Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Runaway Toad

A word of caution. A week ago, I was on a level RV site and went to unhook the Jeep Toad. As usual, I left the tranfer case in neutral, which allows me to push or pull to detach from the trailer hitch ball. I unhooked the electrical umbilical and safety cables.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I was parked on a slight incline that proceeded to steepen. Once the Toad towbar was disconnected, I relalized that I could not let go of the tow bar because the Toad started to roll backwards. I could not pull it forward to rehitch to the MH ball either.
Meanwhile, the toad started to roll, dragging me with it. I tried to steer it with the towbar to no avail as it gathered speed and ran into a tree, damaging the RR quarter.
Moral of the story. Set chocks fore and aft a short distance from the wheels. Don't disconnect safety cables before disconnecting towbar.
If this helps others, I will feel better about the damage to the Jeep, AND grateful that the only damage was to a tree and the Jeep.

ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the strong words of wisdom.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things happen!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good points. I'll change my process to hook the safety cables first and unhook them last..

tnks
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When I started towing our CRV, I thought of that possibility. I made it a habit to open the car door and put the shifter stick back into Park before I started disconnecting. There was always enough slop in the transmission to allow for wiggling the steering wheel and letting the car move a smidgen.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ouch. I have thought about this before but I am also guilty of doing what you did. I guess I better rethink that....
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
When un hooking my Jeep JK, I always push down on the arm release's, put the Jeep in gear , and move it forward a couple of inches and then put it in park and finish un hooking it.......
Same hooking up, I leave it in park till the tow bar is hooked up.......then pick up on the arm release's to lock them.........then back up very slowly, to set them into the lock position, then into neutral for towing.

That would of been a bad experience being dragged trying to stop your toad!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpaero View Post
A word of caution. A week ago, I was on a level RV site and went to unhook the Jeep Toad. As usual, I left the tranfer case in neutral, which allows me to push or pull to detach from the trailer hitch ball. I unhooked the electrical umbilical and safety cables.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I was parked on a slight incline that proceeded to steepen. Once the Toad towbar was disconnected, I relalized that I could not let go of the tow bar because the Toad started to roll backwards. I could not pull it forward to rehitch to the MH ball either.
Meanwhile, the toad started to roll, dragging me with it. I tried to steer it with the towbar to no avail as it gathered speed and ran into a tree, damaging the RR quarter.
Moral of the story. Set chocks fore and aft a short distance from the wheels. Don't disconnect safety cables before disconnecting towbar.
If this helps others, I will feel better about the damage to the Jeep, AND grateful that the only damage was to a tree and the Jeep.

Sounds like a good point well taken

Thanks for the share
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a process as described above by others to preclude this from occuring. However, I have on occation not followed process and had some rolling of the jeep toad. I like adding the chocks to the process as a backup. I have a small plastic yellow pair seldom used I can task. Thanks for the post
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

I solved this problem years ago. It is called "the wife". We disconnect/set up as a team and we both have our responsibilities. For the toad disconnect, she gets in the toad, starts it up in neutral and depending on alignment of the toad to the rv, may have to turn the steering wheel left or right to release tension on tow bar arms. After disconnect she parks the car where we want it and she goes back in the rv and does her chores and I do my chores of autoleveling, slides, utility hookups and of course the most important one (and last one): lawn chairs out under a shaded awning, cold beer in hand.
Has worked without a hitch so far.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Almost been there. Saved by safety cable...
Thanks for the reminder.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
be glad it went THAT way and not toward u - things can be fixed

I've found fixing me takes more and more work every morning !
Old 10-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

I subscribe to the chock idea. That allows a little movement to disconnect without anything getting out of control. I can attest to a somewhat higher than normal heart rate when the toad starts dragging you backwards. Luckily I had enough room to open the door and pull the emergency brake before it went too far. It is indeed a learning experience that lingers. Thanks for sharing!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
When I started towing our CRV, I thought of that possibility. I made it a habit to open the car door and put the shifter stick back into Park before I started disconnecting. There was always enough slop in the transmission to allow for wiggling the steering wheel and letting the car move a smidgen.
I do the same. Depending on what we are towing. The Explorer goes into park the Scion goes into first gear.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad