Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Roadmaster Tow Defender

We are newbies to our MH and especially towing. Has anyone had experience with the Roadmaster 4700 Tow Defender vs other types of protection for your toad? Thanks for your input.
AlwaysDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I'm interested in the replys you get. Tired of cleaning road grime and blow by off my toad.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
It is the easiest and best thing going. After about 20K miles of towing, I have no more chips than with normal driving. The only thing is it will not keep the mud and grime off. But that is because it's a fabric. It's worth while because it keeps the big stuff off.
Installation is simple, both the initial setup and the normal hookup. Stowing is easy, roll it up and secure it with the straps provided and when they stretch out, use bungees cords. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best investments that I've made
Bruce
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Bruce -- thanks for your reply. Good info.

jim
AlwaysDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've towed 50,000 miles without any protection on the front of my toad. I have watched guys putting them on and taking them off and thought to myself that it would be a pain.

I have picked up a couple small chips but nothing major enough to warrant the hassle everyday of removing and installing a cover.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I used the tow defender on our Alaska trip this last summer. I towed some without using it and had alot of gravel in the trough below the windshield. After days where the shield was in place, there was very little debris and what there was, was very small. If you will be towing on dirt or gravel roads or on roads that have been recently resurfaced with chip seal, the tow defender is a great deal for the money and, as mentioned earlier, easy to install.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've towed 50,000 miles without any protection on the front of my toad. I have watched guys putting them on and taking them off and thought to myself that it would be a pain.

I have picked up a couple small chips but nothing major enough to warrant the hassle everyday of removing and installing a cover.
A friend of mine told me when I suggested he buy a Tow Defender that he would never use one. Or need it. Later that summer he told me about the $7000 repair job on his Toad. He had driven thru a construction area in Northwestern Washington. In just a few miles his grill, all the front lights, hood, windshield, top and both fenders were trashed. So I guess it's just a personal preference.
It takes all of about 30 seconds to unroll the TD, put the brackets on the pins of the tow crossbar, and install the lock pins. I think it's well worth the time.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

i've used the gaurdian before settling on the defender. defender keeps alot more "stuff" off our toad. still get the grime, no stopping that. easy to use and it works!
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought a very nice 2004 Jeep Liberty with a beautiful paint job...I want to keep it that way so I bought the Tow Defender along with the Guardian Rock Shield
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

My daughter just got the Protect-a-Tow for there 2016 Ford Edge and I have the Roadmaster Guardian Rock Guard.
Protect-a-Tow
2 stroker
Dang this is a old post, O well.
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

I have both the tow defender and a Guardian (the hard shield) and didn't even get a xmas card from Roadmaster....

I believe they protect from slightly different threats and my Toad has not suffered any damage from road debris since I installed them.

They are what Roadmaster calls it's "Alaska Kit". We haven't done Alaska yet, but it's coming up.

I will sometimes not deploy the tow defender if I'm going a short distance on paved roads. That is just me being lazy. It probably adds 2 or 3 minutes to my toad hook up/unhook time now for both of them now that I've got the procedure down.

If you buy the Guardian, I highly recommend the Stowaway for stowing the Guardian when not in use.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote