Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #15

I did not think that Roadmaster Inc sold directly? I am aware of the company named Roadmaster and have read several complaints on this site, but it is probably not connected to the manufacturer. Last purchase I made I attempted to do business with the manufacturer, but was told to look for a vendor. Seems like elongating a hole 1/2 the diameter would present a likelihood of less than a solid mount. Back when I was learning engineering drawing, we devised an offset bolt to deal with misaligned holes! Did not help my grades.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #16
laj

i can go right to the factory in van. wa. and either have them install it or cash and carry. never been a problem

Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #17

Trust me, it was a Roadmaster Inc baseplate and it came from their Vancouver, WA location. I purchased through Etrailer and they had them ship it from their factory. This is commonly done - that way Etrailer doesn't have to keep all the inventory and incur the expense of shipping on baseplates that are not commonly sold. The box said Roadmaster Inc, the shipping receipt shows it shipped from their address, so unless the rogue 'Roadmaster' is shipping from the same address, it was a Roadmaster Inc baseplate.

It is apparent that the majority of people have had good luck with their baseplates, but it is also apparent that others have not. I just happened to be one of the have not's and people should be aware of this if they are doing their own install.

Thanks again everyone for your input. It was immensely helpful. Tom
Old 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschleis View Post
Trust me, it was a Roadmaster Inc baseplate and it came from their Vancouver, WA location. I purchased through Etrailer and they had them ship it from their factory. This is commonly done - that way Etrailer doesn't have to keep all the inventory and incur the expense of shipping on baseplates that are not commonly sold. The box said Roadmaster Inc, the shipping receipt shows it shipped from their address, so unless the rogue 'Roadmaster' is shipping from the same address, it was a Roadmaster Inc baseplate.

It is apparent that the majority of people have had good luck with their baseplates, but it is also apparent that others have not. I just happened to be one of the have not's and people should be aware of this if they are doing their own install.

Thanks again everyone for your input. It was immensely helpful. Tom
I think your warning is valid ... allow extra time for "stuff". In my case, I'm happy I was doing my own work. I'm not so sure an "installer" would have taken the extra time to ascertain the baseplate was incorrectly welded.

I also caution folks to keep in mind that all these accessories are low volume items. You should inspect every piece regardless of who does the install.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I used a Roadmaster baseplate on our 2008 Honda Accord and had not trouble getting it installed.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #20

I did get an email from Roadmaster stating that trimming of the fascia was to be expected and it is stated on all the baseplates for my Highlander. They did not address why even after trimming the fascia it would not fit flush on the bottom or why I had to ream out most of the holes on their baseplates to make them fit. I guess they really don't care and I for one would never use them again. Tom
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #21

This weekend, I had the opportunity to assist with the install of two Roadmaster baseplates for friends. One on a Ford Edge and another on a Volkswagen Beetle.

The one for the Edge was a piece of cake. Once the front bumper was removed, everything you needed access to was right out in front. The only issue we ran into is that the frame horn on the passenger side for some reason had a protruding tit sticking out that had to be sawzalled off. It wasn't shown in the pictures and not referenced by Roadmaster. I could not see that it ever served any sort of purpose. Other than that, the bar bolted right on.

The Volkswagen on the other hand, was a complete PITA. The instructions were good, but the pictures were bad. We pretty much tossed the instructions and had to just lay underneath and get a look at what needed to be done. The big problem, was there just wasn't enough room to get your hand between the nose of the car and the bumper support to thead this top bolt. At one point, we actually elected to just remove the entire nosepiece from the car. After looking on YouTube, I can see why Roadmaster didn't mention that. You pretty much have to remove the entire doghouse. We finally finagled the bolt into place and got the thing installed, but it took almost 4 hours (double what the Edge took). If I ever had to do a VW again, I'd let someone else install it and pay the money.

All the bolt holes lined up and we didn't need to modify anything on either kit.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am surprised by the response you got from Roadmaster. I have dealt with them directly and I had NO problems at all. Try calling Nancy, manager of customer service.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #23

I have a theory. I wonder if there are running changes made to vehicles after they are in production that may change Roadmasters engineereing drawings? I say this because the Edge we installed this weekend had an obvious tit on the edge of the frame rail that either has to be cut or ground off for the baseplate to fit. This wasn't mentioned in the instructions. I know Roadmaster asks on their website for certain model so they can build a baseplate, so that makes me wonder if something changes on the assembly line that would cause bolt holes to not line up on certain production vehicles?
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #24

I can understand having these types of problems with a vehicle that is a completely new design. However after offering these baseplates for over 10 years this problem is certainly uncommon.

I've installed a couple sets of Roadmaster baseplates and in both cases they went on easily and fit properly. Did you buy your vehicle new? If not is it possible there was front end damage that was repaired before you took possession? Has your vehicle been in an accident since you owned it? If it has it's possible all the damage wasn't repaired, or wasn't properly repaired by a body shop?

Our Jeep was rear ended several months ago. It's now at a second body shop because the first one missed a couple key items. If you're sure your vehicle hasn't been damaged I would continue to contact Roadmaster. It helps to take pictures of the ill fitting hardware and send them along with an e mail. Roadmaster should be able to identify any defects from stand alone pictures and the way it fits when installed.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #25

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments. To respond to the last comments, I purchased the vehicle new and there were no accidents. I did take measurement of the holes on the frame using several reference positions on the vehicle and both sides were consistent. Also, when measuring spacing of bolt holes on each side of the frame, they were also consistent. When doing the same to the baseplate (this baseplate is a single piece bar that spans both sides - not separate) the dimensions were all off. The worst was the left lower part of baseplate that goes to the lower frame. I had to enlarge the hole to twice the width. Hope there is enough metal left to keep it strong. If this was due to variances in vehicle manufacturing, then both sides would have been equal. Nothing was equal with this baseplate.

Don't see any point in pursuing with Roadmaster. Their last email was basically tough luck and they probably hope I disappear. Tom