Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster's Warning on Ford Neutral Tow

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/25-3913-00.pdf

I had the tow kit installed by the dealer in 2005 with no problems. Only recently have I noticed the security light stay on during our last trip. I found this by accident while searching for towing of a newer Explorer which can be done, but now I wonder how ours was hooked up..I have a feeling not the right way?

One think I have always noticed when disengaging the tow it seems the Explorer was sluggish for a 200 yds or so? Any suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
BTW, we tow a '99 4x4 Explorer, and looking into buying a newer one and another member said it is possible using a led light from Radio Shack and having for program the neutral tow option. I also have been reading on the new 2011 AWD Explorer and it will have a tow option.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
You would be better off running wire to the back and installing seperate lights.

Don't believe Ford when they tell you it is towable.Most Fords that are AWD are not towable but the 4x4 are. I bought the 2010 Explorer because they said it is towable by adding a dealer installed kit. Bought the car and then found out they don't make or sell the kit anymore and it's in their brochure. I called Detroit and asked them if they wanted to buy it back. They could care less.

I made my own kit for $23 and had Ford flash it . Works great.
My 2004 Explorer was just a led light and the flash. The '06 and later with the console shift has to have a limit switch installed on the side of the shift lever so it makes when pulled down into neutral.When you push on the brake pedal and the 4x4 button, it just moves the transfer motor between high 4x4 and low4x4 thus, in neutral. In fact, you could just wire a single pole single throw switch to the transfer module and leave it in park. But your taking a chance that you will lock the steering wheel.

If got pictures.Anyone?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlady View Post
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/25-3913-00.pdf

One think I have always noticed when disengaging the tow it seems the Explorer was sluggish for a 200 yds or so? Any suggestions.
I'm kind of sluggish myself, are you meaning the engine, transmission or just generally sluggish?

I'm thinking this is your concern from Roadmaster

Quote:
If a supplemental braking system is to be installed
in any Ford vehicle with a ‘neutral tow’ kit,
do not install a Brake-Lite Relay. Using a Brake-Lite
Relay in these vehicles may prevent disengagement
of the transmission for towing, causing severe
damage to the transmission.
Install a diode, rather than a Brake-Lite Relay,
according to the instructions below.
If so I think they are referring to the fact if you turn your ignition switch on when the transfer case is disengaged it will power itself up and re engage until such a time as you do the sequence again to disengage it. They are covering themselves in case someone intalls a brake light switch in such a way as to provide power to the NTS system

I'd also think if the original installing dealer did it wrong your transmission would have long since been toast.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm kind of sluggish myself, are you meaning the engine, transmission or just generally sluggish?

I'm thinking this is your concern from Roadmaster

If so I think they are referring to the fact if you turn your ignition switch on when the transfer case is disengaged it will power itself up and re engage until such a time as you do the sequence again to disengage it. They are covering themselves in case someone intalls a brake light switch in such a way as to provide power to the NTS system

I'd also think if the original installing dealer did it wrong your transmission would have long since been toast.
I think it feels like the brakes are dragging? BTW, we long since have quit using the Blue Ox braking system we went through two sets of brakes and four Blue Ox systems. Had the brakes lock up in the middle of 210 freeway in Pasadena, CA..not fun. We are thinking of going with the Air Force One system. This could have been a problem with the brake relay if it is installed. No problem with the transmission, although I just had to install a motor on the 4WD system (only have used the 4WD once). I am going to take it to Ford with all this documents and notes from all of your input.

Thanks so much.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only problem I have ever had is, the NTK will drop out with low battery voltage. I found this when my Evenbrake compressor went bad, it put an excessive current draw from the power port. Thank goodness I found this while setting up.

No brake system now but planning an Airforce One or similar in the near future
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlady View Post
I think it feels like the brakes are dragging?
Maybe take it somewhere and "road test" it with no brakes hooked up and see if it still feels the same? Or take it out with the brakes hooked up and when they seem like they are dragging slowly pull over to the side of the road (one with little to no traffic) then slowly (in case they are really hot) put one of your fingers near then on any and all of your brake rotors to see if they are hot or if one of them is hotter than the others as you might just have one brake caliper hanging up on it.

Do they seem to get sluggish after they've been used or just after a long period of driving with no brake use?

Sticking brake calipers are a fairly common problem for vehicles, it's not something that is limited to just Workhorse.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our current Explorer is the second we've had with the NTK. The first was an '04. With the current '08, after towing for some time, the vehicle seems to grab or hesitate only when backing up. This is especially true if you back up and turn at the same time. This will go on for days after a tow.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Our current Explorer is the second we've had with the NTK. The first was an '04. With the current '08, after towing for some time, the vehicle seems to grab or hesitate only when backing up. This is especially true if you back up and turn at the same time. This will go on for days after a tow.

YES, you hit it on the nose. Exactly what happens, now that I know that maybe I can roll backward if possible, before putting it into gear and moving forward. Although, I back up and go forward and can feel it going forward also, like it has to release something?