Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV brake system??

I'm about to purchase a brake system for my towed car. I am looking at the RVibrake2 system. Has anyone had any experience with this system? I've read the reviews on their web site and everyone seems to like it very well. Compare this system verse the BrakeBuddy system.

thanks
bob
stewbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

Just my opinion but toad brakes tend to fall in to 2 categories--those that are "built in" to the toad and those that are fully portable. I went with the Brake Buddy [portable] 12 years ago and have had a few issues over the years--nothing major. In retrospect, the "built-in" models have some advantages. Downside to the portables is removing and storing the "box" while not in use.
Suspect most models work about the same. One school of thought is based on the fact that you Class=c or smaller rig needs additional stopping power if pulling a heavy toad. Then things like proportional braking are important features. The other school is that your Class=a rig is large enough to brake the toad so the primary reason[s] for a brake system is: 1-state laws; 2- insurance liability; and 3 peace of mind. Beyond this, most of what you will get from owners are preferences and opinions.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Been using the RViBrake for several years and love it. Simple to setup and remove. I've visited their office when I did the upgrade to the latest model and they are super nice people and great to work with. They get my vote for supplemental braking systems.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

I had one of the brake-in-a-box systems. It was a PITA. I now have an AF1 system. It has only one component to hook and unhook and store: the air hose. I love it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Started using the RViBrake2 this past camping season, and LOVE it! The only thing I would rather have is a ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake system which is the best in my book (we all have our own opinion). However, running that ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake line in the tight engine compartment of my Chevy Sonic toad would be a nightmare.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #6

I bought the SMI Delta Force (portable) brake and so far am very pleased. It uses inertia and the electrical brake signal for nearly proportional operation. Easy to set up and much smaller than competitors. It also has an integrated charge line for the toad. The unit uses an anchor cable attached to the floor board to maintain its position rather than being braced against the seat, thus saving the upholstery.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought the RVibrake2 and will be installing it in a new 2014 F150 this weekend. My reasoning beside the great reviews, was that the portables seemed the least invasive to me. It also much smaller than some other portables.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We switched to the RVI2 Brake system a year ago. The brake is OUTSTANDING with superb customer service! Add the Tire Pressure Sensors and you're ready to go!!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #9

I had a SMI brake system for 8 yrs on my Honda Odyssey. I have had the RVi for 2 yrs in my 2012 Explorer. I like the non-invasive system over any invasive system. Quick to set up and remove!! Can be used on my next toad. The owners are fantastic for customer service and support you may need!!!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have had the RVi then RVi2 (upgrade) units over the last 3 years. Great unit and design. Easy to install and remove and easy to store because of it's compact size.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I have used the RVI brake system for about 3 years. It is easy to place and remove. Takes less than a minute. Easy to store, just disconnect, grab handle and place in back of car. The only problem I have had was the lighter plug broke. That was my fault not paying attention to the way the plug stored.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbob View Post
I'm about to purchase a brake system for my towed car. I am looking at the RVibrake2 system. Has anyone had any experience with this system? I've read the reviews on their web site and everyone seems to like it very well. Compare this system verse the BrakeBuddy system.
thank
bob
I have to agree with Oldscout on the reasons to have a brake system with a large diesel motorhome....can't imagine a 4500 lb toad pushing a 45,000 lb RV..we've had motorhomes ..6.. since 1986..and finally this summer I got the RVibrake2.....for reasons #1 and #2.......I tow a 2004 Jeep Cherokee but set the brake for small suv and low resistance.....
the RVibrake2 is effortless to use....and small enough to store in a comp...also found their customer service to be excellent....as I broke the ant off the wireless control a cpl months after I bought it..they replaced at no charge in 10 days..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

While we are on the brake system subject has anyone used the "ready brake" system? Looks really basic similar to a surge system. You still need to get their breakaway kit but the braking system looks good? The price is good also.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #14

I use the RVi brake 2 in my Rio in the UK , works well behind Siesta , no problems. Excellent service from Jerad Burkhart 👍
Larryhuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake