Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roadmaster vs Blue Ox

Any preferences or problems with either Roadmaster or Blue Ox dinghy equipment? I am looking to dump the dolly and go four down with a Honda CRV.
johntiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Remember that the new CRVs are NOT towable four down. As far as Road Master or Ble Ox both will do the job equally. I chose Blue Ox simple because I liked the clean look of the car when not towing.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
My first tow bar was a Roadmaster. I kept it for several years. When I sold my Dodge Dakota last year I just left it on it. Decided to go with the Blue Ox on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Wow what a difference. The front end of my Jeep is cleaner looking with it than it would have been if I had gone back the Roadmaster. The other thing is the hook up and the unhooking is so much faster. Just for those 2 reasons I would recommend the Blue Ox over the Roadmaster.

Jerry
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both are good units IMHO.
I like the RoadMaster due to the extra strength from the crossmember. Have had our Sterling since 2005 and have had no troubles with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use and like our Blue Ox, but although I've never owned RoadMaster I have looked at them on friends motorhomes and it also looks like a very good unit. Selah said it right when stating both would work equally as well in my opinion. One big advantage that the Blue Ox has in my opinion is the removable connection pins that connect the tow bar clevis to the toads mounting plate are easy to install and remove and take very little room to store and don't weigh much. And as already stated, the base plate pretty much disappears when the connection pins are removed. So much so that we've had to point out where the connecting points are for towing to friends that wonder how we can tow the car behind our motorhome.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

I had my roadmaster sterling serviced at the Tiffin Rally this spring in Orlando ( I had been using it since 2008 and thought it would be good to get it looked at) and saw Blue Ox servicing a lot of their units. If I'm not mistaken, some of the Blue Ox metal parts are sourced outside the US. I haven't heard of either brand having any major flaws. I guess it's a toss up about which to get. Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We bought the blue ox tow bar .
Love it, if there is an easier one it must come with someone to do it for you.
That's the only way it could be easier.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

Blue Ox base plate and Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Knock on wood, the Cherokee stays right behind the Bay Star. I don't really care for the cross bar on the Roadmaster tow bars.

This is kind of like the Blonde .VS. Brunette question. It's all about what looks better to you. Both will do the job equally well.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 10,000 lb tow bar. I have a lot of trouble with this tow bar whenever we're on dusty gravel roads. My next tow bar will be something else.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk 10,000 lb tow bar. I have a lot of trouble with this tow bar whenever we're on dusty gravel roads. My next tow bar will be something else.

Jim
Can you elaborate.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post

Jim
Can you elaborate.

X2
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Can you elaborate.
Sure.

On my Roadmaster Blackhawk, the tow bar shafts are not sealed. Dust enters and settles in the tow bar tubes. In extreme dust conditions, the tubes used to fill with gravel dust. I removed the plastic end caps from the tubes to prevent that from happening again.

I have learned the hard way to never use any kind of lubricant. The bushings are plastic, and lubricant simply sticks the gravel particles to the plastic bushings. The gravel then embeds into the plastic bushing, causing it to swell and bind on the bar. Once this occurs, the bar is effectively seized and will no longer adjust for easy hook up to the toad. The only solution then is to disassemble the tow bar and machine the bushings to clearance.

Although I haven't examined them closely, I think the Blue Ox bars are sealed. If so, I think that could be a superior design.

Jim
Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Jim I had been using Roadmaster tow bars for over 15 yrs, about two yrs ago when I rigged up our CC F150 4X4 I shopped for a Roadmaster 10,000 tow bar and best price I could find for a Roadmaster was close to $1000 I then did a search for Blue Ox 10,000 tow bar and found one on eBay, A Blue Ox Aventa 10,000 for less than $600 new in the box with cables free ship, I Did have to buy blue ox to Roadmaster tabs I think around $50 , I still like Roadmaster Brackets better than B Ox but I really like the blue ox tow bar the way you set it out and it stays without having to hold it up I also like the storage lock and most of all I like the rubber covers covering the arms. I don't think you will go wrong on the Aventa.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Walt, I have noticed that the Blue Ox tow bars have rubber covers covering the arms. The other thing I have wondered about, the arm locks on the arms on the Roadmaster tow bar are not sealed. Dust can pour into the tow bar tubes through the arm locks. Do the arm locks on the Blue Ox tow bar have seals of any kind?

Jim

Tags
blue ox