Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Rock protection on Toads?

We just purchased a new 2014 Ford Edge AWD Limited as our main vehicle and Toad. To avoid the "battle scars" that our Sidekick has suffered from being towed we would like to fit a shield to our Blue Ox tow bar. I am interested in what other members have utilized to stop their expensive Toads getting beaten to death by road debris. I know that the first chip or graze to the beautiful new paintwork will be a bitter pill to swallow!

I have reviewed some of the available products but I always find members of this forum have some great insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We like the Protect A Tow, easy on and off, so far works great.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased the Blue Ox Kargard Amazon.com: Blue Ox BX8870 KarGard Vehicle Protector: Automotive and it has worked very well protecting my new Cherokee. Nice part is it folds in half so I can easily put it in the back of towed in a large bicycle bag.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
We like the Protect A Tow, easy on and off, so far works great.
X2!
We installed the UltraGuard solid rubber flap under the rear of the MH, and use the Protect-A-Tow under the towbars for what I believe is the maximum protection for the toad!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I purchased the Blue Ox Kargard Amazon.com: Blue Ox BX8870 KarGard Vehicle Protector: Automotive and it has worked very well protecting my new Cherokee. Nice part is it folds in half so I can easily put it in the back of towed in a large bicycle bag.
We use the same Kargard by BlueOx and a custom made Windshield Cover.
It did a pretty good job on our Alaska trip but ended up removing the Full Width Mud Flap as it was picking up small stones, throwing them against the Kargard and Toad then bouncing off them back of the coach. Back of the coach was riddled with rock chips. Removed the mud flap in Whitehorse and No More Rocks.
IMHO the Mudflaps directly behind the wheels do more good than the big Advertiser.
Important, Install them so they Just clear the ground with the air bags dumped.
I will not be replacing the full width flap.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Check out Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products

We have had two toad covers for two toads and two bra's for a Tiffin 08 and 13 Allegro Bus. We drive between 100-200 miles on gravel each year and take the Bus and toad to Alaska every second year. If they don't have one already designed for your toad, they'll make one if you bring them the unit.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Your first line of defense is the mud flaps directly behind the tires. They need to be wide enough to cover your tires. The length should be just above the ground when your coach has the air out, and come up to be 4-6" off the ground as you move down the road.
This will stop the majority of the rocks, and protect underneath the coach as well as your toad. Then you have the mud flap across the back to stop not only the rocks that are still flying, but also to stop any alligators in the road that might be centered in your lane.
The guards between the coach and the toad are another step in protecting your toad, but it still lets some rocks hit the bottom panels of the toad.
Think of it like your gas mileage, you try to do everything you can to get the best you can.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was very interested in the Protect a Tow but found it would not work for me, due to my rear exhaust on my DP. At the Redmond FMCA Rally I saw and bought their Tow Defender (Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories). I have towed over 700 miles an it seem to do the job. The Tow Defender mounts to your hitch stinger and goes over the tow bar arms and attaches to the toads hitch. All of this is above the exhaust so no heat damage.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

We tow a 2011 Edge. Bought the Coastline cover and used it for two years when leaving Long Island heading to Florida (snow, salt, rocks). Good cover, goes from the bumper to the doors and to the top of the windshield. Have not used in two years, and no real marks on front of edge. Will keep fro trip to Alaska.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Check out Coastline RV and Off Road - RV Products

We have had two toad covers for two toads and two bra's for a Tiffin 08 and 13 Allegro Bus. We drive between 100-200 miles on gravel each year and take the Bus and toad to Alaska every second year. If they don't have one already designed for your toad, they'll make one if you bring them the unit.
Pigman: I have always liked this concept but do these covers cause paint damage from debris under the cover when it's not possible to wash the vehicle before fitting the cover? Or indeed when the vehicle is clean.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

We have towed for over 23,000 miles using the Roadmaster Tow Defender and standard mudflap with no paint or windshield chips to our toad. Roadmaster also offers a motorhome bracket for storage of the Tow Defender while parked. It is handy.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchin View Post
Pigman: I have always liked this concept but do these covers cause paint damage from debris under the cover when it's not possible to wash the vehicle before fitting the cover? Or indeed when the vehicle is clean.
I won't put the cover on a toad that is covered with mud or sand, but I also don't obsess about the toad being spotless. If the truck's been in a recent rain storm and I can't feel any obvious grit when I run a finger over the dirty parts, I'm fine. To clean the toad after a particularly dirty run, like a number of miles over dirt or gravel roads, I use a bucket of water (about 3 gal) with about 2-3 tablespoons of powdered Spic-And-Span. I use a REAL chamois wrung out tight and wipe down, rinsing frequently. If I'm traveling on mud (like the Top Of The World Highway in Alaska, 100 mi of dirt) I'll spray the back of the bra off with a hose before I put it back on. This is a VERY extreme case and my usual procedure for cleaning the back of the bra after a full day's travel in rain is to let it dry and then brush and beat on the edges where the sand accumulates. I have NOT had any paint damage on the toads or on the RV's I've used their bra's on.

An interesting aside to this is that with the bra on and when traveling on a very dirty road, I find a lot of small stones on the roof of the truck, but no paint damage. We have a very high, large cap on the pickup bed, and I do see some light paint chipping on the forward sloping part of the cap. I have also found stones up to about the size of a pencil eraser on the PU cap roof at the rear end, near the upper brake light. None of the chipping on the cap is noticeable when standing on the ground, and we run our rig on some fairly extreme runs. Overall, I can't think of any better method to protect the front of the toad and Bus under normal conditions, let alone the extreme runs we make.

Overall, we've probably got about 180,000 tow miles with these bra's on 2 toads and 3 class A coaches. Our first coach was a Bounder and used it's own bra.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
We have towed for over 23,000 miles using the Roadmaster Tow Defender and standard mudflap with no paint or windshield chips to our toad. Roadmaster also offers a motorhome bracket for storage of the Tow Defender while parked. It is handy.
Is it just me or what. I am having trouble keeping track of the Roadmaster Defender and Guardian. The Guardian is a hard shield and has a storage option on the hitch. The Defender is a fabric horizontal sheet that basically lays over the tow bar. People seem to be using Guardian and Defender in in interchangeably. I'm confused.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ditto Protect-A-Tow! Just put 2800 miles on it to the South and back to Long Island.

Tags
toad, toads