Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RVI Brake 2 and 2005 Jeep wrangler Rubi

Hello All,

I want to tow my Jeep Wrangler RUBI behind my DP... Can I install the RVI Brake 2 system on it (so I can move it to another future vehicle) or do I need to do the M & G Air Coach Brake System? I seem to go through lot's of vehicles and would hate to drop all that cash on the Jeep and end up selling it within a year or two.

What's the best way to go (Jeep install Brake system) flat towing a jeep wrangler 2005?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG CWO4 RET View Post
Hello All,

I want to tow my Jeep Wrangler RUBI behind my DP... Can I install the RVI Brake 2 system on it (so I can move it to another future vehicle) or do I need to do the M & G Air Coach Brake System? I seem to go through lot's of vehicles and would hate to drop all that cash on the Jeep and end up selling it within a year or two.

What's the best way to go (Jeep install Brake system) flat towing a jeep wrangler 2005?

Thanks in advance!
I use the RVI2 brake in our 2012 Wrangler all the time and it works great. It just sits in the floor pan without a lot of extra room for the cylinder, but it sets up very quick and easy. The nice thing is the only semi-permanent installation is the break-away wiring that runs from the front bumper to the RVI2 in the floor. It takes less than a minute to set it in, hook it up, hit the button three times to bleed off the vacuum assist and go. I'm not sure about the '05, but on our '12 there is a 12v outlet inside the console that is hot all the time.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
RVi2 can be moved to any vehicle. The breakaway switch is the only thing that requires "installation" on the vehicle. The brake unit takes less than a minute to setup in vehicle. The switch can be uninstalled and moved or a new one purchased for a few dollars.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance!
I use the RVI2 Brake System for my 2008 Wrangler. It works great the only issue I had was breaking off the antenna from the monitor. I sent it back and it was fixed no charge. I ran the breakaway switch and mounted it on the plastic guard under the bumper and as for the 2008 model year I have to disconnect the battery so I ran a separate hot line with an outlet on the end directly to the battery (that I put a knife switch on the positive cable). I keep it and the breakaway connection tucked up behind the console when I am not using them. As RVI2 depends on momentum and not your coaches brakes to activate you can use it in a DP or gas alike.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks in advance!
CG CW04 RET,
First off, a "Warrant" officer huh? That's great! Got great respect for Warrants. Anyway, speaking from experience of using a couple different auxiliary braking systems over the years, we just went to the M & G a few months ago. I wish I'd done it YEARS ago. I don't know how much you know about it but, in short, it's by far, for a diesel driver, the simplest and easiest system to deal with.

There's absolutely NOTHING on the inside of your Jeep, EVER! All that's needed for prep for towing is, a small curly cue air line between the two. It litterally takes about 3-4 seconds to hook up and you're done.

Now, as for your "problem" of switching vehicles (toads) on an "every so often basis", well, M & G sells refurbished units that are warrantied as good as the new ones and, are available for multiple toads, at a reduced price. The install on the coach side, is actually quite simple and takes maybe, if you're goofing around, about an hour.

The install on the Jeep side takes about twice that and, also is not very hard or technical. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The RVi2 is a great unit. It will work great in your Wrangler.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Rvi brake

I use the brake for two cars. When I tow my 2014 Jeep Rubicon, Wrangler 4 door and when we go longer distances my 2012 Ford Focus. Works great in both. I am like you, I tend to change cars, probably more than most.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great info, Thanks all. I've ordered the RVI brake for the wrangler...

Tags
brake