Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Roadmaster 9100 to Air Force One switch

I currently have the Airforce One supplemental breaking system set up on my new to me 2017 DS4369. With the purchase I received the Black box that goes under the hood of my Jeep JK. Also have the cylinder that attaches underneath the dash to the brake peddle of the Jeep.

On my Jeep I currently have the air cylinder that was installed under the hood and the seat bracket and brake attachment cylinder that needs to be installed each time I set the jeep up to be towed.

My question is what do I need to do to install the Air Force One on the Jeep or should I keep the Roadmaster 9100 and remove the Air Force One form the MoHo.

I think I would rather keep the Air Force One and install that on the Jeep.

Thoughts anyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I would use the Air Force one system over the Roadmaster. I have two toads, one with Air Force one and one with Roadmaster. The MH is set up for both. Here is a link to the Air Force one installation on a Jeep. Hope this helps

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
Personally I would use the Air Force one system over the Roadmaster. I have two toads, one with Air Force one and one with Roadmaster. The MH is set up for both. Here is a link to the Air Force one installation on a Jeep. Hope this helps
Can I ask how you have the Moho set up for both systems? Do you have two air chucks on the back of the Moho one for Roadmaster and one for AF1? Will the Roadmaster work if the jeep is setup for Roadmaster and Moho is set up for AF1 or do I need to change the air delivery system on the Moho to accommodate the Roadmaster?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again,
yes I have two air chucks on the coach.
No the toads cannot be interchanged with the other air system.
my first toad was set up for the Roadmaster, primarily due the cost of an Air Force one system. I bought another used toad that already had the Air Force one installed. I bought the coach kit from Air Force and set the motorhome up. I kept the old Jeep and still tow it if we want to do serious off roading.
I think the Air Force one system does a better job of proportional braking. The biggest advantage other than that is that you don’t have to hook and unhook the cylinder from the brake pedal. That was not a big deal and can be done in and out in less than a minute. But, honestly we seem to use the AF1 toad more than we did the Roadmaster for quick store type runs primarily because we don’t have to mess with the brake cylinder. How’s that for lazy retired guy.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Roadmaster motor home setup is very easy. It is simply a “t” into the coach airline connected by 1/4” air hose to a chuck at the back of the rig. On the Roadmaster system you need to install a separate breakaway air canister and switch on the toad along with the 9100 air cylinder. On the AF1 system the breakaway is built into the system.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the Air Force 1 braking system. Ordered the brake away switch that was left on the previous owners truck, should be in shortly.

Now I am looking for the best way to connect the new Rubicon to the Roadmaster Sterling. I like how some are connected right to the steel bumper rather than a lower baseplate that is added. Not sure how to do that yet.

The new Jeep has a factory steel bumper so I would think it could be done. I think FireUp has his Jeep set up that way.

If not I am getting an install quote with a Roadmaster baseplate today from a place in Goodyear AZ. Rather find a place closer to Surprise AZ where I am.

Tags
air, roadmaster, switch