RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RoadMaster Tow Bars & SMI Stay-N-Play Vs RoadMaster Invisa Brake

I guess I will combine two questions in this one thread.
Hope you are all out and having safe travels. My wife and I are looking to purchase a RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar, and Bracket set up. I was thinking of getting a RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar, but I really like the features of the Night Hawk.

I have a question about getting a new brake system for my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm about to have a very bad case of "Analysis Paralysis". I have read and I have talked to Blue Ox and RoadMaster and SMI. I have called 4 Trailer Supply Co. and looked at too numerous websites until SWMbO and I are almost at each other's throats.

I looked at another (to remain nameless) website and some of the answers I got I wanted to reply that they needed to get a life.

WE have a gas engine RV. It's a 2005 Fleetwood 26Q on an E450 chassis. It has the V10 6.8L Triton Engine. I know it's getting old but we are now both retired and it's paid for. We have an AM Solar solar system on our RV. And we just replaced the 6 flooded batteries, with 6 Lifeline 220Ah AGM's.

My question is Which is better to purchase, also the Pro's and Con's on both units, please. Is it easy to install or should I have a mechanic or a trailer supply RV shop install it?
Thanks

"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #2

I can't offer the comparisons you asked for as I have only owned the Roadmaster -SMI combination you mentioned. I have towed using a Sterling towbar and an SMI Stay N Play braking system for 12 years and over 49K miles. I only had a few problems with the towbar arms binding. Roadmaster gave me a new set of arms for towbar. I won't get into the reasons for the issue, but they did respond in a positive manner to my problems and it was resolved. Never had any issues with the SMI system.

I recently sold my toad and the towbar and SMI system along with it. I am currently having my 2013 Ford Edge set up with Roadmaster base plates and an new SMI Stay N Play Duo system. The reason I chose the SMI is because the braking system does not push on a dead brake pedal primarily. I also like the fact that there is nothing to do except plug it in and turn it on to tow. If you have ever tried to stop your car with no vacuum in the system, you know how much force has to be applied to the brake pedal.

As far as self installation, I did my previous SMI install, but now I just don't have the time as I am still working. With reasonable mechanical skills, there is no reason you should not be able to install both yourself. If you run in to a glitch, just call them and they will talk you through it.

So, I guess you can say I am fan of both. I am very happy with both systems as they have worked well for me, plus both companies have excellent customer support. If it isn't broke, then why fix it?

Old 04-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, Zeb. I guess that's one vote for the SMI Brake System.
Which tow bar are you getting?
"Semper Fi"
Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
w6pea-

Our former Class C manufacturer has an active user group. One of the long-timers had a car just like ours, and equipped it with a Roadmaster Sterling towbar- so that's what we did. We diverged by adding a Stay-in-Play Duo. We still tow that car. So far we've towed about 12,000 trouble-free miles.

I installed the Duo myself, and the tail light system. Our mechanic installed the baseplate (also Roadmaster).

I look at many of the toad posts. It's my impression that the NSA Ready-Brute Elite has a bunch of happy owners. Almost any system that's been around will... do read the posts on the Invisibrake problems, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Thanks, Zeb. I guess that's one vote for the SMI Brake System.
Which tow bar are you getting?
Using the Falcon All Terrain. Got a deal on one a couple of years ago that I could not refuse. Best wishes in your travels.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #6

I went with Roadmaster, base plate and Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All Terrain 10K tow bar. I order everything from e'trailer. SMI Air Force One (air brakes)
One thing to look at on the Blue Ox base plate they have nothing to hold the 2 frame rails together if you have to stop quick may turn into a wish bone where the roadmaster has a bar under the bumper cover to hold both sides together.
We had the Blue Ox installed on my daughters 2016 Ford Edge and a week later we got a call from Blue Ox to have it removed because of an enhancement ASAP and they had the new one shipped to the installer and paid for everything but our time and gas. Larger side plates and a cross bar.
Look at the difference.
https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2016...d+Cherokee.htm

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I went with Roadmaster, base plate and Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All Terrain 10K tow bar. I order everything from e'trailer. SMI Air Force One (air brakes)
One thing to look at on the Blue Ox base plate they have nothing to hold the 2 frame rails together if you have to stop quick may turn into a wish bone where the roadmaster has a bar under the bumper cover to hold both sides together.
We had the Blue Ox installed on my daughters 2016 Ford Edge and a week later we got a call from Blue Ox to have it removed because of an enhancement ASAP and they had the new one shipped to the installer and paid for everything but our time and gas. Larger side plates and a cross bar.
Look at the difference.
https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2016...d+Cherokee.htm

2 stroker
The Road Master EZ-5 as that appears in the link is the same one that I am ordering tomorrow after I get home from an appointment I have in the morning.
Thanks for the heads up. Here is a photo of our Jeep and our Jamboree
26Q. The Ram Truck in the background is my daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Fleetwood 26Q.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	159697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 IMG_0606.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	159698  

"Semper Fi"
Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
w6pea-

Your Grand Cherokee weight may be at the upper limit of your hitch rating of 5,000 pounds. Also, because you've added some heavy items such as solar and extra batteries to the coach, the difference between the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) may be less than 5,000 pounds when the coach is loaded. What this means is that you'd be wise to take both coach and toad to a local scale and get them weighed, preferably before you buy towing stuff. It'd be a bummer to go through the installation and find the toad or combo is substantially overweight.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
l1v3fr33ord1-170021

I am think about that too, but of all the vehicles the JGC is a little heavy but it's the lightest one, of all the vehicles that DW can get in an out of with ease. And we don't have much of anything in the coach except for the two of us.
But I think I might just get both weighed to make sure thanks. And just think I drove trucks all of my working life and didn't think about the GCWR, I will double check that.
"Semper Fi"
Old 04-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
RoadMaster Tow Bars & SMI Stay-N-Play Vs RoadMaster Invisa Brake

w6pea, I tow a 2016 JGC Limited with a RM Sterling, SMI Duo PnP, RM Guardian and RM Tow Defender. I have used RM products for over 10 years and I can tell you they stand behind their products. When I got the JGC I ordered the baseplate (already had the Sterling) from eTrailer at RM's recommendation. I also hooked up a charge line from the MH. The installation including the light kit took about 4 hours, grand kids kept interrupt, and the SMI installation took about 3. I have been very pleased with this set up, just finished a 7,600 mile trip Cape Cod to LA and back with stops in Texas on the way. We had no problems with the set up and never had a dead battery. I would use those products again. Oh yeah, I installed the Tow Defender before we went to Alaska in 2014. If you have any questions PM me.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

No one compared SMI Duo to Roadmaster Invisibrake but guess few people have experience with both system. I am trying to decide between the two systems. Any praises or complaints on either system is appreciated.

jamjantan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow