Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
paz

Does anyone know if the RV Underskirt previously made by Blue Ox is still being sold? Blue Ox discontinued it and I thought I read somewhere that someone else bought the design. I found some discussions about the RV Underskirt by using the "Find" button, but I can't find anything about who (if anyone) is making it now. A Google search also drew a blank.

We have a Protect-A-Tow that is about worn out (bungee cord is frayed, screen material is torn), but I DO NOT want to replace it with another Protect-A-Tow unless I absolutely have to. I'm sure the Protect-A-Tow is fine for most set-ups, but I wasn't too happy with it from the get-go because it is too short for our tow bar (drop receiver adds to our overall tow bar length) and it is too narrow at the toad end. I feel there are too many gaps that allow dirt and debris through. The reason I am interested in the RV Underskirt is that it was available in several sizes.

Any help locating the RV Underskirt would be appreciated.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
paz

Does anyone know if the RV Underskirt previously made by Blue Ox is still being sold? Blue Ox discontinued it and I thought I read somewhere that someone else bought the design. I found some discussions about the RV Underskirt by using the "Find" button, but I can't find anything about who (if anyone) is making it now. A Google search also drew a blank.

We have a Protect-A-Tow that is about worn out (bungee cord is frayed, screen material is torn), but I DO NOT want to replace it with another Protect-A-Tow unless I absolutely have to. I'm sure the Protect-A-Tow is fine for most set-ups, but I wasn't too happy with it from the get-go because it is too short for our tow bar (drop receiver adds to our overall tow bar length) and it is too narrow at the toad end. I feel there are too many gaps that allow dirt and debris through. The reason I am interested in the RV Underskirt is that it was available in several sizes.

Any help locating the RV Underskirt would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RV Underskirt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't know the date on this CraigsList post but it might be worth looking into...
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/848459356.html

Haven't seen anything I can remember about the Blue Ox model or a new producer.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
paz

Thanks for the lead, Capt Joe. I think there were at least 3 sizes of RV Underskirt and the guy who had that one on Craigs List doesn't know which one it is. Guess I need to keep looking.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
When you say "underskirt," I assume you are talking about the heavy rubber apron that hangs down between the drivers and the toad. I just had CW put one on our coach, specifically to catch as many stones and other foreign objects as possible.

I left the "fringe" type skirt in place just below the rear bumper to catch whatever dust, dirt, etc., it could; i.e., the lighter stuff. Seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a motorhome and towed a dinghy, we tried several methods/devices to keep the damage reduced on the dinghy and nothing worked better than the original Under Skirt. It is not hard to make your own since it is made from trampoline cloth. You need some bungee cord and clamps, a few small eye bolts, grommets and snap shackles. You will need to come up with a telescoping pole to hold the edges up when you make a turn.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blacktie.shooter:
When you say "underskirt," I assume you are talking about the heavy rubber apron that hangs down between the drivers and the toad. I just had CW put one on our coach, specifically to catch as many stones and other foreign objects as possible.

I left the "fringe" type skirt in place just below the rear bumper to catch whatever dust, dirt, etc., it could; i.e., the lighter stuff. Seems to work pretty well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The RV Underskirt, which was made by Blue Ox, is an apron that hangs from the motorhome to the toad. But it was a light-weight, perforated material, not heavy rubber.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 AM   #8
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
When we had a motorhome and towed a dinghy, we tried several methods/devices to keep the damage reduced on the dinghy and nothing worked better than the original Under Skirt. It is not hard to make your own since it is made from trampoline cloth. You need some bungee cord and clamps, a few small eye bolts, grommets and snap shackles. You will need to come up with a telescoping pole to hold the edges up when you make a turn.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ken, not a bad suggestion. I have toyed with the idea of making my own skirt since I already have the eye bolts (already mounted to the motorhome and toad), snap shackles, and spreader from the worn-out Protect-A-Tow. I would need to modify the spreader because I would be making the skirt bigger, but it could be done easily since the spreader is made from plastic conduit.

The problems are DW says her sewing machine probably can't handle the thickness of the material, and I haven't yet found a good source for the fabric and a long piece (25') of bungee cord material. Since we are full-timers, it's a little harder finding sources; but if I can't find a the original RV Underskirt, I may tackle making my own.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi paz,
I don't know if you have tried the Internet, but go here and you'll find a bunch of merchants who supply bungee cord products. Or just Google "bungee cord long" to get the same result.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paz,

To sew the material, try to find a sail maker if you are in a coastal area. They will most likely have the sewing machines to handle the thicker cloth. Might also try a shoe repair place and see if he could make any suggestions.

The sail maker would be the best bet because he should be able to set the grommets as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another product you may want to check out for the fabric portion would be the wind screen material they use around tennis courts. I have a friend who did side walls on his RV shelter with this produce nearly 10 years ago and it still is holding up well. A lot of resort type areas have companies that built and maintain tennis courts and would probably have the material in stock. As noted above, a sail maker would be a good place to get the sewing and hardward\e things done....or any place that does boat tops, covers, etc would be able to do it for you too.
Post a picture and description of your finished product. I might want to make one to protect our Vue.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
paz

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

I found several sources of bungee cord by the foot and the idea of going to a sail maker or someone who makes boat covers or custom tarps is a good idea to get the sewing done.

Looks like I might be making my own.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Paz, I found this place on the internet that appears to have what you are looking for, appears as if they are in-stock also, here is the link:

RV Underskirt.

Roadmaster also makes a product that is similar in nature called the "Tow Defender", here is a link:
Tow Defender.

Hope this helps,

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #14

Lowes and Home Depot sell a sunshade material in their garden departments that would work well. Ace or True Value hardware stores sell bungee cord by the foot from large rolls. We want to make one , but on steep slopes we sometimes drag our hitch on the pavement. Can anyone offer advice or insight on how to address that fact. I don't want to be scraping holes in my fabric. Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote