Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #155

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzani View Post
I just wanted to give an update on my install and use of the Invisibrake.

It took me around 8 hours of working time to install the lights/diode harness and the Invisibrake system. I work a bit slow, being very careful and deliberate about how and where I installed everything. For the most part the install was straightforward and common sense. Installing the pulley cable and bracket was the most difficult because of the angle and needing to secure into steel with the self tapping screws while not being able to get leverage. Also, on a Jeep Wrangler, the brake indicator wire that you need to splice into is impossibly small and very difficult to get to and work on. The cuss words were flying on that part, that's for sure!

Anyway, got it installed and waterproofed all connections as much as possible. Went on an trip with about 12 hours of drive time and the system worked perfect the entire time. The Jeep kept it's charge and the brakes were never overheated. I really like the system. We even took the Jeep through a car wash with very high water pressure coming from all angles and still didn't get any issues so I think I'm safe at this point. Very happy with the product.
Good to hear! So far we've got about 2.5 years full time (18k miles - we don't get out much) and no issues for us.

Let's keep ours eyes on it - cause after all - we would do that anyway.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #156

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Just a thought. What about using a waterproof seal like is used by electricians for splicing under ground buried cables. This would be a sure fix for a problem such as your having.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #157

I just read the entire thread so here's my input. I had the Invisabrake installed in my then new 2013 Honda Fit. First time my wife went to the car wash she called and said she hears a buzzing noise and the brakes are locked. I unplugged the unit and the vacuum pump ( the buzzing ) stopped and the brakes were free. Back to the installer and they got the seal the diodes instructions from RM. Next car wash same problem. Back to the installer and they hose tested it and got it to lockup. Dried out the main plug and the break away switch. Sealed the backs of both with silicone and I haven't had any problem since. The Fit has been towed 40K + and driven 24K.
After reading this thread I'm worried about the diode voltage leak. I think I will install a switch two cut power to the unit while driving the car. I just had the front brakes rotors turned and new pads installed. So they lasted 65K miles. Good, bad? Average?
Driving included mountainous terrain, summer, winter, California to Maine and back. Extremely heavy rain, snow covered freeways and some GPS selected, really rough crappy roads. Can you hear me knocking on wood? Overall I can't complain about the system. Would I recommend it? I'd have to say " Maybe ". If I read this thread before buying it I'd say probably "No".
I do keep the cord plugs coated with dielectric grease. I need to replace the cord as it has a couple of nicks in the covering.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #158

Front wheel drive cars gobble up front brakes a lot quicker so 64000 miles is very good IMO. Since your shop has repaired their install errors its worked well? I really like mine and I've had it on 2 vehicles now. My only gripe was a dead battery after towing , even with lights on to charge the toad. A simple charge wire and fuses added from the coach plug to the toad fix this for a few bucks.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #159

I've only had the dead battery once after a long day that I forgot to turn on the running lights. I have a switch to shut down the power to the radio and clock. I'm going to look for a switch that will let me cut the power to the radio and clock in the tow position and cut power to the invisabrake in the drive position.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #160

Nothing wrong with that. I prefer to keep the toad fully charged. It also allows for charging while parked if needed. All it required was 6 feet of 12 gauge wire run from the car 6pin plug up to the + battery post with a 20@ fuse in line. No need to remember to set switches. BTW is the brake shut off switch just extra precaution? It seems the reseal has solved your issue.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #161
YC1

Not sealing the connections on the diodes and filling the plug with dielectric grease IS NOT an install error.

The input circuitry on these things is too sensitive to voltage input. If they would put some simple load resistors on the inputs it would probably solve the dangerous situation.

Instead of throwing away an expensive device I removed the diodes and set up my own lights. It is impossible for them to lock up now.

I wonder how many sets of brakes have been burned up? I almost ended up in an accident when ours locked up while driving.

Keeping it unplugged when not in use or a switch to power it off is a good idea.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #162

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is beginning to sound like a Norcold refrigerator. (Replaced with Samsung last year.)

3 years, 3 months, full time, always in and connected. No problems so far. I did have the rotors turned at 32k. Only time I know they were hot was driving the CRV down from Sundance, Utah. They didn't fade but I took a pull out and stopped. As soon as I rolled down the window, I knew it was a well timed stop. They began to chatter eventually. Honda dealer claims I did ok at 30+ and they usually can get two turns at em. After he said, yep. You got another turn coming.

Following along, and will report anything unusual. Knock on wood.

