Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Blue Ox Alum tow bar that I bought from C-List. Got a good deal, I think. Anyway I tow a 94 Honda Accord and had a Roadmaster baseplate installed on it. I like the set-up. The attachment points are under the car and when you take off the brackets, you hardly notice. I also have a Roadmaster Invisbrake system.

Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Better look at the Demco Commander. That is my choice over the others.

hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Originally Posted by nosnow222 View Post
We have a Roadmaster Falcon 2. Two days ago, while driving down I-30 the bar broke! (the metal bar that goes across the front of our jeep to the attatchment points) The bar broke close to the driver side attatchment side. This caused our Jeep to swing out to the right, putting large dents in the driver side of the Jeep, damaging the Jeep frame and transmission and putting a large hole in the back of our brand new 2013 Entegra Anthem. We have had the bar for several years, but it has had less than 10,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem? We are stuck in TX trying to get both our coach and Jeep repaired. Because of product failure, I don't think we would buy a Roadmaster again.
Wow, sorry to hear about your damage, but I am assuming no one was hurt. Do you have any pictures of the tow bar, the break, and also of the damage to the Jeep and coach. I have never seen or heard of one breaking where you a talking about.

Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
The wife and I have an ACE 27.1, and we're in the market for a tow bar. We're having the Blue Ox base plate installed on my Equinox in a couple of weeks (you can't beat the $29 install deal at Camping World...). We'ved looked on Craigslist, Ebay, and other sites for used tow bars, trying to save a buck or two. Considering we won't be doing too much heavy-duty towing (maybe a few thousand miles a year), this seemed to make sense.

After reading about tow bar failures in the above and several other threads, I'm starting to think I should get a new tow bar as opposed to used. Am I being too paranoid here?

T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
As with anything used, you don't what kind of abuse it has been subjected to. Did somebody back up with, etc. The tow bar is an investment that once purchased will serve you well for many years with different motorhomes or toads. You saved quite a bit with the install special, why not use that savings towards a new tow bar?
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
if you get a roadmaster towbar, for example falcon all terrain, you are safe even though a used, as only as no sign of bent in pivot and arms, an indication of backing up. roadmaster towbars are real heavy duty, you can't go wrong with it while save tons of money with a decent used.
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used the Roadmaster Falcon 2, It IMHO is difficult to use requiring an additional metal release bar. I still have it as a spare. Last year we bought the all Terrane and have been extremely pleased. If maintained and kept clean it will release first time every time.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Originally Posted by T_Van View Post
After reading about tow bar failures in the above and several other threads, I'm starting to think I should get a new tow bar as opposed to used. Am I being too paranoid here?

I was nervous about buying used but the price new was pretty steep.
We bought one of these: Blue Ox BX7335-RB Aventa II Tow Bar Class IV - Factory Remanufactured
Factory remanufactured by Blue Ox complete with 1-year warranty. 10,000 lb capacity. The Equinox is close to 5,000lb but wanted some more safety buffer.
Do you have the V6 or 4-cyl? I installed my own baseplate and had some issues with the power steering cooler. Had to do some creative modifications. The 4-cyl doesn't have that problem. Something to check with CW installers.
Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #23

Mine has the 4-cylinder, so I don't have to worry about the power steering cooler.

All - thanks for the suggestions!

T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote