Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #43

Had Vancouver Factory install the Invisibrake System on our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Works as advertised for over 2,000 miles now and not worried to use it on upcoming trips. Just used it for 300 miles today
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
We have not towed our vehicle for some time due to life and health issues. As we prepare to tow again this fall and after reading all that is on here I am terrified of reconnecting the Invisibrake! I can't afford another set of tires!

Roadmaster wants to look at it at their Vancouver WA factory but I'm awfully nervous about driving it that far!
Glad your on the mend. I dont understand why you would have to drive such a distance to get the system calibrated? our system was installed by an independent RV repair service in NC where we lived. I fine tuned the brake pedal adjustment myself by adding a couple of round washers for spacers to adjust the vacuum action. Just hook up the tow, have DW step on the coach brake and adjust your system. The red LED at drivers position is the key to the brake adjustment setting. It should not be illuminated or flickering while pulling your tow. Watch your action and adjust the pressure guage for final operation.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #45
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
We have not towed our vehicle for some time due to life and health issues. As we prepare to tow again this fall and after reading all that is on here I am terrified of reconnecting the Invisibrake! I can't afford another set of tires!

Roadmaster wants to look at it at their Vancouver WA factory but I'm awfully nervous about driving it that far!
Do you mean "towing it that far" ? If so then just unplug the power connection on the front of the brake or pull the fuse to disable it. The lights will still work fine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
FLASH! I take back all the positive remarks about Roadmaster Invisibrake. You know Murphy Law? We'll never open your mouth and you might get by. We are just experiencing the exact problems folks have stated about the brakes suddenly activating on the Ford Edge not hooked up to the bus. I thought it was a transmission issue cause the Ford seemed to not shift. Nope,....frying the brand new pads and rotors. Roadmaster came back with the moisture at the plug. Very unlikely as this is an installation that's been in place for five years. Possible but not going to trouble shoot this far from home. We'll wait, then at home and on flatland not WV mountains! It's probably going into the can then to the dump!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #47
YC1

My invisibrake is extremely sensitive to a tiny bit of voltage leakage across any of the electrical terminals. That can be anywhere in the plugs, sockets, or umbilical cord. Combine water and dirt and you have a recipe for disaster. Water alone can do it. If mine acts up again it will join yours. Mine is several years old and hopefully the resolved the issue in later models.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Invisibrake charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Do you mean "towing it that far" ? If so then just unplug the power connection on the front of the brake or pull the fuse to disable it. The lights will still work fine.
If the fuse is pulled disabling the brake system will the car battery still be trickle charged?
Old 08-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Clay talk to Roadmaster they may give you a discount on a Roadmaster Brakemaster and I have a seat bracket that will fit the Edge that I will donate.
I would suggest M&G but they do not have one for the Edge.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #50
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
If the fuse is pulled disabling the brake system will the car battery still be trickle charged?
I'm not sure. I doubt it. However you would not be using much battery since the brake is disabled. I had to install a charge line on my Edge because it is really a power hog with the keyless ignition and all the stuff left on when towing.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Walt! I will give them a call. I'll elaborate on what I've studied and worked on today. Roadmaster says water at the female plug grill of the Ford, as stated been there since early 2011' no issues. Diodes are interior so no chance of water or moisture. I went thru the entire system today cleaning and stripping every connection. Checked all I possibly could and turned the pressure back up. Drove the Ford and no issues with braking. Hooked the system up to the bus red braking light came on in the bus and the brakes did activate but not enough to brake the car. I ran thru multiple pressure settings to no avail. Max pressure still equaled the same amount of pressure and the brake pedal at times seem to stick and needed pumping to release or pressure added to activate the LED on the bus dash. I turned the pressure all the way back down. Brake lights and turn signals work so I'm assuming the car while being towed will be charged?? Just no brakes. One other question for those in the know. Does the Ford Rdge have vacuum pressure brakes? I saw the tube in the back of the box and the 1/4 inch tube not connect together. Pushed them together nothing changed. However the compressor or vacuum tube is making a lot of noise never noticed before? Possibly compressor gone bad or diaphragm bad? Should I remove the vacuum line? Really confused at this junction. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #52
YC1

If it appears to be still locking up you need to take some voltage measurements. Using a digital voltmeter and a good ground measure the voltage on the wires going into the Brake device. Do this with it not activated, then do it with someone pushing the car brake pedal versus the rv pedal. Then do it with the rv. Be sure to write them down and do not try to remember them. You will get confused.

I saw some strange readings when mine was acting up and had a suspicion one of the diodes was leaking voltage back into the system. I then found the wire on the Edge front end a bit contaminated. After making sure everything was like brand new I have not had any more issues. However we have not had the heavy rains either.

I have a suspicion the feedback or leak may come from the Edge brake voltage when the Edge pedal is depressed. That voltage may be sensed by the Invisibrake and keep itself on. I was going to pull the Edge fuse associated with that circuit but have not done so since things are working properly.

If you can duplicate the problem readily perhaps you could pull the Edge fuse associated with the brakes and see if the problem persists.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Myron, much too complicated for me. I'm taking the vacuum line apart as I'm pretty sure it was never connected due to the Ford not having vacuum assist brakes. I'm sure your right there's a voltage problem? Just strange the system has worked since 2011 w/o issues. The more I'm invested into learning how and why not this system works the less I'm interested in investing my money and time on a repair. In summary, going to head home w/o brakes down these WV grades and work with another type and brand. One that is much less restricted and time proven.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #54

After telling me that they found voltage leak between the wires at the plug, they replaced the diodes in the tail light with their new in-house sealed diodes, and a new plug. This did not fix the problem. I demanded a full refund on the Invisibrake and installation. They offered to put in a Brakemaster instead, which I had them do. They were very nice about the whole thing. Then again, I made it pretty clear I would post on every forum I could find, file a complaint with the Attorney General, etc. I dealt directly with Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA. I had a Brakemaster before, and never had a problem. It really only takes a minute to connect or disconnect, and I know it will not have the problems the Invisibrake had. In my opinion, Roadmaster needs to recall the Invisibrake, replace everyone's system with an alternative, or issue a credit.
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks PDX I'm going to ask for some credit and take your suggestion and have the Breakmaster installed. This appears an evident issues that could result in costly lost property ie, brakes and rotors, my case and brand new just three months ago. Obviously a lot of liability involved. I'm thankful it wasn't under tow when the brakes locked. Shame on Roadmaster!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #56
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDisco View Post
After telling me that they found voltage leak between the wires at the plug, they replaced the diodes in the tail light with their new in-house sealed diodes, and a new plug. This did not fix the problem. I demanded a full refund on the Invisibrake and installation. They offered to put in a Brakemaster instead, which I had them do. They were very nice about the whole thing. Then again, I made it pretty clear I would post on every forum I could find, file a complaint with the Attorney General, etc. I dealt directly with Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA. I had a Brakemaster before, and never had a problem. It really only takes a minute to connect or disconnect, and I know it will not have the problems the Invisibrake had. In my opinion, Roadmaster needs to recall the Invisibrake, replace everyone's system with an alternative, or issue a credit.
This confirms my readings now. Excellent input. I plan on replacing mine with a ready brake if it acts up one more time. Diodes are also seen as resistors, although very high value ones. If their input circuitry is designed to be incredibly sensitive any tiny voltage straying across them when the pedal is pulled down and sending voltage from the vehicle system could be fed back. Redesigning the input would be very simple. Most likely a simple load resistor would work. I don't want mine to act up again but if it does I know where and how to make the measurements quickly. I do like the brake when it is working.

Tags
brake