Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Roadmaster brakemaster 9100 series

I'm about to purchase a brakemaster tow unit for my dp and would like some advise if I should buy the brake away unit with this.I have read alot about the brakemaster and it sounds like it's a great unit to put into a dp with air brakes,I'm just not sure if it's worth $260 to get the break away,any thoughts would be apprecitated.This will be installed on a 2003 windsor pulling a 2007 ford edge.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
KIX

Yes, get the break away.
And the Brakemaster is and has been an excellent auxiliary brake system for us

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
RM Brakemaster

I have used this unit for over 10 years on 2 MH's for over 55000 miles and I think it is reliable and nearly trouble free. The only trouble I ever had is forgetting to hook it up. This week I am transferring it from my 2002 Monaco to my new 2013 Entegra. I know something about the Monaco type you are using and it is a great setup. The hardest thing is I had to get a diesel mechanic to hook it up to he correct port on the brake valve because I was afraid I'd mess up the air system. Be advised your Roadmaster chassis is easier to hookup than my new rig on a Spartan chassis. Spartan requires an additional air reservoir called a "ping" tank.

Install it. It's reliable and idiot proof.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

do you remember what valve on the compressor that was used and did you also have the break away installed on your monaco?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

We've used the 9060 model (for gas motorhomes) to tow our 04 Jeep Wrangler over 75,000 miles without a single problem. The only difference between the 9060 and the 9100 is that the 9060 has an onboard compressor while the 9100 uses coach produced air pressure.

I also installed the breakwaay system. Although we've never had to use it I'm glad it's there. I test is a couple times a year by just pulling the breakaway key and it's always worked well.

One note of caution, if you use some kind of tow shield in front of your towed vehicle be sure the cable is long enough that it stays connected on sharp turns. We used a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield when we went to Alaska. I had to drill a hole through it to allow enough slack in the cable for sharp turns. Luckily I found the problem in a parking lot on a test drive rather than on the road.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some states, WA is one, require a break away system. Since you must comply with the laws of every state you go into it's pretty much mandatory. No reciprocity on equipment requirements unlike drivers licenses.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We've used the 9060 model (for gas motorhomes) to tow our 04 Jeep Wrangler over 75,000 miles without a single problem. The only difference between the 9060 and the 9100 is that the 9060 has an onboard compressor while the 9100 uses coach produced air pressure.

I also installed the breakwaay system. Although we've never had to use it I'm glad it's there. I test is a couple times a year by just pulling the breakaway key and it's always worked well.

One note of caution, if you use some kind of tow shield in front of your towed vehicle be sure the cable is long enough that it stays connected on sharp turns. We used a Roadmaster Guardian rock shield when we went to Alaska. I had to drill a hole through it to allow enough slack in the cable for sharp turns. Luckily I found the problem in a parking lot on a test drive rather than on the road.
Where does the compressor mount, on the motor home or the towed vehicle? I am researching for a 2012/2013 Jeep Wrangler (have not purchased yet).
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where does the compressor mount, on the motor home or the towed vehicle? I am researching for a 2012/2013 Jeep Wrangler (have not purchased yet).
John.. My compressor in mounted in a back compartment of the MH, Just behind the axle. I like my brake system just fine.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

I mounted ours in a storage compartment just behind the entry door. It was most conveneint there due to the proximity to the batteries (under the entry stairs). We also added a pressure gauge and quick connect coupler (after speaking with Roadmaster) so the compressor could be used for inflatables.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've been running my Brakemaster without a breakaway for 6 years now. My preferred tow safety method is a pair of stout safety chains to the toad plus a third safety chain that will keep the receiver with the coach if it ever failed.

You will see all kinds of debates about whether a toad brake and breakaway are legally required and I don't want to get into that here except to say that a towed car does not fall under the same laws as a a trailer in any of the 50 states.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used the 9100 for nearly 25,000 miles and it is on the second MH with the Breakaway. I have never been in favor of leaving things to chance and going with out the breakaway falls into that catagory. As a retired semi driver and working with professional drivers that had the all right hookups and we would occasionally still have one of them drop their back box because of a connection mistake we occasionally would see exactly what happens once they disconnect without a breakaway connected. When they are needed they do seem to work!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You will see all kinds of debates about whether a toad brake and breakaway are legally required and I don't want to get into that here except to say that a towed car does not fall under the same laws as a a trailer in any of the 50 states.
But they haven't yet suspended the laws of physics. If a vehicle breaks away it can do serious damage to other vehicles and people.
I prefer to error on the side of safety.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

No argument that a runaway vehicle would indeed be a scary thing. It's just not a very likely thing. I suspect we could agree it would be a rare event, but likely we could debate forever just how rare or whether other potential mechanical failures are equally or even more likely.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No argument that a runaway vehicle would indeed be a scary thing. It's just not a very likely thing. I suspect we could agree it would be a rare event, but likely we could debate forever just how rare or whether other potential mechanical failures are equally or even more likely.
I am most happy to hear you are willing to take the chance that if your toad happens to breakaway it will do no harm! No doubt it will vear off to the right and into an unoccupied ditch rather than into oncoming traffic!