Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Roadmaster InvisiBrake

Anyone using the Roadmaster InvisiBrake? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Just installed on a Sierra 2500 pulled by a 39' Horizon.
Actually stops the motorhome better now.
Got to be careful on the type of brake you have.
Ended up cutting the brake vacuum line to install a "T".
I personally did not install, but was involved.
Dale

Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale R View Post
Just installed on a Sierra 2500 pulled by a 39' Horizon. Actually stops the motorhome better now. Got to be careful on the type of brake you have. Ended up cutting the brake vacuum line to install a "T". I personally did not install, but was involved. Dale
Thanks! I am having one installed today so will see how it works.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Just installed ours prior to leaving CT last week. Toughest part was finding a good mounting position in the '05 Saturn, Vue.
The InvisiBrake worked fine for the entire trip (approx.. 1300 miles). It has eliminated problem I had with the Brake Buddy. No matter what setting I used on the Brake Buddy it caused problems with front brake calipers. Now the braking pressure can be fine tuned. Nothing to put in prior to or removed after trip. Nice.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Yes they mounted mine under the drivers seat so now it's in the way if someone is riding in the back seat. Where did they mount yours? Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the toad end of the umbilical cord is low and facing directly forward put some silicon GREASE in the socket. Not silicon sealer of course. The Brake is sensitive to water across the contacts and can cause the brake to hold on until it times out.

I do like how it works though.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If the toad end of the umbilical cord is low and facing directly forward put some silicon GREASE in the socket. Not silicon sealer of course. The Brake is sensitive to water across the contacts and can cause the brake to hold on until it times out. I do like how it works though.
Thank you! The socket is low on the car and when not connected to the motor home the socket is open to the weather, I would think that is not good??
Old 10-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

I too mounted mine under the drivers' seat. I put dielectric grease in the female connectors to keep out the moisture as best it can. Good thing because the trip from southern PA to SC was rain all the way. InvisiBrake worked as advertised.
On the Saturn, Vue there aren't a lot of choices for locating the control unit and cylinder. Removing the drivers' seat made placement much easier.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

An update on our installation, it has been in our Escape for 2 years and thousands of miles. Works as advertised.

But, we were on some ROUGH roads (almost 4 wheeling) in the hills this past few days. Still miles from anywhere except beautiful country, the check engine light came on. Stopped and checked engine for obvious issues but found none. Escape kept running OK, so headed for town and a dealer. Dealer hooked it to their laptop and found a vacuum issue (leak). Plugged the line at the "T." We took it home.

Next morning I found that the vacuum line to the unit under the seat had come off. Hooked it up again and now it's all good again.

So if you ever have something like that happen, look at the connection to the main unit!

Travel safely!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have enjoyed our InvisiBrake on our 2012 Ford Escape for more than a year now. No problems whatsoever, thoroughly flawless operating experience. Braking is exactly what you'd want it to be.

With ours, the main unit is mounted under the floor in the rear, in a compartment intended for storage of the rear headrests when the rear seats are folded down.

Great product! So much better than our previous BrakePro.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
We have enjoyed our InvisiBrake on our 2012 Ford Escape for more than a year now. No problems whatsoever, thoroughly flawless operating experience. Braking is exactly what you'd want it to be. With ours, the main unit is mounted under the floor in the rear, in a compartment intended for storage of the rear headrests when the rear seats are folded down. Great product! So much better than our previous BrakePro.
Thank you! I am going to have them move mine.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarPar2012 View Post
Thank you! The socket is low on the car and when not connected to the motor home the socket is open to the weather, I would think that is not good??
I believe the issue is a combination of voltage coming from the RV and water. Not likely an issue with just the socket itself getting wet. I am surprised it does not have a spring loaded cover. Most do. If yours does, no worries except when plugged in and driving in heavy rain. That took some effort to sort out.

As for the mounting location. We have a Ford Edge and I mounted it in the area next to the spare tire. I had to cut a bit of plastic out but it is totally out of sight.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I believe the issue is a combination of voltage coming from the RV and water. Not likely an issue with just the socket itself getting wet. I am surprised it does not have a spring loaded cover. Most do. If yours does, no worries except when plugged in and driving in heavy rain. That took some effort to sort out. As for the mounting location. We have a Ford Edge and I mounted it in the area next to the spare tire. I had to cut a bit of plastic out but it is totally out of sight.
Are you talking about the small single wire, if so, on mine the ends are just hanging no spring loaded cover.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarPar2012 View Post
Are you talking about the small single wire, if so, on mine the ends are just hanging no spring loaded cover.

I see, yours is the flat trailer type. Much less likely to be an issue when mated with the rv. I have the round type.