Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rumbling Saturn Vue toad

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes...
We tow a 2004 Saturn Vue, no problems with the towing part, but the car makes an awful rumbling noise when we drive it. Worse on bumpy or uneven roads, and when we go slower. Not so much on smooth roads at faster speeds. We have had the car looked at by one mechanic, he suggested that it may be loose sway bars? The brakes and shocks are in good shape. Has anyone had this experience with their Vue?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnshirlene View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes...
We tow a 2004 Saturn Vue, no problems with the towing part, but the car makes an awful rumbling noise when we drive it. Worse on bumpy or uneven roads, and when we go slower. Not so much on smooth roads at faster speeds. We have had the car looked at by one mechanic, he suggested that it may be loose sway bars? The brakes and shocks are in good shape. Has anyone had this experience with their Vue?
I have read on another site where someone was having a similar problem. Turn on to be the tow brackets on the car. Seems that they were not installed to Blue OX instructions.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When did the noise start and where does it appear to be coming from?
We have an '04 with ALL the factory repair manuals.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to both of you for responding. Actually the noise started right after we bought the car, we didn't hear it while test driving and no problems were reported when it was checked out. My DH drove it back from Atlanta and that was when he first noticed it. The noise seems to come from underneath closer to the back but we can't pinpoint a specific area. My DH has gotten under the car and tried to shake all of the parts that may be causing the noise but just hasn't been able to pinpoint it. We have towed it since then and driven it neither seems to have had any effect on it as far as getting worse but it is loud inside the car. To me it sounds like something is getting ready to fall off, needless to say it scares me more than it scares him. We are talking now about taking it to a Chevrolet dealer's service center to see if they can help. On the other hand we really like the car it is the perfect weight and size for us to tow with our gas motorhome.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #5

We have a 2004 Vue also and it doesn't make the noise you are describing. Is it AWD? If so, there may be something wrong with the rear drive differential. Also, did you buy it new or used? There was a recall on the Vue early in the model year for a suspension parts problem. Perhaps if you are not the original owner, the original owner did not have the recall done. Another possibility may be a bad tire.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Boy did I mess up, sorry. I missed read your post. Thought the noise was when you where towing. I either need to wear glasses or learn how to read.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Vue Rumbling

I experienced the same noise after towing a 2002 Saturn L-200 with Firestone tires. Replaced the Firestones with GoodYears and the noise went away.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
Old 09-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The car isn't an AWD, we did buy it used. We will check to see if the recall has been completed on it and check the get the tires checked again.

Thanks a lot for the advice, we really appreciate the help.

OneRVer, you don't need glasses, I just wasn't very clear in my explanation.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We purchased ours when it was one year old. The dealership had rotated the tires for probably the first time. The rear did not like the way the front tires were worn! Noise continued til new tires were put on the rear - - now it's rotate EVERY 5,000 miles and no noise.
We also had wind noise "flapping" the plastic (it's plastic you know) but that got louder as speed increased.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
All, we finally got our car back from the shop, the shocks were loose and that was causing the noise! Blissful silence (except for road noise of course, but we can live with that.

Thanks again
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnshirlene View Post
All, we finally got our car back from the shop, the shocks were loose and that was causing the noise! Blissful silence (except for road noise of course, but we can live with that.

Thanks again
Thanks for the follow-up. We have an '06 Vue, and our daughter has an '05. I will make a mental note in case we ever have the same problem.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote