Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #141

We had Roadmaster install the Invsibrake 5 years ago on a 04 CRV and have had no problem. Diodes are used for the lights and were installed in 04.

I have an electrical/electronic background and have read through the various posts. To me the possible electronics issues seem very credible. Why some have a problem with the unit and others don't is certainly not clear.

Until there are clear answers and resolution I would no longer recommend the unit.

Installation is not rocket science but involved. Working under the dash, lifting carpet to hide the wires and cables, etc.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #142

Freightliner Owners Club
I can only respond based on my experience. - First, it would be relatively easy to remove the unit. Time consuming, but it can be done.

I installed mine about a year ago and have only towed with it about 1,400 miles, through rain and dry conditions. I installed mine differently than most. I installed a separate set of lights on the "toad." Doing this I did not have to use any diodes. All my connections are "sealed" as continuous cable runs. The only connection points are to the lights, to the unit, which is inside the vehicle and to the back of the Motorhome.

Again, this is my experience - Like all products the longer they are on the market the more chance of subtle changes by the manufacturer.

I read this entire thread before I purchased and installed mine. I knew what the risks were going in. Six months or six years from now I might post that the system has failed me.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #143

So glad I happened upon this thread, thanks to everyone for all the posts and explaining the possible problems and dangers associated with the invisibrake . This is the best forum with so many knowledgeable people willing to help out a fellow RVer

Thanks again,
On the go
On the go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:25 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
NSA Ready Brake | HitchSource.com

You can bet my next brake will be the Ready Brake. No electronics to act up. Since I built a light kit for mine the diodes are not in place and it is less likely to act up. In any case I have it set up to show when the toad brakes are in use.

The invisibrake stays unplugged unless towing too. Anyone that is still using theirs I would highly recommend disabling it when not in use. Just pull the fuse.
If you are still listening, where is the fuse likely to be located? Thanks
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #145

My fuse in near the battery. If I was going to disconnect it when not towed I'd install a switch on the dash.

The box itself unplugs to uninstall. Removal of the wiring etc which may be under the carpet etc is more involved. You could just cut the ends including the cable however.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #146

We have used the Invisibrake for four years now. It was installed properly. Works great and no problems. I did call their tech for guidance on adjusting the toad brake cable and that went very well.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the go View Post
We are looking at a 2014 CRV to possibly buy tomorrow and it has the invisibrake installed. How difficult would it be to uninstall, my husband is very handy with pretty much everything.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for all your posts and this thread.

On the go
Its not that hard . I had mine removed from my 07 Focus and reinstalled on my 13 Flex! Ask the previous owner if they had problems. Its a great system when they work. 2 cars and 6 years and no problems with mine. And BTW I live near Vancouver aka the wet coast.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #148

Roadmaster Invisibrake problems

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 engine. I installed the Invisibreake myself. I wired a switch inline with the 20 amp fuse and a kight to let me know if system is powered up or not. switch is on the dash with the light next to it.
Hope this helps.
Terry Johnson
Note my Diodes are mounted behind the tail lights, same with connectors. Never hade a problem.
terryaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #149

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
Well this is great. I don't know how I missed this thread! For the past two days I've been busy installing the Invisibrake on our Jeep Wrangler. It's been a real pain, mostly trying to get the pulley and cable installed correctly behind the petals. But, it's basically installed at this point. All I have left to do is run the LED wire in the MH.

I hope I don't have any issues. I used a blue ox diode harness for the lights. The diodes are installed behind the tail lights, so are inside the body of the Jeep. I wired the 6 pin connector myself and was very careful about how I put it together. The connector also came with a tight sleeve and I taped it 6 ways to Sunday inside and outside. I used wire loom on just about every square inch of exposed wire. Now I'm concerned with how I spliced into the four wire light harness with the four wire Invisibrake. I did it right but I think I better beef up how waterproof that whole connection area is. I think I'll go back and figure out a way to waterproof ALL connections even more regardless of where they are. Hopefully Roadmaster improved the electronics in the Invisibrake!!

When you guys say to use grease in the 6 pin connector, do you mean to literally put grease where the pins are? I've never done that before.
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzani View Post
Well this is great. I don't know how I missed this thread! For the past two days I've been busy installing the Invisibrake on our Jeep Wrangler. It's been a real pain, mostly trying to get the pulley and cable installed correctly behind the petals. But, it's basically installed at this point. All I have left to do is run the LED wire in the MH.

I hope I don't have any issues. I used a blue ox diode harness for the lights. The diodes are installed behind the tail lights, so are inside the body of the Jeep. I wired the 6 pin connector myself and was very careful about how I put it together. The connector also came with a tight sleeve and I taped it 6 ways to Sunday inside and outside. I used wire loom on just about every square inch of exposed wire. Now I'm concerned with how I spliced into the four wire light harness with the four wire Invisibrake. I did it right but I think I better beef up how waterproof that whole connection area is. I think I'll go back and figure out a way to waterproof ALL connections even more regardless of where they are. Hopefully Roadmaster improved the electronics in the Invisibrake!!

When you guys say to use grease in the 6 pin connector, do you mean to literally put grease where the pins are? I've never done that before.
I think most use something like this
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Technicia...ctrical+grease
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #151

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
Okay, I see what you mean now. I'll pick some of that up. I'm also going to grab some silicone. Between the dielectric grease, silicone, and plastic bags taped off with duct tape and zip ties, I hope to make my system as waterproof as possible to limit any chance of a problem that originates from poor connections and water infiltration. The good news is I live in California so 90% of the time my coach and tow will be in the Western area of the US where it NEVER seems to rain (except today, which is strange!)

Then all I have to worry about is?? I'm not sure, I read through this thread at 1 AM last night and can't remember the other problem areas I should be concerned about. I'm not going to read through all of it again right now! Haha. But I will take the time to make sure it is calibrated properly so that won't be a source of problems either.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, I'm all ears! Looking at you YC1!!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #152

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From reading this thread I am almost scared to buy the Roadmaster Invisa Brake and get the SMI Stay in Play Duo Brake System.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #153

Invisibrake

I installed Invisibrake in my 2005 jeep Grand Cherokee, I took my two days because i am a little slow, 71 with really bad back. The hardest part of the install was the cable roller under the break pedal. Was working by myself and needed to push this pedal down to determine where to mount the roller. Use a cutoff 2x4 between seat and pedal.

The unit works just like the instructions showed. Love these breaks, works great. I pull my jeep behind a 36 foot Bounder. My jeep is fairly heavy.

Terry
terryaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #154

Tiffin Owners Club
I just wanted to give an update on my install and use of the Invisibrake.

It took me around 8 hours of working time to install the lights/diode harness and the Invisibrake system. I work a bit slow, being very careful and deliberate about how and where I installed everything. For the most part the install was straightforward and common sense. Installing the pulley cable and bracket was the most difficult because of the angle and needing to secure into steel with the self tapping screws while not being able to get leverage. Also, on a Jeep Wrangler, the brake indicator wire that you need to splice into is impossibly small and very difficult to get to and work on. The cuss words were flying on that part, that's for sure!

Anyway, got it installed and waterproofed all connections as much as possible. Went on an trip with about 12 hours of drive time and the system worked perfect the entire time. The Jeep kept it's charge and the brakes were never overheated. I really like the system. We even took the Jeep through a car wash with very high water pressure coming from all angles and still didn't get any issues so I think I'm safe at this point. Very happy with the product.

Tags
brake