Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

Roadmaster Even Brake

I have been using this device for five years now and have had it replaced three times. The current unit was installed at RoadMaster in October 2007 and has worked fine since that time. The toad is a 2001 CR-V. This vehicle has the relay added that prevents the operation of the EvenBrake from lighting the brake lights. Only the MH should do that. I also have a toad battery charge limiter that lets the MH charge the toad battery when driving down the road.
Lately, the EvenBrake has developed a bad habit that I can not seem to isolate. When you follow the startup procedure, it tells you to connect the ICX cord and then the 12volt power source. The unit will then pump up the air and when it is ready, the TEST lamp will alternate green/red. You can then perform the go/nogo test. In this case, when I follow that sequence, after I connect the 12volt power, the unit just sits there and does not pump up. I found out that if I removed the ICX cord from the transmitter module and then plugged it back in, the pump would start and then everything worked normally.
A conversation with RoadMaster reveals that there may be some electronic problem that gets out of sequence. Of course, they want it sent back and advised me that there would be a $300 charge just to look at it. Any parts are in addition to that. So I asked if this sequence really meant anything to the actual operation? And I was told NO. My experience has been that it works fine , even though I have to perform the connection sequence in a different manner. My intent is to just keep using it that way until it fails completely.
Has anyone experienced any similar situation?
Kent
KentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentM View Post
Has anyone experienced any similar situation?
Kent, Cut bait, stop the pain, look to SMI for a solution that will work.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

When it gets to the point that it will no longer pass the test , it goes to the trash...I will check SMI
Thanks, Kent
Old 08-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #4

When you do get fed up with that system that was promised to work, you can trade it in and upgrade to D-Brake. You can get a discount too =)
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

The "fed up" point came several weeks ago. I have already installed the SMI unit and it works fine so far.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my way to doing the same thing. I have a Ford Explorer with the electronic shift transmission and the neutral tow kit.

The compressor started acting up in the brake system and would cause the transmission to drop out of neutral tow.

This scared me so that I don't think I would even trust a new one.

SMI is on the way.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote