Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #15

It sounds like you are over-loaded.

The Damon only has about 4000lbs set for towing (and this is only if the coach is not loaded)

GVCW 22000lbs?

The Jeep is 4500lbs dry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #16

I believe the problem is with the Jeep and not your MH. Based on your description it sounds like the Jeep is wandering back and forth slightly while being towed. This is caused by loose steering components and/or vehicle alignment. I would have the Jeep's steering components checked for looseness and a "Thrust Angle" alignment performed. I also would suggest setting the toe as close to 0 as possible with as much Castor as can be adjusted in. This should cure any wandering tendencies and improve the towing experience. The down side is you may notice a very slight wear increase on the inside edges of the front tires of the Jeep.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreco View Post
It sounds like you are over-loaded.

The Damon only has about 4000lbs set for towing (and this is only if the coach is not loaded)

GVCW 22000lbs?

The Jeep is 4500lbs dry
I think this could be the problem as well, trying to tow over your tow capacity.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I think this could be the problem as well, trying to tow over your tow capacity.
Yep. As I said ealier...we need the GCWR, GVWR and toad weight.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #19

I apologize if I missed something - or if you have actually towed the jeep for more than a mile or so with these symptoms.... It sounds to me like the jeep ignition is in the setting that allows the wheel and steer tires to make the initial turn .. but when the wheel is turned, it then locks and the wheels will not go back to straight position .... point is... are you absolutely positive that the key / ignition is in the position next to "on" ? On mine, thats the only position that lets the steering wheels freely turn....
And if the wheels are off even slightly, it definately can be felt in the MH..
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Yep. As I said ealier...we need the GCWR, GVWR and toad weight.
X3 I've towed my GC 30K miles and the only time I had a sway prolem was the 5 miles I towed it with the wheels locked, they were just barely turned but the MH was wagging all over the road, it' too heavy for you MH.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been following this thread and agree the problem probably is with the TOAD. If after the TOAD is checked out, camber, caster, thrust alaignment, steering box, weight, hitch mountings, etc. and the problem persists I'd start looking at the suspension of the MH. Could the rear of the MH be normally be floating left to right? You probably would not feel this with out the TOAD. With the TOAD attached, could the TOAD be stabilizing the rear of the MH and now the front seems to floating. OR is there a problem in the front suspension that is allowing the tail to wag the dog. Some thoughts outside the box. Just my two cents...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #22

Can the toad be pulled by another vehicle to see what happens, can somebody ride in the toad at a low speed to maybe see what is happening?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyatwell View Post
Any help would be greatly appreciated I have a 2000 Damon intruder that drives and handles great it is a real pleasure to drive however as soon as hook my toad (2005 grand Cherokee) it all seems to change it feels like I'm driving from the seam of my pants constantly trying to correct the steering if there is any wind it is worsens , I have put new shocks on front with a steering stabilizer and had the front end alignment checked ,these things helped a little but not much.any suggestions or ideals would be great
Thanks in advance
Tony
Your Grand Cherokee is to heavy to be towed by a gas motorhome. The motorhome has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. The Grand Cherokee weighs almost 6,000 lbs empty. In 2000 the heaviest Ford chassis chassis only had a GVWR of 20,500 lbs and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs. Even though the GCWR is 5,500 lbs more than th GVWR the chassis is only rated to tow 5,000 lbs.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #24

How old are your tires in the front of your RV? Did you check the allignment on the toad as well?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #25

Bingo!!!!!!!! quote(it is a all time 4wheel drive but it supposedly disengages when u set it to tow mode )Quote
I have towed a jeep wrangler for the pass 8 years . never a problem but mine was a 4x4 with the shifter, 2H - 4H - N - 4L..... The manual called for pulling the jeep forward in the dr postion/ shutting the engine off/ shifting the transfer case to N shifting the transmission to Park and go.. Towed it for 8 years and never a problem with the jeep or while towing...... The newer AWD are a PITA