Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #1

I have a Brake Buddy aux brake. I hook it up per instructions. Seems to work well most times.
The problem is, when I get to where I am going and unhook, I crank the toad and immediately smell rubber as in belt or maybe brake pads. It seems to be coming from the front of the toad or the ac is picking up a smell from the engine compartment. The wheels and tires seem no hotter than usual and from what I can see the rotors are normal. Not burned or blue as if over heated. Any ideas.

Ron

Maggie (Cat)
Huland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #2

I have a Brake Buddy aux brake. I hook it up per instructions. Seems to work well most times.
The problem is, when I get to where I am going and unhook, I crank the toad and immediately smell rubber as in belt or maybe brake pads. It seems to be coming from the front of the toad or the ac is picking up a smell from the engine compartment. The wheels and tires seem no hotter than usual and from what I can see the rotors are normal. Not burned or blue as if over heated. Any ideas.

Ron

Maggie (Cat)
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
With everything, on the toad, being normal the smell might be coming from the coach! Check the fluid levels (oil, coolant, hyraulic, etc.). If everything is correct, with the engine running look and sniff around the rear of the coach.

The next time you tow, before turning off the toad, put the passenger compartment air intake on recirculate. If you can not find the smell, this might eliminate it from coming in the toad passenger compartment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #4

I had this same problem with our Yukon. By rolling around and snifing etc.... I found it was just the grime off the road and whatever else had gotten onto the exhaust while towing, usually it burned off within a few minutes and all was well after that.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, that's a common problem with most toads. However, it's really not a problem, more like an inconvenience.

Your coach creates a vacuum at the rear when it drives down the road. This vacuum picks up lighter debris, most noticeably rubber shards. This stuff get's sucked into your toad's engine compartment and tends to cling to things. Later on, when you fire up the toad the exhaust system heats up and fries the rubber shards laying on it. It's really not a problem and it goes away soon enough. Some toads are worse than others. It all depends on how the airflow is routed through the engine bay. If you have a nice big grill opening with a front chin spoiler it'll be much more noticeable than a front end that's more sealed up. SUVs tend to gather the most it seems.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Dutchman is correct. We get that odor a lot when towing a few hundred miles. I went nuts when we first started towing 4 down trying to find a burned wire or a hose/belt that was too close to a heat source. Turned out that after I drove around for a little while the odor went away. Had someone on one of the forums tell me it was road grime on the exhaust headers burning off.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is what makes this forum great. I had been towing a small vehicle on and off for 18 years. Never had a problem. When I purchased my new motorhome I decided to tow a pichup truck. Every time I get to a new destination, I unhook and start the truck and I get that burnt rubber smell. Open the hood and it would be stronger but would soon go away within a few minutes. I have been expecting to eventually replace the fan belt, wiring harness, brakepads, etc. Now I know....
Old 08-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Thanks everybody, the road debris idea makes perfect sense. Now I am more comfortable using the Brake Buddy.

Maggie (Cat)