Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Gee, as a dealer, wonder what brand you sell for the most profit? In addition, how do you drive around with the "brake-in-a-box" installed? It sits on the driver's seat floor and would be hard to reach the pedals around it. Weren't you afraid the "extreme pressure to push on a dead pedal" wasn't going to damage the vehicle and cause a catastrophic accident -- with you as a passenger??

My Roadmaster "brake-in-a-box" works very well and I've put it in the passenger seat floor well and driven around to see how it is working and set the sensitivity I don't see why you condemn a very fine solution to auxiliary brakes without having to drill holes and make a permanent installation.
AS a dealer/owner I don't sell the system that makes the most profit. IF we did we'd be pushing the boxes. Those are what makes the most profit for both the manufacture & the dealer, cheapest to build and cheapest to install. As a dealer all you need is a salesman to push those, no installer needed. I want to sell the stuff that I believe in, personally use, and fully understand what the difference is between them & have the personnel to properly install. We only sell what we believe in, only after trying it out on are own stuff. As with any manufacture that walks thru our doors and tells us they have the latest greatest newest thing we always respond the same way "Great, can't wait to try it out, your leaving me one or getting it shipped here?" Just like in the case of the satellite's of the past, every 6 months we had a manufacture rep from one company or the other coming in and in a 10 year period between myself & my partners coach each had a minimum of 2 satellites on it. If the current brand "x" was better then brand "y" or "z" we knew what the difference was and why one was better then the other, because we had first hand experience.

Same goes for braking systems. Yes, we've installed just about every manufactured system current & dis-continued. Yes, I've personally sat in the "passengers" seat of the toad while being dragged around the block to visually watch how the system was working regardless of manufacture or type (box or permanent) Yes I think the permanent systems are better braking systems (not all, but most) I also think everything has it's place and just because one thing is better for one application it doesn't apply to every application. Case in point, a customer came in and wants a braking system since he's going up to Canada, been flat towing for many miles & years without and has 3 toads and uses them depending on destination. He really wanted a SMI stay-n-play or a M&G because that's what his friends recommended and he was willing to shell out for 3 kits plus labor. That just didn't make since to me to shell out almost 6k. To me it would make better use of the money to purchase a trailer and end up with something to sell when done with it. He didn't want a trailer, so after talking with him for quite some time and offering to take it back in on trade if it was as bad as he'd heard he finally decided to get a box. Now since then he has installed a SMI in the toad that's towed the most and likes to tell me every chance he gets that the box is ok but the other is "Cadillac style"

Everyone gets to make there own choices, I just think it's funny when people say because they have item "X" its the best when they really haven't even tried anything else. What's next, your 14 year old TV is working perfect and there's nothing better

InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

advice, brake, install, new member, tow, towing