens, but this works for us...

good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-03 001 - Copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	114265  

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I took mine off because of the vortex that you mentioned. I couldn't raise mine any higher. I have a Demco tow bar with a plastic shield that protects the front of the car and the car does stay cleaner. Before removing I would always find small gravel or road debris up by the wipers, and the car would stink of hot rubber for quite a while when we would get back home. Figure the coach was sucking the dust off the road and embedding it in my radiator is where the stink would come from. Since removing no more stink too. Randy
Randy & Kathy-n-Auggie
07 HR Navigator 43PBQ, 525hp Cummins ISX, 09 Flex Limited AWD
Randyman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We left ours on and got a "Protect-A-Tow" screen to go between coach and Jeep...

heard of the other solutions actually bouncing rocks off the toad protection and hitting the rear of the rv... not sure how that happens, but this works for us...

good luck !

We use the Protect-A-Tow shield along with an UltraGuard rubber flap positioned 4" above the ground at the rear of the MH. I believe this combination provides the very best protection for a toad!

I can't see how the "broom" type rear guards do any good. Looks to me like most any heavy rock or other debris would go right through it!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
It's a Jeep made to be used off road. I tow mine behind 2004 Country Coach Allure 40" with standard Country Coach flap in the rear no problems. But come on the Jeep is driven all over the desert and mountain terrain off road, I can't worry about a very bits of gravel that may be tossed up by the coach.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote