Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
Libero, I just finished installing my Brakemaster on my Jeep. (move from another car) The breakaway switch is noticable under the bumper and that concerns me (someone removing the pin) where did you get a new pin? I would like to have one on hand, just incase.
Than I have to remember where I put it.
I mounted the break away switch to the top of the radiator support using an existing hole in our 04 Wrangler. It extends through the grille. When not towing I loosen the bolt and turn the switch at a right angle then resecure the bolt. The switch is then hidden from view behind the grille.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hikerdogs, Good idea, I'll have to take a look at that. What existing hole are you talking about though?

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
Hikerdogs, Good idea, I'll have to take a look at that. What existing hole are you talking about though?
My error. It's not the radiator support but rather the sheet metal in front of the radiator that the support is bolted to. I just went out and looked at it. There are several holes in the top. I just picked one above the far left opening in the grille. Originally I used a long 3/8" bolt so the switch would be low enough to stick through the grille. Later I made a standoff with a drilled and tapped hole on the top and bottom.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have a question about the Roadmaster Brakemaster.

The brakemaster pushes the brake pedal and that turns on the stop lights on the toad, so when wiring the toad to MH you would only wire signals and lights, no brake, is this correct ?
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #20

I wired the brake lights on the toad to come on either when you step on the brake pedal in the motorhome or when the air cylinder pushes on the brake pedal in the toad itself. I installed a set of diodes so there is no feedback between the systems.

We had an incident several years ago when the air cylinder came disconnected from the brake pedal in the Jeep. The way I noticed it was that the LED on the dash wasn't comming on when I stepped on the brake pedal in the motorhome. Even though the brakes weren't being applied in the Jeep the brake lights still came on because they were activated by the brake lights being illuminated on the motorhome
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also wired the toad brake light to come on with the MH's. With light brake pedal pressure the Brakemaster air cylinder may not be activated which would not activate the toads brake switch. My 3rd. brake light only comes on when the BM air cylinder pushes the brake pedal.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #22

I believe the proper way to wire the dash light is so that it comes on only when the cylindar activates the toad brake. This light activation should be independent of any lights turned on by the RV lighting system.

This way you know if there is latency and I could adjust the toad cylindar accordingly. I always like to have some delay so the toad would not be dragging the RV.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I believe the proper way to wire the dash light is so that it comes on only when the cylindar activates the toad brake. This light activation should be independent of any lights turned on by the RV lighting system.

This way you know if there is latency and I could adjust the toad cylindar accordingly. I always like to have some delay so the toad would not be dragging the RV.
I'm not sure I made it clear in my last post, but I also wired the lights so the dash light (LED) would only come on when the Brakemaster cylinder activates the toad brakes.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #24

Hikerdogs

You probably did and I missed it, I have put high intensity LED lights in my Smart Car windshield that tell me when any toad light is activated and I see that in my rear monitors. (Works in bright sunlight also)

Do not have that on my Master brake equipped toad, just had the one dash light that told me if cylindar activated the toad brakes. Don't use the masterbrake system now because I downsized from a DP to a B+ but the masterbrake system worked great,
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine also. Dash LED only comes on with air cylinder activation.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I
----------------

The reason I ask is with a combined system, I think if you had the MH signal on and you were breaking, would the toad brake over ride the signal ?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #27

Scooterbob

Don't understand combined system. Just have the light come on when the cylindar activates the brake. If other indications are given they would be independent of the masterbrake signal. There would be no override feature.

A second monitor light will tell you when the RV activated brake lights come on. These are independent circuits.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Don't understand combined system.

----------
A combined system is when the brake and signal work off the filament of the bulb