Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 05:05 AM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
Myron is the source of a safe “fix”. Any other attempt for a truly safe Invisibrake
Solution is just a temporary bandaid. Trust me!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #170

Has anyone notified NTSB?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #171
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Has anyone notified NTSB?

Yep. No response.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 AM   #172

Interesting. We have used the Invisibrake for 4 years without any problems. I clean the connectors before each trip with CRC Electrical Spray. They are covered when not in use. I also called their tech and asked what to check and how after two years for routine maintainance and he walked me through the procedure. Simple. The pre trip set up is easy and simple. I think there is some misinformation on this thread.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:54 AM   #173

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gary, I thought the same when this thread first started but the comments are actual “facts” regarding Roadmaster Invisibrake systems. Why would anyone posting on this thread misrepresent damages or technical issues? Certainly, no forum member is conspiring to damage Roadmaster. Personally, I had used the system for four plus years with “no” issues reading and dismissing post’s as just folks that got a “lemon” then BAM! Take time and read the entire thread. Myron still uses the system with modifications and I presume is happy? The mission statement of IRV2 certainly applies to information provided on this thread. Hope your system continues to serve you well.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #174
YC1

I think if one was to remove the fuse that powers the brake lights on the toad the voltage leakage/feedback would be eliminated.

That does not eliminate any stray voltage that can occur across contaminated contacts. The voltage in the umbilical although small, can creep across any crud in the contacts.

This system seems to use voltage appearing on the left and right turn signal lines to activate. That is to say it sees both turn signal lines come on at the same time. After that even if you turn on a signal that interrupts one side it still stays on for the pre-programmed time of the device.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #175

I also have used mine for 7 years with no problems. Also switched it to a new toad 2 years ago. That said, there's many who have had Roadmaster install theirs and had problems.
Where there's smoke.......
Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
Interesting. We have used the Invisibrake for 4 years without any problems. I clean the connectors before each trip with CRC Electrical Spray. They are covered when not in use. I also called their tech and asked what to check and how after two years for routine maintainance and he walked me through the procedure. Simple. The pre trip set up is easy and simple. I think there is some misinformation on this thread.
Care to share the maintenance process or is it on their website? It's probably in the paperwork (if I can find it)
Thanks
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #177

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post

Gary

As the person who started this thread I can assure you the problems are real. It was me driving my toad on a wet snowy road in heavy traffic that had the Invisibrake power up and lock my brakes.

And I should point out that this was a very new model and had only been in use a month or two.

I cannot speak to whether tech tips and such that have been shared here over the intervening four years are misinformation or not as I am no kind of technician. This is why I had Roadmaster install the thing in the first place!

All I know is I'm out $1200US for a system that may be at best unreliable and at worst dangerous.

Roadmaster has offered to inspect the system but they want it at their factory in Vancouver WA. Health concerns have to this point from traveling that far.
TexasEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #178

Similar problems. Luckily I bought A warranty and finally got my $1700 back. Don’t tow anymore. Rent cars or take public transportation .
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #179

Invisibrake System for 2014 Silverado??

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Time to get rid of the diodes. Either install separate bulbs or if you have a tow hitch you can build a set of lights on a cross bar.

I had a tow hitch coupler thing that slides in the hitch to tow my boat. I just clamped a cheap piece of 1x1 square tube across the large area that goes into the socket of the car.

The cheap set of lights were bolted to the ends of the 1x1.

The wiring that went to the diodes/tail lights was then connected to a four pin tow plug near the new set of lights.

I have not had a hint of an issue with this setup and I leave mine powered 24/7. Living in Florida gives it plenty of chances of acting up due to moisture.

