Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Roadmaster Brakemaster Air

I'm considering buying this Roadmaster brake system for my toad. Has anyone had any experience with it good or bad?

2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had it for years, never any problems AS LONG as I remember to bleed the power brakes of pressure before starting out. I installed them myself, including the breakaway kit on two vehicles. Problem was finding a place for the air reservoir under the well filled hoods nowadays.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Why would you have to bleed ? When disconnected they should bleed .
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used the system for a few years now on my wife's 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid with no problems and I'm now in the process of moving it to my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Should be finished tomorrow.
I installed the reservoir on the brake cylinder that mounts in the car.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Why would you have to bleed ? When disconnected they should bleed .
I think he means you have to bleed the vacuum off the brakes in the towed car. The system is supposed to work against a "dead pedal" in the towed vehicle. That means no power assist. The vacuum has to be bled off by pumping the pedal a few times with the engine off. If it isn't the cylinder will push on the pedal so hard it will lock up the tires (if you don't have anti lock brakes) or cause them to continually drag.

It also can't be used on a towed vehicle with an "active" braking system like some of the Hummers. An active system uses either an electric pump to provide hydraulic pressure, or a pump to keep the vacuum supply up in the booster even when the vehicle isn't running.

We have the gas version of the Brakemaster on our Winnebago Adventurer and Jeep Wrangler. The only difference is that the gas system also has a compressor to provide air pressure, while the diesel version uses the coach air system.

We've used ours over 7 years and 75,000 miles and never had a problem. We ordered a new motorhome a couple months ago and will install the same system in it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Brakemaster

This is the third RV and 4th Toad I have used the same Roadmaster Brakemaster. I have bought each toad a seat kit and a few other parts, but it still works flawlessly.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #7

I love the simplicity of it. We have only 7000 miles on it, but it works great in our Jeep Liberty.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #8

Used the brakemaster for several years. (still have it on one of my toads (Malibu Max) but no longer have Air Brakes from my current RV and I rigged that toad for ready brake usage also. Don't use that toad much anymore so it is kept as my backup or take it when I might need a 4 passenger vehicle. Normally tow my Smart Car now and use ready brake.)

No problems with brakemaster except when I was in Palm Springs one time and someone stole my break away pin, so I put a switch in the line so I could shut off the circuit and remove the pin when I was not towing. I was able to buy another pin but I towed with the break away circuit off until I got one.

There was never any danger of the brake coming on with the pin removed because the pedal cylinder is removed when driving the toad, however there would be a small current drain because the break away relay/solenoid was activated in this scenario.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #9

Just finished putting the Brakemaster in my toad. Not to hard, I bought the 2nd vehicle kit from etrailer.com and also the seat bracket so I didn't have to drill holes in the floor pan.

Hardest job I had was working the air line through the firewall, used the grommet along with the parking brake. I could have drilled a hole but opted to use one already there.
I picked up the air cylinder (Brakemaster 9000) from ebay are you ready, for 60.00 and it works perfectly!

I also purchased the rv kit from etrailer.com and installed it, piece of cake.
The wire to alert you to when the brakes are on on the toad requires careful placement to keep it away from moving or hot parts, I generally used the existing wire looms when I could.

The instructions that came with the kit from etrailer.com were really well written and I basically had no problem other than this stupid weather

I previously used a brake in the box, which was big bulky and heavy and a lot more pita to set up and use. Also the brake in the box was either on or off, either your brakes were full on or off, didn't like that. The 9000 applies the same pressure to the toad brakes that I am applying to the Motor home.

Anyhoo, here's a link to etrailer.com for any parts you might need.
etrailer.com - Products Brakemaster second vehicle kit
These folks have been super to deal with, really fast shipping and helpful if you need questions answered.
Hope this helps
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Libero, I just finished installing my Brakemaster on my Jeep. (move from another car) The breakaway switch is noticable under the bumper and that concerns me (someone removing the pin) where did you get a new pin? I would like to have one on hand, just incase.
Than I have to remember where I put it.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Libero, Found it at etrailer.com
Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
Libero, I just finished installing my Brakemaster on my Jeep. (move from another car) The breakaway switch is noticable under the bumper and that concerns me (someone removing the pin) where did you get a new pin? I would like to have one on hand, just incase.
Than I have to remember where I put it.
I bought two pins at an RV supply store in Indio or Palm Desert CA. It was just off I 10. Can't recall the name but they had all sorts of RV bits and pieces. Pumps, Blue OX Tow inserts and Pins (bought 2 of each as spares plus two break away pins as noted.) This was in 2008 so I don't know if the store is there now.

I have two pins now but they would be easy to manufacture out of wood or some other material using one as a template. I throw the switch I mounted under the hood that disables that feature now and pull the pin and keep it in my tow pin bag when I am not rigged for towing.

I suspect roadmaster, or one of its distributors, could advise you where to get extra pins. I suspect the person who took mine found a very easy place to get the pins which included thier 5 finger discount.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
Libero, Found it at etrailer.com
Thanks
Ok our messages crossed in cyberspace. Glad you found a source.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I also have the same system and have used it on two different MH's towing about 25,000 miles with no negative results.