Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

RoadMaster EZ4 vs. EZ5 Baseplate Connects

Guys: I am getting a baseplate for my new Kia Soul manual transmission. I got a lightly used RoadMaster Falcon all-terrain tow bar for a very nice price locally. In speaking with the seller, he told me I should get the EZ5 baseplate so I can "skip the horizontal bar" that i would need to adapt/connect to the tow bar. I had ordered the EZ4 baseplate since it was $80 cheaper, but it does look like it would take an adapter or two to get to the tow bar.

Does this make sense? Is there any reason to get the horizontal bar that goes in front of the car instead of skipping it?

2007 Itasca Sunova 35J - Ford Chassis
Tucson, Arizona
Doc Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, but it's hard to tell in advance. The cross bar is a stiffener for the front end. I has a Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Grand Vitara) that needed it because the car front end needed help. Chevy even added an internal frame cross bar to keep it driving straight. Most newer cars are better built than that, but small cars still are susceptible because of their light frames (or unibody instead of a frame).

I've not heard of a problem with the Soul, but it's not something the average driver would ever encounter anyway. What does Roadmaster recommend? Do they even offer the EZ5 for that model?

The cross bar is both a cosmetic thing and a "knee knocker". It's one of the reasons I switched over to Blue Ox from my previous Falcon 5250

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response, i had not considered that it could help stiffen the car's unibody. Yes, eTrailer offers BOTH the EZ4 and the EZ5 for the Kia Soul. I would prefer to not have the extra part if I don't absolutely need it, but if it keeps the car from wandering around, no doubt I will go for it. I am trying to get my mind around the physics though, I guess in a turn or sharp turn it may help, but pulling straight down the highway it would not make a difference.... I think...????
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J - Ford Chassis
Tucson, Arizona
Doc Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote