Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
mre

Roadmaster 6K Towing Systems

I'm looking at the Roadmaster Towing system to install behind an F-53 Ford chassis. Roadmaster has three 6k systems: Sterling, Falcon, and Stowmaster. From what I read on their website, they all appear to be the same, the only significant difference is price. Since I am new to this, what is the major differences between the three and why would I pick one over another?

thanks
ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #2

sterling and falcon are similar but stowmaster is far far away. i can't say for sure all the differences between sterling and falcon, i would suggest you go to camping world to take a close look. stay away from stowmaster, which is a pain to hook up every time.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sterling is aluminum and lightweight, that's what we have.
The Falcon is a steel unit but basically the same
Both are motorhome mounted and can be left on in place as they fold.
The Stowmaster mounts to the towed and, while cheaper, it is ugly as most people leave it on the front of the towed when not in use.

We have the Sterling and BrakeMaster 9160 brake unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

here you go... thanks mr_d for the clarification... i used a stowmaster and replaced it with a falcon all terrain. the difference in easiness to hook up is sky vs earth, besides the ugliness of carrying it in front of toad
Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

As mentioned the Sterling and Falcon are similar. The Sterling however has built in channels to run the safety cables and wiring harness to the toad. The channels make hooking up and unhooking much easier. Everything is contained so it's just a matter of connecting or disconnecting the wiring harness and cables from the toad and storing the bar against the rear of the motorhome. It's several pounds lighter than the Falcon since it's made of aluminum.

We used a Sterling (predecessor to the Sterling All Terrain) for over 100,000 miles with no problems. Unfortunately it was destroyed last year when the Jeep we were towing was rear ended. We replaced it with a Sterling All Terrain and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As mentioned the Sterling and Falcon are similar. The Sterling however has built in channels to run the safety cables and wiring harness to the toad. The channels make hooking up and unhooking much easier. Everything is contained so it's just a matter of connecting or disconnecting the wiring harness and cables from the toad and storing the bar against the rear of the motorhome.
falcon all terrain also has the channels where safety cables slide in. i agree mr_d's statement, they are the same except the materials being different.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
falcon all terrain also has the channels where safety cables slide in. i agree mr_d's statement, they are the same except the materials being different.
I guess I should have looked a little closer in the narrative describing the Falcon towbar. One more thing I did notice was that the Sterling comes with a wiring harness and safety cables, while they are extra on the Falcon.

Sterling:
Includes safety cables and power cord
• 6- to 7-wire power cord with one 6-wire plug (attached), one 7-wire plug and the 6-wire electrical socket
• EZ Hook™ safety cables — for quick connect and disconnect — “easy on, easy off!”

Falcon:
• Channel guides
The safety cables and power cord (not included) can both be routed through the built-in channel guides for protection against damage or dragging, and for a clean, uncluttered look. There’s no need to wrap the cables or the power cord around the tow bar every morning.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
mre

I appreciate the information and insight you guys are providing. We have owned 5th wheel for the last 12 years and are looking at motorhomes. I am trying to learn all the facets of ownership I can before pulling the trigger. I think next week when we get home (when we have better internet service), I will print of the specs and features for the Sterling and Falcon and go over it line by line.

Again, thanks.
ed

By the way, you don't have to stop writing.

Tags
tow, towing