Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #99
YC1

I checked out my tail lights yesterday. It is a Ford Edge. It would be difficult but not impossible to install my own lights. However the issue would then be the Edge lights coming on via the pedal and the brightness would over ride my turn signals.

So I would need to install a brake light in the main section and a second bulb in the turn signal section. All doable but I may just built a simple slap on set of lights and connect them via my tow hitch and a pin.

My next brake will be the Ready brake. Something simple and mechanical.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #100

Invisabrake...I had the dash light flashing and the RV jerking. It was wet weather. I did suspect the connector. So I dried it off and put "electrical grease" that is used for lights and connectors. I had a small packet that came with the battery deiconnect. The disconnect was another problem. Without it the car battery went dead. I think from the "trickle charge" on the invisabrake. I wired the invisabrak an the powerside of the disconnect.
Viewusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #101
YC1

Using separate bulbs inside the existing fixture is not possible on my vehicle.

The issue I came up with using separate bulbs inside the existing fixture is that the Edge turns the brake light bulbs on and if I am signaling left or right that light will cover up the blinking light.

I have removed the diodes and returned the Edge back to factory status.
Since I have a tow hitch it is now being utilized as a removable tow light mount. This totally isolates the Invisibrake from the toad except for main power.m I will however keep the brake unpowered when not in use.

I will post a picture when it stops raining.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #102

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for info and incoming picture.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #103
YC1

The light kit was $20 from HF. A 1 inch square tube from Home Depot is the cross bar. A tiny bit of welding things together and fastening the cross bar to one of my tow bars and the Invisibrake and Edge brakes will never see each other electrically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160129_114130827_HDR.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	117794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160129_114151139_HDR.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	117795  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160129_114157719_HDR.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	117796  

Old 01-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #104

Fleetwood Owners Club
Darn, that's nice! Necessity is the mother of invention. Is that how it goes? Great Job.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #105
YC1

I was tired of buying brake controllers that function poorly. I had a SMI in my last vehicle and had to take it apart and redesign it to work in that setup.

I was going to buy a Ready Brake this Spring but my ego and stubborness got in the way. I spent enough time diagnosing the problem and am confident this will eliminate the majority of issues. I did move my toad wiring connector up much higher to help eliminate any water issues.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #106
YC1

One test not performed is hooking up to the RV and running water into the sockets. I will be towing on Tuesday and hopefully I will remember to drag the water hose out and test.

After re-reading the full thread the common denominator seems to be setups using diodes.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Staying subscribed and definitely like the idea of moving the receptacle up!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #108

Freightliner Owners Club
I see this end on 02/01/2016. I just purchased an Invisibrake to use on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I have separate Brake, Turn, Taillights on the Jeep just for use with the MH. I also installed a power relay and switch (as I have on my other brake systems) to allow the power to be removed from the brake system when not in use (towing). I may get it installed this weekend (or not). But, reading through all these posts, it appears that everyone having a problem was using the tow vehicle Brake, Turn and Tailights with the use of the diode packs. I am hoping that without the diode packs these problems are eliminated. Time will tell.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michael, I hope your correct. I suggest there are other gremlins within ie., plugs for one but others also. I've tried many different solutions and "it" just groans in disgust at me. It's removed and "deep sixed".
Old 02-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #110
YC1

I am a stubborn Electronic Tech and really don't want to toss an expensive component in the trash. Since I was able to identify several areas of problems I have removed the diodes and installed a removable light bar. It goes into the tow hitch.

The socket on the front of the Edge was also moved up as far as possible.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #111

We had ordered an Invisibrake for our new toad. I had discussed pretty extensively with a national RV store chain, but hadn't done much internet research. After seeing this thread & more research, I went back and told them to cancel the order. When I talked to the parts supervisor, I let her know about the information out there on Invisibrake. This person wasn't surprised; they have had issues but Invisibrake blames it on their installation. The supervisor told me "yeah, I couldn't really say much when you were in here, but I wouldn't put my family in a car with that system on it!" That's crap. I understand corporate policy, and we all know to be careful with corporations, but you are talking about people's lives. I told her what's out there on this system, and someone is going to get killed over it. And when that happens, there is enough prior knowledge that they are going to get sued back to the stone age. Anyway we went with Brake Buddy Vantage, has a remote so I can know if the brakes come on, and when I'm not using it it's completely pulled out of the car--I like that, nothing messing with our original braking system and nothing hooked up when it's not a toad. Thanks all.
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
You made a wise decision. I'll post when we get our edge back and let folks know what it cost when the brake locked by itself and burned up?

Tags
brake