It's sad to hear they haven't fixed this. It would be easy knowing what the issue is. Guess they are waiting to get sued.
I also read through this entire thread and was hoping for a good outcome since the beginning of the thread in 2015. This has been an interesting read. I really like the concept of this braking system because it uses the vacuum line to assist with the braking. It seems there are two major concerns with this product...the diodes for the toad rear tail/signal lights and water getting into the front plug. Both that seem to provide a voltage to the brake system unexpectedly. Did I read this correctly? I am planning on using the "Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit". I am also installing a 6 wire plug that will utilize the 7-6 wire Coiled Cable with Female Receptor between my MH and TOAD vehicle. Do you still not recommend using this "invisibrake system"?

I appreciate all of the comments and feedback of this thread. I hope everyone has found a solution as these systems are not cheap.

My other thought was to use the Ready Brake system which uses the "dead" brake method or the Blue Ox Patriot II.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #180
YC1

My Invisibrake does not use the vacuum. My stay in play did and it was a real pain too. Different story.

I promise you my next toad will have the ready brake on it. There have been too many faults with this system.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #181

Response from Roadmaster about Invisibrake engaging unexpectedly

Here is a response I got today from Roadmaster when I asked them to comment on the Invisibrake system engaging unexpectedly.

"As far as the brakes activating with water, it is a result of people installing a charge line on the vehicle w/o a diode on the charge line on the towed vehicle - on the receptacle on the front of the towed, the turn/brake wires (which activate the InvisiBrake) are located right below the charge line wire for the vehicle. Since the charge line is just a wire and a thermal breaker, electricity can travel in both directions, so when we are not hooked to the RV, the battery is sending power to the receptacle on the front of the towed. And since those wires are in such close proximity, the 12v electricity can 'jump' to the turn/brake wires resulting in the InvisiBrake thinking the brakes are being applied on the RV.

This can be caused by corrosion build up on the back of the plug, water/moisture inside the plug/back of plug. The quickest way to fix this issue (aside from pulling the InvisiBrake 20amp power fuse), you can install a park light diode on the charge line. This will allow the RV to send power to the battery and charge it but it will prevent the battery from allowing power to travel to the plug and activate the invisibrake.

Park light diode is part# 690."

Thought I would share this. I'm not really buying the comment about voltage "jumping" due to close proximity. I can see how voltage will travel on the wire to the brake system via "short" in the system. Is the "Park Light Diode" the diode that everyone was talking about shorting out? Or was is the diode from the rear brake/tail light kit?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #182

Roadmaster Invisibrake problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWRVMAN View Post
Here is a response I got today from Roadmaster when I asked them to comment on the Invisibrake system engaging unexpectedly.

"As far as the brakes activating with water, it is a result of people installing a charge line on the vehicle w/o a diode on the charge line on the towed vehicle - on the receptacle on the front of the towed, the turn/brake wires (which activate the InvisiBrake) are located right below the charge line wire for the vehicle. Since the charge line is just a wire and a thermal breaker, electricity can travel in both directions, so when we are not hooked to the RV, the battery is sending power to the receptacle on the front of the towed. And since those wires are in such close proximity, the 12v electricity can 'jump' to the turn/brake wires resulting in the InvisiBrake thinking the brakes are being applied on the RV.

This can be caused by corrosion build up on the back of the plug, water/moisture inside the plug/back of plug. The quickest way to fix this issue (aside from pulling the InvisiBrake 20amp power fuse), you can install a park light diode on the charge line. This will allow the RV to send power to the battery and charge it but it will prevent the battery from allowing power to travel to the plug and activate the invisibrake.

Park light diode is part# 690."

Thought I would share this. I'm not really buying the comment about voltage "jumping" due to close proximity. I can see how voltage will travel on the wire to the brake system via "short" in the system. Is the "Park Light Diode" the diode that everyone was talking about shorting out? Or was is the diode from the rear brake/tail light kit?

Thanks.

So after 7 years of trouble free service,I have also developed an instant on while driving toad. My first thought was diodes. I replaced all 4 but still had the same problem. Road master sent me the same reply about feedback crossover on power line. I intend to try a diode as instructed and see if that fixes it. It appears to be an easy instal.

Tags
brake