Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Rent-A-Toad?

My family and I were planning on taking a trip to Mount Rushmore and towing my VW Jetta behind our MH so that we could drive around the area. My mother in law wants to visit us the same weekend that we were planning on going. The problem is that I can't fit all of us into my little Jetta.

Is there a concept of renting a vehicle that I can tow behind the RV? If I can't tow a bigger vehicle we'll need to abandon our plans...or I could just stay home

--Sam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not aware of any rental vehicles set up as a toad.

However, UHaul rents tow dollies and that would work if you have a larger vehicle that can be dolly towed, or you could rent a vehicle that can be dolly towed.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Sam:

When we went to the Mt Rushmore area, we stayed at an RV park that had an arrangement with a car renting agency to bring the vehicle to the RV park, which alleviated the need to pull a toad. I believe the RV park was Holiday Hills, but I would think that more than just them have this same arrangement. Check with the local RV parks to be sure.

Lanny
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasiello View Post
My family and I were planning on taking a trip to Mount Rushmore and towing my VW Jetta behind our MH so that we could drive around the area. My mother in law wants to visit us the same weekend that we were planning on going. The problem is that I can't fit all of us into my little Jetta.

Is there a concept of renting a vehicle that I can tow behind the RV? If I can't tow a bigger vehicle we'll need to abandon our plans...or I could just stay home

--Sam
Sam
I have never seen a "Toad Rental" but that is no reason to abandon your plans...or stay home.
If/when we need a different while traveling we rent one in the area we visiting.
BTW, that's exactly what people who travel by bus, rail and/or air...(and RVers who don't tow), do.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Enterprise car rental will deliver vehicles to some out of the way places. If you are putting a rental car on a dolly or trailer I would read the small print very carefully as there may be restrictions on such use of the vehicle.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Great suggestions. Thank you. I was so busy thinking about getting a vehicle TO Mt Rushmore that I hadn't considered the option of having a vehicle brought to me there. Sometimes when you are trying to solve a problem you get into a mental rut and fail to think of other ideas. Another reason why this community is so helpful.

Thanks all! I'll make some phone calls to the campgrounds we were considering staying at and get something figured out.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You are fairly close to Rapid City. If you were towing your Jetta you could run into RC to pick up a larger rental vehicle for the day or weekend.

You make no mention of whether or not your MIL is staying with you in the MH or at a motel. You also make no mention of how she is getting to the MH. Is it possible she could rent a larger vehicle when she comes to visit you?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
You are fairly close to Rapid City. If you were towing your Jetta you could run into RC to pick up a larger rental vehicle for the day or weekend.

You make no mention of whether or not your MIL is staying with you in the MH or at a motel. You also make no mention of how she is getting to the MH. Is it possible she could rent a larger vehicle when she comes to visit you?
Good point on towing the Jetta and using that to pick up a larger rental vehicle. I hadn't considered that option either although towing my car just to get another seems a bit much unless there really are no car rental places nearby.

My MIL will be staying with us in the MH. She will be coming to our home in Colorado, then we will all be driving up in the MH together. My Jetta isn't big enough to drive us all around after we get to South Dakota though, hence the need for a larger vehicle while there.

--Sam
Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - no point in taking the Jetta with you to pick up the rental. I read your OP as she would be joining you at the campground. Wrong on my part.

The last option as I am now reading this as a weekend excursion would be to pick up the rental vehicle as you near the campground. Hopefully you will be passing through a town that has the appropriate vehicle to rent.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:

The last option as I am now reading this as a weekend excursion would be to pick up the rental vehicle as you near the campground. Hopefully you will be passing through a town that has the appropriate vehicle to rent.

What a great idea, I had never thought of that, or ever seen it mentioned. I had only thought of having a vehicle delivered to a campground. At 32 1/2', I probably should have a toad for our longer (anticipated) excursions, but I really don't want to tow a vehicle. Duh
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We rented a vehicle from one of the Enterprise locations in Rapid City a couple of years ago while I was having some work done to our toad. They will pick you up to get the car and take you back once you return it.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Yup - no point in taking the Jetta with you to pick up the rental. I read your OP as she would be joining you at the campground. Wrong on my part.

That's exactly what we are going to do. There are a couple of places nearby that rent cars. We are really looking forward to going somewhere new and checking another state off of our list!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasiello View Post
That's exactly what we are going to do. There are a couple of places nearby that rent cars. We are really looking forward to going somewhere new and checking another state off of our list!
I would make sure to make pre-arrangements re: the car rental before you leave on your trip. When we began our motor home trips, we thought we would rely on renting cars at our destination rather than towing a car all the way to the destination.

We now pull our toad (which can comfortably seat 8) everywhere we go.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm really curious about how you make out.

Be sure to post next week about your adventure.

By the way, the cafeteria at Mt Rushmore has the worlds best beef stew and next door is the best ice cream cones.

Try to see the night show. A thunder storm came through the night we were there and the lightning really lit up the faces.

Tags
toad