Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #1

rodent ate wires in toad!! what to use

I guess I have heard of this but was amazed it happen to our toad!! Covered storage area in nice location. What can I put in engine compartment to keep them away? I heard of downy dryer sheets or peppermint oil but not sure if either of these will do the job. Little worried about engine compartment of coach now. appreciate any ideas that have worked for fellow RVers.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #2

KZ RV Club
What a bad dream! I have no idea but I'm looking forward to what people advise!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can try those things, but.. They will simply use the dryer sheets for nesting, and the oil will dry out or they will get used to it. Best way is to simply show up, open the hood and start the engine about once a week or 2. Non-use is the biggest reason they 'move in'.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Friend of mine had his new car in the shop for a wire harness replacement due to mice

I found some signs that they had been in my conversion van during the time I was away last year. I was fortunate they didn't chew any wires. They shredded the paper towel roll, opened the foil sealed granola bar and cleaned that out, leaving a shredded foil mess in the process. But no nest in the van, probably too cold in there during the winter.

I leave a tray of mouse poison on the van's floor now when I leave. I figure if they have something to eat they might not chew on the wires and if they do eat they go bye bye soon...
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

I have heard the covering on a lot of wires is Soy based and is actually food to rodents. I know that the surveyors tape and flags are Soy, we marked a lot of trails at the Marlboro Ranch in Montana and a month later it was gone! The deer and other wildlife ate it like candy. We use a mouse trap in our basement of our MH in the wintertime.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
I guess I have heard of this but was amazed it happen to our toad!! Covered storage area in nice location. What can I put in engine compartment to keep them away? I heard of downy dryer sheets or peppermint oil but not sure if either of these will do the job. Little worried about engine compartment of coach now. appreciate any ideas that have worked for fellow RVers.
Bobcat urine has worked for me for quite some time.

Bobcat Urine

Chemical in Predator Pee Scares the Pee Out of Rodents : 80beats

» Sniffing Bobcat Urine Office for Science & Society
Route 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

This is a problem at our Membership Campground too. We buy Squirrel poison and use that. I've always wondered about spraying diluted Habanero pepper sauce . I know it would wash off eventually but it would be easy to re apply and not too costly. I thought of using a small garden sprayer that you pump up with a wand.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I would suggest a couple of cats on a short leash under the hood!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Put a few bars of Irish Spring soap under the hood. That seems to keep most critters away.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Search the forum for mice, you will find hours worth of reading on this issue. Peppermint oil is effective but does need to be replenished. Mice are allergic to it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #11

Traps with peanut butter.

When I stored the rig I set traps and checked them once per week. Worked!
Tried Decon, and they died, but when off to hidden places before expiring. Had to follow the smell in the Spring.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Traps are an effective tool. One thing to know about traps, they need to be close to the entry point as mice can do a lot of damage before they finally make it to a trap. Look for mouse droppings to understand their pattern of travel and place traps along their path.

Better to keep them out of the MH/RV than to try and deal with them once inside.

I use peppermint oil outside and traps inside incase one of the little buggers has a gas mask and makes it past the peppermint oil.

The PO of my MH let the mice in. Took me a while to find and repair all the damaged wires.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

There has been a similar problem, reported at our airport because of soy based wiring covers. The bunnies love that soy! Apparently using a food source as wiring covering started about 2002.
Under-the-Hood-Winked Denver Airport Parking Rabbits Eat Car Wiring | Wacktrap
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have used moth balls for years with sucess but don't use too many - snell. I just found that it was hard to catch enough moths.

Tags
toad