Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Roof rack for Wrangler

We tow a Wrangler and I want to get a rack to carry my 10 ft. kayak. Interested in recommendations or experiences others may have with such.
nwtfhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Soft top or hard top?

If hardtop Yakima and Thule make universal rail kits that you can install to the top. Then feet attach to the rails which will carry accessory bars, racks, cargo boxes, etc. I researched this awhile back for my Jeep but never implemented. Makes for a flexible system. Many of the accessory item are available via Craigslist.

If soft top, then something like the Warrior or Wilderness racks with frames that extend to the tub are needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I too tow a Wrangler ('13 Unlimited) We have considered what it would take to add a rack. While the fiberglass is pretty tough I would hate to overload it and crack it. I think it could be accomplished by adding a bit of reinforcement on the top and bottom of the roof. Sorta like laying down on thin ice to avoid crashing through by spreading the weight out over a larger area.
We have two removable front roof panels so the real panel would have to carry the load. I have no idea what to use on the outside for a non-rust (if metal is used) reinforcement. Interior might not be as big as a problem. Let me know how you deal with this?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We carry two 14 foot kayaks (and sometimes a roof box) on the Smittybilt 76713 SRC. We added the Thule pads to protect the kayaks. Works with the top both on and off the Wrangler. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1969c.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	63787  
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a picture without the kayaks. \ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SmittyBilt76713SRCRoofRack.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	63788  
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Ken,
Looks like what I am hoping to get for my kayak. After I add a rack I was wondering about how to support the kayak. Looks like the Thule pads you have would work fine. How do the fasten to the rack and what size are they?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The picture is not too clear; I'll attempt to describe: Using a standard rachet/tiedown strap, I start on the driver-side of the rack. I hook one end on the rack's cross-beam and loop up-and-over the first kayak wrapping the strap under the cross-beam and then back up-and-over the second kayak. I hook the other end of the strap to the cross-beam on the passenger-side of the rack, and then ratchet tight. I repeat the process for the other end of the kayaks.

If we are using the Thule box AND carrying two kayaks, I use the same process except that I stand the kayaks on their sides and use a third strap to hold the kayaks together (the SmittyBilt comes with three cross-beams) anchoring on the center cross-beam. On our kayaks, when on their sides, the cockpit is in just the right place to hold the fore and aft straps apart so they do not creep together from road vibrations.

HDX 12 ft. Ratchet Tie-Downs (4-Pack)-FH-8383 at The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HomeDepotStraps.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	63862   Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeDepotStrap.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	63863  

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

Thanks Ken, looks like a great system.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

I have a tilting Kargo Master on my JKU. Congo cage I think its called. Best for the money.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof