Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
Invisibrake DANGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That would be a poor fix for a poor design,. Their input circuitry is too sensitive to stray voltage. It should require a respectable amount of current versus a weak voltage to control their inputs. They may have already modified the circuitry and of course would never divulge that information unless the NTSB forced the issue. I suspect it would only take a couple of load resistors on the front end to make them safer.
Well there you have it Steve. I've been following this post since last summer. Myron, has the knowledge to go thru this system and analyze it i.e. electrical engineer vs. me, us laymen users of the product. I do know the issue for Invisibrake is compound and not related to just the receptacle. Steve, go back and read thru Myron's modifications. They are multiple. He's altered the system bypassing the "whatchamacallit" thus correcting RM/Invisibrake's inherent dangerous engineering. Maybe, just maybe, the NEW model of Invisibrake has been corrected per Myron's efforts and design. If not, the Invisibrake remains a very dangerous system. I feel fortunate the damage inflicted was just a flat wallet!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no doubt smarter folks having gone down the road before us is why we're here.

So noted and now carefully watched.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I was going to buy an invisibrake tomorrow for my new Jeep Wrangler as it is much heavier than my previous Ford Focus Toad. I wont be doing that now after reading all 100 or so post on this subject.

My question is can I use my Road MasterEven Brake system I had installed on my Ford and previous Newmar gas coach? I am now pulling the Jeep with a Beaver Monterey DP.

Thanks everyone for such a great tread on the Road Master Invisibrake.

I will say I have toured the Road Master factory in Vancouver and it is very impressive. Makes me wonder how they could allow this kind of issue with their product.

Thanks again
Steve
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
One of the simplest toad brake system and in my opinion the best is M&G, it is reasonable price and easy to install just hook up the air line to the road and tow.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Vehicle Compatibility
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
M&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
One of the simplest toad brake system and in my opinion the best is M&G, it is reasonable price and easy to install just hook up the air line to the road and tow.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Vehicle Compatibility
I will agree. When forced to change from the faulty RM product, Invisibrake, I contracted with a very long standing RV firm. Small, independent, with years of service in the industry. They install only, M&G or SMI Air Force One. M&G would not work with rig set up. They installed the Air Force One and it has performed flawlessly.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #132

InvisiBrake not installed

My thanks to all. Was going to install Invisibrake, but after reading the posts, changed to a Brakemaster instead. Had it installed last week and so far seems to work well.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
We had looked at the the Invisibrake as well as several similar systems. Glad we decided to stay with our Brake Buddy after following this thread.
We have had and used it 12 years now without a single problem with the unit itself. Had it checked out at a rally several years ago and it was in perfect operating condition. I have found that all the salt they use on the roads up here will mess up the break away switch. Generous applications of silicon electrical grease has helped.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Be wary of Brake Buddy!

BennieH
Glad you haven't had a problem with your Brake Buddy yet.

Ours crapped out at five years and ruined a near new set of Michelins. We were on dry pavement on a sunny warm day in Bakersfield CA.

That's what caused us to buy the faulty invisibrake that started this thread.

Good luck!
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #135

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm sorry Steve, I overlooked your question as to your present use of RM Evenbrake system. I don't know, many systems are not compatable gas to diesel. If using the coach air system will be the issue, which you now have access. The M&G or SMI Air Force One would be your best choice. FWIW I would canvass the Beaver owners forum and see what those guys and girls are using. My neighbor has a Beaver and tows a Ford Edge, I believe he uses Brake Buddy? Just don't get info or install from Camping World. Of course that's just my humble opinion.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #136
Lyn

I was just alerted to this thread on Invisibrake - now I'm a nervous wreck! We bought the Invisibrake new and had it installed by our RV dealer on our Fiat Abarth in June of 2013. We have used it for probably 15,000 + miles of towing without any problems.

We have just traded our Abarth in and have bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. Tomorrow we are off to the RV dealer to have the Invisibrake removed from the Fiat with the intention of having it installed on the Jeep this Fall. I will certainly talk with our dealer and Service Manager and see what info I can glean from them.

