Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
road paint

heading out of Devils Lake SP in Wisconsin we got "some" road paint on the MH and toad. have contacted the Sauk County HI way Dept. and they are looking into it. doesn't sound to promising that they will cover any costs to get it removed. my insurance says they should. we are still on our trip so I have no way to get it off, any suggestions as I think I will be the one doing the work. in the past I don't worry about it but this is a little excessive to me. its also on the hood, windows (I have removed) and passenger side. I have got some off but the heavy area concerns me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6742.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	46221  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clay bar is used to remove overspray. It will probably work on this.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
Good luck

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
heading out of Devils Lake SP in Wisconsin we got "some" road paint on the MH and toad. have contacted the Sauk County HI way Dept. and they are looking into it. doesn't sound to promising that they will cover any costs to get it removed. my insurance says they should. we are still on our trip so I have no way to get it off, any suggestions as I think I will be the one doing the work. in the past I don't worry about it but this is a little excessive to me. its also on the hood, windows (I have removed) and passenger side. I have got some off but the heavy area concerns me.
I have never seen anything like that or even heard of road paint. Hope it comes off.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What the heck did the road department do drop a barrel of paint off of a truck?? I can't understand how this could have happened any other way. It surely coundn't have been from just painting road stripes. Holy COW!
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try WD 40 and or Brake kleen the wd40 can set awhile but the brake kleen needs to be wiped right off .
Old 09-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is nothing more tenacious than road paint. The sooner it is removed, the better.

Any shop willing to attempt to remove it (rather than sand down the affected areas and repaint) is going to use clay. While reading the instructions (for using clay) it may seem like a "no brainer", for this severe a case, an amateur can end up causing unnecessary damage.

I suggest you try to locate a high volume, high reputation detail shop and be forewarned, removal is not a forgone conclusion. That stuff can eat right into the clear coat.

This should be covered under the comprehensive portion of your motorhome and toad policies (you will have to make a claim for each). Good luck getting the county to respond in a timely fashion. I'd suggest you let your company take care of this and they'll go after the state, county or private contractor, as is appropriate. Be aware, liability claims against any government agency are treated differently than those against a private party. They frequently have very short limitations on how long past the event you can notify them of a claim. Just another reason to let your insurance company handle this. Another might be any contest over liability. Was the area marked by cones, signs or individuals? Was traffic being routed around the fresh paint (that stuff dries pretty quickly, it had to have been laid down almost immediately before you ran over it).

All that said, isn't Devil's Lake one of the most beautiful state parks you've ever seen?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

We had a similar experience going through Canada. Between the road paint and the tar the motorhome looked like Zebra. I called Winnebago to see how to remove it without destroying the paint. They told me it was standard automotive laquer with a clear coat. The best thing to use was mineral spirits on a soft cotton cloth. Then wipe it a second time with a clean soft cotton cloth.

I spent 2 days cleaning and wiping down the motorhome. A gallon of mineral spirits later and it shines like it did when it was delivered to the dealership.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clay Bar, you can get it at any Auto Parts store, it will come off with a little work.

Did you see the Highway Department or County painting that day and time? If so, they should be responsible and pay for it at any body shop to remove. If it was someone else who spilled paint on the road you will be out of luck. Good Luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for all the replies. the paint is so thick that nothing is working. I called the insurance agent and will just bite the bullet and get it taken of. it is in the engine compartment also. by the time I get it off it will take several hours- days and who knows how much damage I could do-LOL.
the worst thing is we left the park at 7:30 am and the striped the day before- they must get paid by the gallon. it is taking several days for anyone to get back to me form Sauk County and the next person I was told to call is out until next week. I want it done by next week.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm live in Sauk County, right next to Devils Lake, but unfortunately I can't help you. It does look like you got into a mess, judging by your picture it looks like your motorhome right side rear duals were running on the white fog line along the side of the road. Usually I see warning signs and/or safety cones when they paint the roads so someone doing the painting may have been negligent in putting out the warnings. I'm afraid leaving the paint on while you continued your vacation trip probably didn't make the removal job any easier. I'd go to a professional shop and let the insurance take care of it. If it was just a few specks of paint, I would try some of the suggestions already stated, but that looks like a job for the professionals to me, and don't let the insurance company blow you off! Good Luck!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve - I am going to let the Ford dealer handle the clean up job on the Escape- I just need a return call from the contact in Sauk County (they gave me another person who handles claims)- 2 messages in 2 days so I can put a claim in on the MH.
it is really frustrating that she won't return a call. I guess the next step is to go up the chain. I have talked with 3 people so far and they have all returned a call with info on who to contact.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the rig is well waxed... On a small area where it won't matter try a bit of nail polish remover on a clean cloth.

IT WILL TAKE THE WAX OFF.. (it may also take the paint off depending on what it is painted with, I'm talking the body paint, not the road paint, it will take the road paint off)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you turned this into your insurance company, they will take care of subrogation on your behalf. Once they recover from the county if they are responsible, you will recover your deductible from your insurance company. Good luck!

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint