Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Rock guard necessary in Alaska?

We are headed up to Alaska in a few weeks. I have read about rock guards for toad vehicles. But everything I have seen references 4-wheels down towing. We tow our car on a dolly, so the front is up higher than it would be with all 4 down. I'm wondering if the car is a little bit out of harm's way on a dolly due to this angle? And maybe that's why I'm not seeing rock protectors on this type of setup?
lauravanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The problem will be with your rear flap. If it is to low, it will kick up stuff off the road. Make sure it is at least 6-8 inches off the ground.

Another thing to consider is rock guards directly behind the rear wheels. This is a huge help in keeping road debris off of the toad.

You could consider what is called an "under skirt" It is mounted like an apron from the coach to the front of the toad under the tow bar.

Also drive at a reasonable speed. I consider 50MPH as a top speed in AK
Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Summer run tho Anchorage 2015

We decided not to do the low rear flap on the motorhome and installed a protect- a- tow between the mo-ho and the front of the car for towing our Focus behind the Itasca on a dolly. The results were good. But we still experienced pebbles and gravel that came up around the side on to the hood and over the car on to the trunk lid- maybe from passing vehicles.

We used Reflect-ix to protect the windshield fastened by a strap through the doors and over the homemade cover (with Velcro around the sides). No problems with the toad windshield that way. Also covered the glass on the headlights.

The engine compartment on the toad loaded with dust and grit, and the car was coated with a heavy layer of the near concrete like material. It all washed off though with some elbow grease.

All in all the toad came through well- expect the horn which filled with dust and no longer works.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
Community Administrator

It's not only what your RV will kick up as on coming traffic will kick up things that you'll run into .

This is what I used .

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463653040.775685.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	127461

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauravanb View Post
We are headed up to Alaska in a few weeks. I have read about rock guards for toad vehicles. But everything I have seen references 4-wheels down towing. We tow our car on a dolly, so the front is up higher than it would be with all 4 down. I'm wondering if the car is a little bit out of harm's way on a dolly due to this angle? And maybe that's why I'm not seeing rock protectors on this type of setup?
I'm not sure what type of car you have, but we towed our 1997 Buick LeSabre over 25,000 miles on a dolly without any type of rock guard and never got a scratch.

On our first trip to Alaska we towed our Jeep 4 down. We did get some windshield chips on it, but they were from trucks passing us or going in the opposite direction.

Personally with our past experiences I wouldn't bother with a rock guard when towing with a dolly. The front end is high enough that you'll avoid 99% of the debris thrown up by the motorhome, and it won't do much good against passing vehicles.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club

Here is what we use, in Alaska or elsewhere. In Alaska I also had a piece of flexible insulation (available at Lowe's or HD) that I cut to cover the windshield, it was long enough to allow the doors to close over it and wide enough to slide under the hood. Some times we would find rocks on the hood, but the windshield was not cracked. We do tow 4 wheels down, but the same principles apply, put as much as you can between your toad and anything flying down the road.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463665892.969331.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	127469 as you can see, it is all RoadMaster.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

While I have not made the trip myself, a friend we winter with did the caravan last summer. He had a Monaco pulling a Ford fiesta, and it came back with a million chips. Mostly the hood and front fenders but some down the sides. I would never take a vehicle I was fond of. He will either need a new toad or a paint job.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #9

We used the same setup as DrDaveMa when we took our Jeep to Alaska. We still got windshield chips from passing trucks.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
So, the short answer is "yes", you should have protection. If you can wrap the entire car in Kevlar bubble wrap it would be ideal. There is a lot of flying aggregate up there, and not just from your own rig.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have spent many summers in Alaska since 2010. I have driven up and back three times with my full width Monaco Mud Flap attached. I have also read many threads in regards to people stating that they highly recommend removing them to eliminate damage. Frankly I haven't had any damage due to the Monaco Mud Flap being there and if anything it has done its job.

HOWEVER, while sitting in various RV Parks in Alaska watching the many different coaches come in to stay a few days and then leave there have been coaches where the full length rear flap is almost touching the ground and already kicking up gravel from the road inside the RV Park. Then there are others that have flaps that are well elevated from the ground.

Mine has never given me any problems BUT I am fortunate that it is positioned correctly above the ground when the coach is at proper ride height.

If you have one that is too low then remove it. If it is positioned correctly then it will not be a problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a product I'm now using Amazon.com: Road Wrap 18" x 100': Automotive. I use to use a bra, but had to clean it every few days to keep dirt from getting under it, especially in the rain. No offense to others, but getting down on my knees to install one of those blankets or removing it when it's filthy is not for me. I'm also not a fan of the plastic air dams that you have to deal with each time and find a place to store. I know these work for some, just not for me.

I'm now using the Road Wrap. Just stick it to one side, even on a dirty car, and pull it over to the other and slice it with the letter opener they provide. In ALaska, you could even put some on the windshield for that extra layer of protection.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club

Here is the windshield protection I used in Alaska, it worked great, no dings. Slips under the hood so it protects the windshield wipers, just open your door, slip the insulation into the car, close the door, installed. It is about 3/16 thick foil insulation and is available from Lowe's, HD and many other hardware stores
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463890132.620534.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	127763