Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Roadmaster Invisibrake

Has anyone used this brake system. We are looking at it and am wondering if people like it.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people use the Invisibrake. Here are a few previous threads... https://www.google.com/search?q=road...earch=irv2.com
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At this pint in time, there is no way I can recommend this unit. I have one installed and have had poor experiences with it working properly. Even the service manager has told me to get a tried and true system rather than something new off the shelf.

My advice is to go with a system that has been out for a while and has a good track record.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

We have the Invisibrake (IB) in our 2010 Toyota Corolla and are pleased with it.
After the initial installation in the toad (which I did myself), there is really nothing extra to hook up for a trip (except for the break away cable). The system has worked without problems during the 3,000 miles we've towed so far.
Also, we've have had no problems with IB in daily driving of the Corolla.
Invisibrake details here.
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

We have the IB in our Equinox, works as advertised. What I wanted was a permanently installed system that I didn't have to mess with. If I had a complaint, it was not being able to apply toad brakes seperately to test system. Part of our hookup checklist is wife opens door and watches the pedal when we do our light checks.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
If I had a complaint, it was not being able to apply toad brakes seperately to test system. Part of our hookup checklist is wife opens door and watches the pedal when we do our light checks.
Do you have the IB motorhome monitor LED mounted on your MH dash? When it lights, the toad's brake pedal is being pulled. It's wired to the cold side of the toad's brake light switch.

I do agree though that there's nothing like an eyeball confirmation.
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #7

Yes we have the light and buzzer. That's not what I'm saying. I would like to apply the toad brake seperately to insure they work and how hard they apply, similar to doing a tug test with a trailer.

Don't get me wrung, this is just a minor annoyance compared to how great the ease of use the system is.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Yes we have the light and buzzer. That's not what I'm saying. I would like to apply the toad brake seperately to insure they work and how hard they apply, similar to doing a tug test with a trailer.

Don't get me wrung, this is just a minor annoyance compared to how great the ease of use the system is.
I just installed an Invisibrake system on my Jeep along with the monitor light and buzzer in the MH.
I would also like to apply the toad brakes separately.
How about wiring a momentary push switch to apply 12 volts to the MH brake lights independent of the regular brake light switch? This would activate the Invisibrake only.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
YC1

Big Tony, I did add a seperate button in my last toad system. I have not in the invisi system. I pull the break-away switch and check the brake pedal. If that works I just go inside and make sure the brake pedal from the rv gives me the correct red light. I do like the braking system. The system also charges the toad battery.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as I know there is only one towed brake system that gives purportional, progressive control and which can be applied independent of the motor home brakes by the motor home operator.

US GEAR Unified Brake Decelerator.

I had one, liked it... I do not know yet if I'll get one for my next towed. I do know if I do I will install it cause the dealer screwed it up.

I have now heard two people complain about the Ivisi brake (one up-thread) The problem with the 1st was an installation issue,

With all the brake systems, if they are not properly installed, they do not work properly.

And this is my complaint about the "Box in the driver's seat" systems like Brake Buddy, though they advertise "no installation required" (Meaning you do not bolt them in) fact is you install them every time you tow, and every time you install, that's a chance to mess it up.

There is more, but that is the comment that fits best here.

I am considering Invisi-brake and Ready brake for my next towed. No decision yet.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
For those who have a car that is compatible , the M&G brake system is great