Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Running or not

Talking to an auto tech the other day about our 2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I told him I usually run the car's engine before we leave a site and when we stop along the way. He strongly suggested that the car be running while being towed so as to keep transmission lubricants flowing.

How many of you keep your car running while towing it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

if you have it running, that could open you up to all kinds of problems, not to mention the miles towed would be counted on the toad's odometer. What would happen if you broke a serpentine belt, or a radiator hose? There wouldn't be anybody in the toad to see the idiot lights going off. check the owners manual and follow their recommendations.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the correct transmission with the transfer case that can be placed in neutral, then the transmission isn't turning. So there's no reason to have the engine running. I don't know of any vehicle that has a factory recommendation to run the engine while towing.

I wouldn't use that tech for any work on my toad...
Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Great feedback... thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Many of us are towing vehicles that don't have a transfer case. For those that are approved for use this way, the necessary "stuff" that needs lube going down the road, is either immersed in it, or splashed by it while rolling.

If I wanted to tow a vehicle that WAS NOT approved to be towed 4 down, and I wanted to anyway, THEN, running the engine with the trans in neutral might be an option.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have been flat-towing our 2004 Jeep Liberty (automatic transmission) for over 10 years without any problems. I simply follow the owner's manual, which for the 2004 model says nothing about running the engine. However, my mechanic recommends starting the engine and running the transmission thru all the gears every 200 miles or so. You may ask your mechanic if this was what he was advising you to do. We do not have to disconnect the battery, either.

On a humorous side, be sure to put the emergency brake on before disconnecting the Jeep from the moho! Ask me how I know. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Talking to an auto tech the other day about our 2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I told him I usually run the car's engine before we leave a site and when we stop along the way. He strongly suggested that the car be running while being towed so as to keep transmission lubricants flowing.
How many of you keep your car running while towing it?
osgoor
If it were necessary to run my toad while towing I would find a different toad.
(BTW, me thinks you need to find a different auto tech).
Mel
'96 Safari, (100+ miles towing)
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

That was good advice for some cars that dont have transfer cases or after market tranny lubes or shaft disconnects but not the jeep liberty. Your mechanic does not understand the jeep liberty. You dont need to run the engine.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a transfer case that can be placed in neutral, there is no reason to run the toad in any transmission position. The transmission is as the seats, along for the ride when the TC is neutral.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For this post cars come in 3 flavors:
Many (most all stick shift for example and most JEEP 4WD with MANUAL transfer cases) No need to run the engine, no benefit from doing so.

Others: Specifically tell you to run the engine from time to time.

Others: You install the Remco Towign LP-1 Lube pump and let the motor home run the transmission fluid to keep it cool.

Or you can use a drive shaft disconnect or axle lock depending on the vehicle.

As for towing with the engine running... Well, I did that one time, from the campgrond where I was parked when I brought the car "Home" (Which is where I park it) to the dealer who put in the LP-1, about 5 miles, that is the only time I towed engine running.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
For this post cars come in 3 flavors:
Many (most all stick shift for example and most JEEP 4WD with MANUAL transfer cases) No need to run the engine, no benefit from doing so.

Others: You install the Remco Towign LP-1 Lube pump and let the motor home run the transmission fluid to keep it cool.
The only two options period.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do it at your own peril, I left my engine idling by mistake for an hour or so in hot weather, I don't remember the exact circumstances but I do remember the outcome

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
YGBSM!!

Ummmm, NO! Never leave the toad running, your auto tech is on crack or a moron, maybe both. He brings up a semi-valid point, but obviously knows very little about toads. Here's a good starting point -- read the Owner's Manual. Some vehicles cannot be towed for the reason he alludes to, but can be modified so you don't have to do something as unbelievably stoopid as leaving the engine running for six hours unattended to lube the tranny. In 2000, Blazers like mine came with one of three different transfer cases, only one of which was towable. I do believe most 4x4 Jeeps are towable, just put the tranny in park/3rd and the transfer case in neutral, but again READ THE OWNERS MANUAL! ANd slap that auto tech upside the head.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
If you have a transfer case that can be placed in neutral, there is no reason to run the toad in any transmission position. The transmission is as the seats, along for the ride when the TC is neutral.
WRONG!! This all varys by vehicle. As I said, Read the Owners Manual, don't ask friends or strangers on a website. Some if not most transfer cases cannot be towed for the same reason that most automatic transmissions cannot be towed; the lube is moved by rotation of the input shaft (bad) v rotation of the output shaft or both shafts (good). In 2000, the Chev Blazer came with 3 different transfer cases, a manual, an electronic and an automatic. Only the Automatic is towable without modification. RTFOM!
The transfer case rotation while towing, even in neutral, can cause fluid friction to the input shaft of the transfer case and then to the output shaft of the transmission. If the transmission is in neutral, this fluid friction can cause the output shaft of the transmission to rotate, albeit much slower. However, this un-lubricated rotation can cause damage, which is why one leaves the transmission in Park, or in gear for a manual. But again, RTOM.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote