Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

Roadmaster tow bar with no cross bar

We are setting up a new tow bar assembly on our 18 Durango and our 18 London Aire. The new tow bar assembly from Roadmaster doesn't use a cross bar and since we have never used a tow bar without cross bar wanted to check if anyone has had a problem without cross bar. Because GC Jeep's and Durango have had sway problems was wondering if not having cross bar be a cause for this. We had a 18 Durango for our LA which was totaled by hail damage and towed over 10K miles without any sway problems which had a cross bar. Don't want to have issues with sway because we don't have a cross bar. After connecting up Durango there is a lot more tow bar movement with out cross bar.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roadmaster sells a crossroad for about $35.00. My Stowmaster has the crossbar. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It depends on the bracket attached to your towed. They have started placing the crossmember behind the bumper facia so the external crossmember is no longer needed unless you use the Stowaway or guardian.
In fact I converted my '14 CR-V from using the crossmember to the new style.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...cket_type.html
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My Roadmaster Sterling came with a cross bar, but I used the EZ5 brackets which don't need the crossbar. It's hanging in my shed in case I ever get a vehicle that has brackets that need a crossbar. The EZ5 mount is very inconspicuous when the brackets are removed. A toad shouldn't ever have an issue with sway because there is no weight on the bar and you've got four wheels at the corners.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

I love the new style without the crossbar. There’s a crossbar under the bumper.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #6

I installed the EZ5 baseplate on my Corolla IM, it does not use a crossbar...no issues what so ever with sway or anything else. It's a much cleaner look. FYI, the new tow defender 4750 was designed to connect using the EZ5 system, the older tow defender 4700 requires the crossbar.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We are setting up a new tow bar assembly on our 18 Durango and our 18 London Aire. The new tow bar assembly from Roadmaster doesn't use a cross bar and since we have never used a tow bar without cross bar wanted to check if anyone has had a problem without cross bar. Because GC Jeep's and Durango have had sway problems was wondering if not having cross bar be a cause for this. We had a 18 Durango for our LA which was totaled by hail damage and towed over 10K miles without any sway problems which had a cross bar. Don't want to have issues with sway because we don't have a cross bar. After connecting up Durango there is a lot more tow bar movement with out cross bar.
Roadmaster offers either "Direct-Connect Baseplate" or "Crossbar-Style Baseplate". I prefer the extra rigidity of the crossbar.

Been towing a 2014 Jeep GC for over 20,000 miles, never had any "sway" issues.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
My Roadmaster Sterling came with a cross bar, but I used the EZ5 brackets which don't need the crossbar. It's hanging in my shed in case I ever get a vehicle that has brackets that need a crossbar. The EZ5 mount is very inconspicuous when the brackets are removed. A toad shouldn't ever have an issue with sway because there is no weight on the bar and you've got four wheels at the corners.
RoadMaster states that you need the crossbar if you use the Sterling towbar. See my earlier post for the link to their statement on their website. There must be a reason, call them and verify
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
RoadMaster states that you need the crossbar if you use the Sterling towbar. See my earlier post for the link to their statement on their website. There must be a reason, call them and verify
The safety cables that come with the Sterling have special connectors at the toad end to pass through the small Sterling cable management slots. Only the crossbar mount will accept these special connectors. You can still use the Sterling with the non crossbar mount if you use traditional coiled safety cables instead of the ones that come with the Sterling. The Falcon All Terrain tow bar (what I have) has cable management slots large enough to pass straight safety cables with standard hooks and will thus work directly with the non crossbar EZ5 baseplates. I suspect (but haven’t researched it) that the other Roadmaster tow bars are the same.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The cross bar is part of the baseplate, not the tow bar?

Looked and the Roadmaster baseplate for the 2018 Durango is available with or without a cross bar.

As heavy as the Durango is I'd get the baseplate with the cross bar, they are sturdier.

521449-4 if you have adaptive cruse.

521445-4 if you do not have adaptive cruise.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't know why they say that. The directions that come with the Sterling state it's compatible with the EZ5 base plate and it tells you to skips the steps that reference the crossbar quick disconnect. Neither the quick disconnects nor the cross bar will connect to the EZ5 baseplate.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
The safety cables that come with the Sterling have special connectors at the toad end to pass through the small Sterling cable management slots. Only the crossbar mount will accept these special connectors. You can still use the Sterling with the non crossbar mount if you use traditional coiled safety cables instead of the ones that come with the Sterling. The Falcon All Terrain tow bar (what I have) has cable management slots large enough to pass straight safety cables with standard hooks and will thus work directly with the non crossbar EZ5 baseplates. I suspect (but haven’t researched it) that the other Roadmaster tow bars are the same.
That makes sense. The safety cables supplied with the Sterling can't be used with the EZ5 base plate because it doesn't have a slot for the end of the cable to latch into. That is on the quick disconnect part of the crossbar. I ordered another set of 6000 lb cables which I can thread through the small tunnel on the Sterling tow bar. I had to squish the loop and pull it through with a coat hanger, but it went.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think it is a matter of preference i use the X bar when i tow my pickup and use the EZ5 on the Kia Soul or if i had another small toad, i feel its safer on a 6000# tow to use the X bar sysrem. Its not that mutch more trouble to hook up.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #14

My Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar came with a cross bar, and right now it is sitting in a storage building. My Roadmaster base plate EZ5 for my previous toad and my current one did not require one. Good thing, cause that crossbar is really fugly and heavy and I’d hate to use it if not required. No issues.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster, tow