Roadmaster Sterling towbar binding
I have a Roadmaster Sterling towbar 6k rated, purchased new in 2003. It is the early design with the screw on attachment heads on the vehicle end of the bars. Anyway, over the past several years it has become increasingly harder to move in/out on hookup or dismount/storing.
Called Roadmaster. They are very good at helping. They said probably all it needed was a "quicky overhaul" (no components replaced). Evidently the plastic bushings on the RV end of the rod swell over time. He suggested I pull out the rods, lightly sand the plastic bushings on the end, clean the innards and bore nicely, spray everything lightly with silicone spray and put back together. Took around 30 minutes for each side. I took my sweet time (one beer for each side).
Very easy to do. On the vehicle end remove the head by removing the bolt, two inside plastic washers and outside washer and locknut. Unscrew the head (early models like mine only). Lift on the release handle and slide everything out the RV end of the bore. There is a plastic sleeve that will need to be pushed out of the bore either with a wadded rag or long wood rod or similar. I didn't remove that. Spayed down the inside with brake clean, blew out with air, cleaned rod with brake clean, dried everything, sprayed lightly with silicone and re-installed. The hardest part was aligning the rod with that inner plastic sleeve, but once you realize it is in there, not to hard. I pushed it to the RV end of the bore which allows you to align the rod into it with your finger and push the rod back thru.
On the screw on head like I have it is important to screw the head on the furthest it will go and still allow the bolt to go thru without forcing, turning half turns at a time and checking.
Worked like a charm. Everything like new now. Well, almost.