Side note: Camping World Denton, Texas Installed ours. At that time - they had a pretty good crew in there.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #163

Had the Invisibrake installed in our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid at the factory in Vancouver, Wash in 2015. I am also one who has stated that have had no problems until the problems started. Have had it back to the factory no less than 4 times due it locking up while hooked up to the RV and twice while being driven by my wife to take care of shopping. Now the fuse is always removed when not in use. Diodes have been changed and the front plug twice last time in June at the factory. On our way to Florida in September we made it 3,000 miles before they locked up again. On a clear dry day just like every time before. Currently using it with the fuse removed as Roadmaster has failed to find anyone in the Tallahassee area that understands the system. Will never use Camping World. So once again I will be calling them at the factory to explain my issues. I will be told it is out of warranty but bring it by when I am in Washington this coming summer and they will look at it. Looking for a better system but not right that i have have to spend another $1,000 because they don’t stand behind their product.
Will be at the Tampa RV show on Wednesday and check on the latest systems and hopefully end my visits to Roadmaster.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #164
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Had the Invisibrake installed in our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid at the factory in Vancouver, Wash in 2015. I am also one who has stated that have had no problems until the problems started. Have had it back to the factory no less than 4 times due it locking up while hooked up to the RV and twice while being driven by my wife to take care of shopping. Now the fuse is always removed when not in use. Diodes have been changed and the front plug twice last time in June at the factory. On our way to Florida in September we made it 3,000 miles before they locked up again. On a clear dry day just like every time before. Currently using it with the fuse removed as Roadmaster has failed to find anyone in the Tallahassee area that understands the system. Will never use Camping World. So once again I will be calling them at the factory to explain my issues. I will be told it is out of warranty but bring it by when I am in Washington this coming summer and they will look at it. Looking for a better system but not right that i have have to spend another $1,000 because they don’t stand behind their product.
Will be at the Tampa RV show on Wednesday and check on the latest systems and hopefully end my visits to Roadmaster.
Time to get rid of the diodes. Either install separate bulbs or if you have a tow hitch you can build a set of lights on a cross bar.

I had a tow hitch coupler thing that slides in the hitch to tow my boat. I just clamped a cheap piece of 1x1 square tube across the large area that goes into the socket of the car.

The cheap set of lights were bolted to the ends of the 1x1.

The wiring that went to the diodes/tail lights was then connected to a four pin tow plug near the new set of lights.

I have not had a hint of an issue with this setup and I leave mine powered 24/7. Living in Florida gives it plenty of chances of acting up due to moisture.

It's sad to hear they haven't fixed this. It would be easy knowing what the issue is. Guess they are waiting to get sued.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #165

Diodes keep current flowing in one direction. Many new cars have current flowing both ways (eg tail light out ) not sealing any electrical connection can became potential problem. I can't say what caused others problems. Possibly defective parts.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
I would expect Roadmaster to inspect and return base unit free of charge.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #167

Add me to the list��
Had the Invisibrake brake installed by a pro tech a couple months before our January departure from Ct to Florida. No problems at home with rain, snow or car washes but that was before we actually used it for anything but two test drives. Now, one month into our dream we cannot trust the car towed by the rv. We have encountered all the same issues as so many others in this thread have had, luckily nothing dangerous or expensive has happened YET!
We have a service appointment next week that my tech in Ct helped set up and is footing the bill for. He has been great to deal with by phone but we are now 1500 miles away from home. I have a feeling next week they are going to concentrate on waterproofing the diodes and call it good but after reading all 12 pages of this thread I'm not feeling confident that is going to "fix" the issues
slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #168
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slojo View Post
Add me to the list��
Had the Invisibrake brake installed by a pro tech a couple months before our January departure from Ct to Florida. No problems at home with rain, snow or car washes but that was before we actually used it for anything but two test drives. Now, one month into our dream we cannot trust the car towed by the rv. We have encountered all the same issues as so many others in this thread have had, luckily nothing dangerous or expensive has happened YET!
We have a service appointment next week that my tech in Ct helped set up and is footing the bill for. He has been great to deal with by phone but we are now 1500 miles away from home. I have a feeling next week they are going to concentrate on waterproofing the diodes and call it good but after reading all 12 pages of this thread I'm not feeling confident that is going to "fix" the issues

If possible dump the diodes and install separate bulbs. The diodes are one source or voltage leakage but any crap getting into the umbilical is asking for problems.

A battery cutoff would do the trick for sure.

Tags
brake