Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #113

You guys saved my bacon. I was going to pull my Invisibrake off my 98 Honda Accord that the light has came on before and installing it on my 2011 Ford Edge Sport but after reading everything here I went with the Air Force One. We just went to the Portland RV show and I was talking to a Roadmaster independent installer and he said he will not install one unless the owner signs off on it that they are not liable if something happens, he said it's up to the owner.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting, I'm going to FMCA rally this week. Going to fill someone's ear with my thoughts whether they listen or not!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
When we had the Invisabrake installed on our 94 Honda Accord, we didn't have any issues while hooked up, but it did lock up after I had disconnected during a rain storm in Wisconsin. I pulled the plug on it until I got home. Now, when we bought the CRV about a year and half ago, I had the Invisbrake removed from the Accord and installed in the CRV. I have had no problems what-so-ever in this car and installation. I did some driving last week in the rain and worried about it, but everything was fine. I do conceded there are issues with the unit in some installations that are not understood or acknowledged. To now, I am happy with the way it works in this car.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #116

I have an appointment at CW this Friday to have the Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Cherokee. My Brake Buddy failed this week with what appears to be a bad compressor, so I thought, good time to go to the invisibrake.

Well, I will be cancelling the appointment in the morning.

I have a 2 month trip planned on July 1st, so I have to find a replacement braking system for my Jeep and Georgetown gasser.

Other than it dying, I had zero issues with the brake buddy. Will start the research for a replacement system.

Thanks to all here who had to endure the pain and agony for the betterment of us who can avoid the purchase alltogether.

USAF Veteran 1975-81, Giant Talk ATC, Combat Crew Communications, proud DAV.
Squealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squealers View Post
I have an appointment at CW this Friday to have the Invisibrake installed on my Jeep Cherokee. My Brake Buddy failed this week with what appears to be a bad compressor, so I thought, good time to go to the invisibrake.

Well, I will be cancelling the appointment in the morning.

I have a 2 month trip planned on July 1st, so I have to find a replacement braking system for my Jeep and Georgetown gasser.

Other than it dying, I had zero issues with the brake buddy. Will start the research for a replacement system.

Thanks to all here who had to endure the pain and agony for the betterment of us who can avoid the purchase alltogether.
Smart move. If you have a tow bar then I would look at the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System - Proportional
I have the Air Force One made by SMI works great but made for air brakes.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree 100% with 2 Stroker. After paying for all the damage generated by the Invisibrake and believe me the cost would have been close to $2000.00 dollars if not for Ford warranty on the "brain". We bought the SMI Air Force One and have had it in service for several trips. It's performance, so far, has been comforting. Definitely can tell the difference in stopping distance and the simplicity coupled with engineering make the price more palatable. I'm amazed RM is still marketing a very dangerous product!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #119
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NSA Ready Brake | HitchSource.com

You can bet my next brake will be the Ready Brake. No electronics to act up. Since I built a light kit for mine the diodes are not in place and it is less likely to act up. In any case I have it set up to show when the toad brakes are in use.

The invisibrake stays unplugged unless towing too. Anyone that is still using theirs I would highly recommend disabling it when not in use. Just pull the fuse.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
I was worried with ours to but have not had any issues since installing in the CRV. When we had it on our 90 Accord we had it lock up in the rain, so I pulled the plug on it. So far we have not had the same problem, even in the rain. RM says it's water in the diodes, but I didn't see evidence of that either.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #121

After much research I have ordered the ReadyBrake system. The reviews are solid, and I like that it has zero effect on the toad when not connected to the MH. Much like my defunct Brake Buddy.

Also what seems like a simple connection process, was another feature I liked.

I got the breakaway set up as well, and will be having my local RV shop install the system on my Jeep next week! Thanks for everyone's advice and wisdom.

USAF Veteran 1975-81, Giant Talk ATC, Combat Crew Communications, proud DAV.
Squealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #122

Invisibrake

Was considering installing a Invisibrake on my new Forester as part of Toad setup. Now probably not. Thanks
Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #123

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the Invisibrake installed on our 2014 CR-V by Camping World in Denton, Texas about 2 years ago. They are the only CW I would trust to touch anything* (not an endorsement of them now because we are full time and don't know what tech changes may have occurred since). I had a long and positive relationship with them dating back to the 90's. They serviced my '91 Airstream B Van on numerous occasions.

Yesterday I had the 20,000 mile scheduled service done at the Honda dealership in Bloomington Illinois, oil, tire rotation, brake check, etc. I asked them to pay careful attention to the brakes. They checked out fine. I'm pretty sure if there were any issues at all I would have new brakes today.

The install CW did included the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain base plate, towbar, the repeater for the TST 507's, trailer harness and bike rack on the CR-V. All of these things have been in constant use since before going in Nov 2014.

Maybe I've just been lucky. But I couldn't be more pleased with entire Roadmaster setup. The only issue I've had is the line between the Invisibrake and their light / buzzer in the coach broke. One of the male ends got crushed. They sent me another for $14.28 including shipping. Could have made one but was on the move when it happened, so had it sent ahead.

16,000 continuous, trouble free miles with mine.

* Side note... also had the Roadmaster Fusemaster installed in the CR-V to disable the Navigation. CW St. George Utah had it on the rack. Asked them about it. They knew the ropes so I let them do it. What a great decision that was. No more battery problems. Could have put the larger tray and bigger battery in but this thing has been great.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
Steve, I was just like you, singing praises after four years of service. Then "pow" out of nowhere while in the mountains of WV last year driving 15 miles to the grocery store the toad brakes totally fried. Then electrical issues with the Ford Edge just continued to deflate the old wallet. RM response, "fill the plug on the grill with silicone" water issue. Not! Hope your luck continues.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #125

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Steve, I was just like you, singing praises after four years of service. Then "pow" out of nowhere while in the mountains of WV last year driving 15 miles to the grocery store the toad brakes totally fried. Then electrical issues with the Ford Edge just continued to deflate the old wallet. RM response, "fill the plug on the grill with silicone" water issue. Not! Hope your luck continues.
Thanks Clay. I wonder if they changed the plug. The spring loaded cover on mine is tighter than a tick. It's difficult to lift it, and very tight to plug in. Almost requires 3 hands.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #126
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Thanks Clay. I wonder if they changed the plug. The spring loaded cover on mine is tighter than a tick. It's difficult to lift it, and very tight to plug in. Almost requires 3 hands.
That would be a poor fix for a poor design,. Their input circuitry is too sensitive to stray voltage. It should require a respectable amount of current versus a weak voltage to control their inputs. They may have already modified the circuitry and of course would never divulge that information unless the NTSB forced the issue. I suspect it would only take a couple of load resistors on the front end to make them safer.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake