Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadmaster Guardian Rock Shield

I want to buy protection when towing my 2013 Equinox. I have looked at all the various devices available and am seriously thinking of the Road Master one. When I towed our Honda Fit without protection on paved roads the hood and engine compartment had considerable road debris on them. Will the RM prevent a lot of that? The RM seems to be the cleanest to handle when putting it on and off while traveling and you can buy a device for storage on the MH when it is removed at a park. It is pricey but you get what you pay for. Comments from Road Master Guardian users would be appreciated.
Thanks. Moe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Take a look at this: Tow Car Shield

I wouldn't leave home without it!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post

I use the Blue Ox Guardian. Same idea as the RM. Looked at this one but was told it will scuff the paint finish. I assume you have not had that experience?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We used the Road Master Guardian on our 2008 Ford Escape when it was pulled behind our 2006 Fourwinds Hurricane. The Hurricane did not have a mud flap and while the grill and hood were protected, the roads to Alaska beat the snot out of everything below the grill!!

Now we tow a Ford Flex behind our current motorhome and do not use the shield as we have a full wide mud flap.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

i have a like new guardian. if you are near socal, you can contact me for that.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #6

We use the Guardian on our 2004 Jeep Wrangler. It does keep the front end clean, but it won't stop rocks thrown from trucks going in the opposite direction. As we got off the ferry going from Dawson to the Top of the World Highway there was a dump truck barreling at us from the opposite direction. Even though we could see the rocks coming we couldn't avoid them. One hit the windshield of the Jeep and put a nice star in it. For the remainder of that trip we had a piece of cardboard over the window to protect it. We now use a section of floor runner material over the windshield when traveling on bad or unpaved roads.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post

Yep, Us too. We've used these on 3 toads and have used it to Alaska and back in '06, '07, '09, '11, and '13 as well as DE to AZ every year. NOTHING better.

On Edit: No paint damage in over 100,000 miles. It has to be cleaned, but it does not damage paint
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I use the Blue Ox Guardian. Same idea as the RM. Looked at this one but was told it will scuff the paint finish. I assume you have not had that experience?
No, I have not in 7,000 miles on a brand new Honda CRV!