Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster Brake

Just bought our present rig and notice a Roadmaster tag on the dash with a red light, which indicates toad brakes are on when lit. I notice when using the brake it sounds like an electric motor under the dash.

Is there a way to test to see if this is going to work? Perhaps a VOM on the trailer plug?

When we get back home in May, I'm going to get the wife's 2011 Equinox setup for our full time toad. Any suggestions getting all this going would be appreciated.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

You probably have the Roadmaster 9060 braking system. The sound you hear is most likely the onboard compressor. Look in one of the storage compartments for a black box about 1 cubic foot in size. It should contain the compressor and a 1 gallon air tank. At the back of the coach should be an air fitting and an electrical wire. The air fitting goes to a cylinder mounted in the towed vehicle. The wire goes to the cold side of the brake light switch. When the air cylinder is activated to depress the brake pedal it also turns on the brake lights. The power feeds through the wire to the light on the dash in the motorhome.

Here's a link to the Brakemaster 9060 owners manual on the Roadmaster website.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1991-12.pdf

If the system on your motorhome is complete you can order a second vehicle kit from places like E Trailer.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No air line in the back anywhere and no air compressor found. There is an extra black wire back there that is not part of the trailer wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140401_125144.png
Views:	69
Size:	696.8 KB
ID:	59686
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
That's the signal wire for the brake. When it was hooked up the light on the dash would light and let you know the brake is working on the toad.That wire goes to the light. The noise you are hearing should not have anything to do with that light as it gets it's power from the towed car. You have air brakes right? Then soneone took off the quick connect off the back for the air supply to the toad.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's a WH chassis and has no air brakes. When I do depress the Brake pedal, it sounds like an electrical pump running, the sound changes the more it is depressed.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

The extra wire is the one that hooks to the cold side of the brake light switch. There was another wire attached to the towed vehicle that plugs into the one you're showing.

Here's a picture of the 9060 compressor and air tank in our 2001 Adventurer. All the gauges, switches, and pilot light are additions. The normal setup is just a plain black box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP00796.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	59695  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the sound is part of the workhorse brake system, not to do with your toad breaking.. I have that growling,, also..only when the motor is OFF.. Brake boost maybe.. Have a roadmaster guy check out your unit when you can..
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
What you have is what I can see is what HIKERDOG posted. What you hear is the beake pedal activating the roadmaster compressor. So. you're almost set for towing with that system with a few car parts. There has to be a quick connect fitting for the air to the car in the rear of the coach. The compressor you have is electric.
I have a all air system that works with the air brakes but it's almost the same excluding the compressor.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appreciate the responses. The sound I hear (key off) is coming directly under the dash very close to the pedal. This would eliminate the possibility of a 1 cf box in that area and I also looked under the hood. Again no compressor found anywhere under the coach and no air lines within 6' of the rear end. I will keep looking though.

Not a big deal right now as I have to get back to Mich before I can do anything. I guess I should be more interested in getting the parts for the Equinox on my shopping list. I'm a DIY'er and will probably start shopping for used parts. Anyone do their own Equinox and can suggest good brand parts?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #10

The sound you're hearing is an electrically powered hydraulic pump for boosting your brakes.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

If you're hearing the noise with the ignition shut off I would agree with ChasA. I'm not sure what system Workhorse uses, but Ford uses a similar one called HydroMax. It's an electric pump that provides hydraulic pressure to the braking system when the engine is off.

Normally this system is only engaged if the engine is not running. If you hear the electric motor running when the engine is on you have other problems. Under normal running conditions electric power assist only runs when it senses low hydraulic brake pressure.

The RoadMaster braking system is normally wired to only operate when the ignition is in the on position. If you do have this system the previous owner or installer could have wired it to run with the ignition in any position. It's normally wired to only run with the ignition on so you don't run down the batteries, or have the compressor running when the coach is parked.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The noise is not present when the engine is running. So this is for the WH brake system. There is no air compressor running with engine running and brake depressed. I would assume this means there is no compressor, it's disabled or this in an electric system?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The noise is not present when the engine is running. So this is for the WH brake system. There is no air compressor running with engine running and brake depressed. I would assume this means there is no compressor, it's disabled or this in an electric system?