Before Invisibrake, we used Brake Buddy for 6 years - also without any issues. We just found it a nuisance moving it in and out of the driver's compartment every time we wanted to use the toad. BB was used in our Toyota Highlander and physically would not fit in the Fiat Abarth hence the switch to Invisibrake.

If I learn anything of interest from our RV dealer, I will pass it along for others. We have been dealing with the same RV dealer for 17 years and so far they have stood behind and/or remedied any problems we have had with RV's or towing systems.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 AM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not to be an alarmist but regardless of the information your RV dealer provides, maybe he or she has not experienced issues, the folks on this post have had or continue to monitor, alter, or have eliminated the RM Invisibrake system. If you've read all post you'll see at the beginning I was touting the system saying " I used the Invisibrake for 4 1/2 years and it's never given me a problem." Well two weeks later in the mountains it fried my brakes and rotors on our Ford Edge while NOT hooked to our bus. I also feel the system was responsible for further electrical damage by making "toast" out of the Fords main computer system. Thank our angels it was covered, just barely, by warranty or we would have chucked out another thousand dollar bill. Forewarned is forarmed.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #138
YC1

I am currently testing my unit on a very long trip. I removed the diodes from my 2012 Ford Edge and bought a set of lights that I mounted on my tow hitch. Actually I used a receiver that I had so the tow ball is still usable.

What this does is it prevents any voltage leakage across the diodes.

I also moved the socket on the car much higher to help eliminate any water intrusion.

While going through the system the socket on the RV was pulled for inspection as well as the pigtail. I did replace the car end of the pigtail because it was showing signs of rust etc.

Being from California originally leaving a pigtail hanging on the hitch of the rv was not an issue. In Florida it is constantly wet so I am now keeping it stored between uses.

We have traveled about 2000 miles so far with no issues. Since I am so concious of the issue I keep an eye on it. I do have a dash indicator light to show when they are on.

I cannot recommend enough using separate bulbs if possible. Place your socket on the toad as high as possible. Shoot the front and inside with WD 40 to help keep moisture out. Take your pigtail apart at least once a year. If there is any sign of rust or corrosion, replace the plug and cut the wires back 1/2 inch. Leaving stubs on the old plug makes installing the new plug easy.

REMOVE THE FUSE OR UNPLUG THE INVISIBRAKE WHEN NOT IN USE: Nothing like having it activate while in a rainstorm while driving it. It is really hard to power through the brakes and get it to the curb.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:28 AM   #139

Interesting, We have Invisibrake installed by Camping World on Ford Edge, behind Itaska Ellipse 40TD. Works well with no problems.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Unless they have modified the design, any water intrusion in the socket on the front of the toad, moisture on the diodes, moisture or dust and dirt with moisture on the umbilical cord, or the socket on the rv, CAN LEAD TO brakes locking up.

Here is what I believe happens. Running light voltage leaks across the contacts and then either holds the brakes on OR in extreme cases it can ACTUATE the brakes.

As an example: Driving in heavy rain the other day with the Invisibrake, it decided to self activate. Our headlights were on so voltage was present in the front socket. I know for a fact the socket was spotless because I had to chase issues recently and had every connector apart.

You can imagine how dangerous it was to have to put my foot to the floor to get enough power to get to the side of the road. We were in the middle lane and had to get to the side. Just got lucky.

If I had my tools the brake system would be rusting along I4 in Florida now. I crawled over the back seat and unplugged it.

Let me premise all of this with the fact that I am a Senior Certified Electronic Tech working on specialty vehicle systems now for 40 years.

After a few e-mails from the company and their last one suggesting I fill the front socket with silicon to seal out moisture I can assure you I will not be using this brake ever again. It has a treacherous sensitive input circuit that could be easily modified.

I am thinking a major recall and perhaps the NTSB should check out the danger of this thing.

Ok, there I said it. There have been too many folks with brakes and tires needing replacement.

We are looking at a 2014 CRV to possibly buy tomorrow and it has the invisibrake installed. How difficult would it be to uninstall, my husband is very handy with pretty much everything.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for all your posts and this thread.

On the go
On the go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake