Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #15

FWIW. I tow a 2300 lb. Chevy Spark behind our converted boxtruck which is based on an E 350 with a 7.3 Powestroke diesel. The turbo diesel produces over 500 lb-ft of very useful torque and my gvw is about 12,000 lbs. The Spark adds about 19% to the total weight that my rig is pulling. We just returned from a 1200 mile trip pulling the toad for the first time on a route that we have taken numerous times over the last year and which begins at sea level and ends at over 5,000 ft. While I would agree that the toad is barely noticeable most of the time the effect on steep grades is quite noticeable. I can still maintain good speeds going uphill but the transmission downshifts much more frequently and spends mch more time in lower gears. I cant help but believe that any gasser would be similarly if not more affected. Mathematically I could tow a vehicle that weighs close to 8,000 lbs and still be within my truck's published gcvw, but I sure wouldn't want to. My point being that I would always choose the lightest toad that would serve my needs if for no other reason than to ease the strain on my tow vehicle's powertrain. As a side note, although we bought the Spark based on weight, flat towability, and price; we have since rediscovered the joy of driving a nimble, light weight, economical car. We have 3 other very nice vehicles that each weigh two tons or better and they havent been driven a combined 50 miles during the last month. Of course as always YOMV.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pull a 4,000lb toad with my lowly gasser.

Live in California and travel all over the mountains out here in the west. You'll do fine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Based on what I have seen here, I would fix the Equinox while it is under warranty and get rid of it based on ongoing reliability concerns.

Go look at a Honda Fit. It is reliable, lightweight and roomy and will make a really great toad.

The early ones are all towable. Starting with 2015 or 2016 (??) the automatics have a CVT transmission and only the stick shift models are towable so be careful and make sure what you are looking at can be flat towed. You can tell by looking in the owner's manual under "recreational towing".
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll offer my opinion on the Sonic. First off, I do have one and flat tow it behind my previous 36 foot Class A gasser and now my current Class B gasser. My Sonic is a 2016 LTZ (i.e. "top of the line") hatchback with the 1.4L turbo engine and 6 speed automatic transmission. I bought it used in 2017 for $12K with an original list price of around $21K. I would never buy a Sonic new. They depreciate way too fast, as can be seen above. Chevy never advertises the Sonic. It's probably a loss leader. Most are sold to rental companies or fleet buyers. That being said, I really enjoy my Sonic. It has given me zero issues. If you decide on buying the 2018, be wise of a few things. I don't believe any "RS" automatic transmission version is towable 4 down. The 1.8L engine uses a timing belt, whereas the 1.4L turbo engine has a timing chain. Belts can break, causing catastrophic engine damage, but chains seldom break.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #19

Thanks to everyone for all the support and advice. The initial shock has worn off, and I am currently leaning towards keeping the Equinox long enough to get it fixed, and then probably try to sell it ourselves. I think we can get a fair amount more than the 6K they are offering us for it. That said we are going to go in and look at a Cruze tomorrow to see if the back is big enough. They found a manual one at another dealer, they trade with, and get the price down to actually less than the Sonic was even with its 20% off.

Since this all started though, I have realized that getting a car set up to tow, looks to be close to 3K, and we were originally thinking about a used car to avoid hitting the retirement fund so hard. Probably wise for us to go back to looking at used.
KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #20
rr7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Visit chevy dealer...read a 2018 Equinox owners manual. Dinghy (4 wheel down) section. The 2018 Equinox is about 300 lbs lighter than 2017. About 3300 lbs. 4 wheel drive NO. Read other posts on iRV2. Learn how to set up Equinox to tow! Charge line needed from mo ho to toad.
Enjoy....
rr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #21

Bring down the stuff you want to carry and try them in the Sonic hatchback. We went with hatchback because of the room and the wide opening doors. It is an economical and good traveling car and easy to set up to tow.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my Sonic, ready to tow. I tow it behind my Class B Roadtrek loaded for a 6 month snowbird stay in FL. The inside of the Sonic is filled with clothes and other accessories. The cargo box has a 2 person inflatable kayak and suit cases. When not being towed, it will comfortably carry 4 people.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181022_100536.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	226375
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #23

We ended up going for the Cruze. It was just enough bigger in the cargo area.
KWiK is offline   Reply With Quote