Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #29

scooterbob

OK

I don't see how that would be to any advantage. You would find it difficult to discern which 12v source was activating the light if they were combined in the same monitor bulb.

You want to know when the cylindar activates the toad brakes. Knowing when the RV lights come on is secondary and allows you to determine latency. Don't see how one would determine this if a signal on the dash light was configured so both sources would illuminate it.

If diodes were used in the toad, power would be taken from the Toad brake powered side for the dash light. If you wanted to know when the brake lights were activated from the RV circuit that would be picked off anywhere on the RV brakelight circuit.

I put seperate bulbs on my Malibu hence did not use diodes.

hope this helps

regards
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #30

This thread is timely. My husband and I were just in the process of figuring out how to swap over the Brakemaster system from my Mom's Liberty to our 08 Wrangler. Since it is the same motorhome, I assume all we need is the "2nd vehicle" kit correct? Originally we were going to try to dismantle everything from the Liberty (since we likely won't be towing it with the MH again) but a little worried we will mangle something .
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
I have a question about the Roadmaster Brakemaster.

The brakemaster pushes the brake pedal and that turns on the stop lights on the toad, so when wiring the toad to MH you would only wire signals and lights, no brake, is this correct ?
Hey ScooterBob, depends on your toad, mine doesn't require the ignition switch to be on, so the brake lights from the toad doesn't work when the brake pedal is depressed, without the key on.

So you would have to depress the brake pedal with the key off, and if the lights come on, you might be able to use them, then wire the turn signals, but probably won't work.

I two installed diode blocks to prevent feedback of voltage from the motorhome electrical system into the Toad, it's just good insurance.

Etrailer.com sells a complete wiring kit with the diodes for your toad.

Here's a link to the wiring kit you might need. I'm sorry, jumped the gun and didn't check the type of toad you had, anyhoo, here's the link to a wiring harness.

Jeep Liberty Vehicle Tow Bar Wiring - 2006 | etrailer.com

Just poke around for the type you might need
Hope this helps,
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Blonda

Yep, you need the "2nd vehicle kit" and maybe a seat mounting bracket. My 2nd vehicle kit came with full instructions if I recall. You will also need a wiring harness kit for the lights or magnetic/clip on lights.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote